Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paulyboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2007
I need some recommendations for wireless all in one (print, scan, and copy).

This will be for home use. Occasional printing of mostly text orientated documents with perhaps a photo every now and then. I'd like to use the scanner to scan all my important documents into my Mac so they're easier to keep track of. So an auto document feeder capability would come in handy for scanning multiple documents at a time. The scanner would also have to work wirelessly. Whatever copy features the device offers isn't really that important because I will probably rarely make copies of anything. I do not need fax capability.

I'm using an Airport express with my iMac (late 2006) but don't plan on plugging the device into the airport express (I don't think the scanning functionality works through the airport express anyways). I'm going to place the device in another location in my home because there's already too much clutter around my iMac.

I'm currently using Leopard but will probably have Snow Leopard before long when I get a new iMac in the near future (depending on when Apple releases the next iMacs).

I would prefer not to spend over $100 but can go a little higher if needed. I've done a fair amount of research into all the ones and I'm still stumped over which one to choose because there's just so many.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

-Paul

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I understand my setup doesn't fit all of your criteria but thought it might be a bit helpful as an alternative.

I have a Canon MX700 Pixma connected via ethernet to my Time Capsule. It's a multi-function (Print, copy, scan, fax) with an auto-feeding tray. I use it primarily for document printing, photocopying, and scanning of docs and some photos---very happy with quality and speed. As it is networked to my wireless router, it also affords me the ability to print and scan (supposedly, haven't tried it as I'm plugged into my LAN whenever I need to scan) from anywhere in the house on either my Macbook or Mini. Prints speeds are pretty quick, color or B & W. Haven't printed any photos on it yet as I have a separate small photo printer.

Paulyboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2007
I understand my setup doesn't fit all of your criteria but thought it might be a bit helpful as an alternative.

I have a Canon MX700 Pixma connected via ethernet to my Time Capsule. It's a multi-function (Print, copy, scan, fax) with an auto-feeding tray. I use it primarily for document printing, photocopying, and scanning of docs and some photos---very happy with quality and speed. As it is networked to my wireless router, it also affords me the ability to print and scan (supposedly, haven't tried it as I'm plugged into my LAN whenever I need to scan) from anywhere in the house on either my Macbook or Mini. Prints speeds are pretty quick, color or B & W. Haven't printed any photos on it yet as I have a separate small photo printer.

Thanks a lot for your advice. I ended up going down to Best Buy and buying the Canon Pixma 620b. They had it on sale for $99.99. I would've ordered it from Amazon but I needed it right away so I didn't mind spending the extra 10 bucks. It doesn't have an automatic document feeder but that really wasn't that big a deal to me.

This is the first printer I ever purchased from Canon and it's also my first all-in-one. So far I really like it although I've only printed out a few text documents and scanned a few photos so far.

I did manage to set it up wirelessly with my Airport express. It took a while to go through the setup process but I didn't run into any problems like some others did in customer reviews of similar wireless Canon all-in-ones.

I can see why Canon all-in-ones are so highly regarded. It looks like it's going to be a great device for me and the software is pretty decent too. :)

-Paul

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.