Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brigrat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
OK, bare with me, I am very new to the mac world. Here is my problem:

I own a PowerBook G4, with the DVD/CDRW combo drive. My drive will play DVD's, or any cd that I have burned (either on my old PC, or on my mac), but it will not play any CD that I have purchased, including music cd's from the store, driver cd's for peripherals, etc.

What is wrong with my powerbook? Am I simply not doing something right, or is my Mac screwed up?

It seems like if a drive will read burned cd's, and any DVD thrown its way, it should read any other cd as well, what is my problem? Any help would be great!

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
as far as the music cds - are the audio cds mounting on the desktop as Audio CDs? is it opening iTunes? if not, if you insert the music cds in, and then open up iTunes does it show the cd above the playlists on the left?

also, with the driver cds - try putting those in, go under Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility and see if it is mounted in there as well.

Brigrat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
FightTheFuture said:
as far as the music cds - are the audio cds mounting on the desktop as Audio CDs? is it opening iTunes? if not, if you insert the music cds in, and then open up iTunes does it show the cd above the playlists on the left?

also, with the driver cds - try putting those in, go under Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility and see if it is mounted in there as well.

the cd's aren't mounting anywhere. Very Strange!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.