PDA

View Full Version : G5 left @ my front door... =(

Blackheart
Jul 10, 2004, 03:38 AM
So I just received my G5 this week and when I woke up, I found that the delivery guy just left the G5 on my front doorstep. No outside box or anything, just the big 'ol "G5" on the box. For being a $2500 computer, you'd think they might require a signature or something. Has anyone else had a computer delivered from Apple that was just dropped off? Is this Apple that isn't requiring a signature or just the delivery companies getting REALLY lazy?

Damn conscience...always getting in the way of me getting "free" computers...

JFreak
Jul 10, 2004, 04:22 AM
it's not apple's fault - they will most probably require courier delivery, meaning a signature is mandatory. if you like, you can educate the delivery firm by calling apple in a week-or-so telling them that you have not received your order ;)

(apple will contact the delivery firm, the delivery firm says they have delivered it, apple asks for signature, they say they don't have any, they call you, you say you have not received it, they tell apple that they have screwed up, apple sends another computer, charges delivery firm, delivery firm contacts insurance company.)

blue&whiteman
Jul 10, 2004, 04:31 AM
it's not apple's fault - they will most probably require courier delivery, meaning a signature is mandatory. if you like, you can educate the delivery firm by calling apple in a week-or-so telling them that you have not received your order ;)

(apple will contact the delivery firm, the delivery firm says they have delivered it, apple asks for signature, they say they don't have any, they call you, you say you have not received it, they tell apple that they have screwed up, apple sends another computer, charges delivery firm, delivery firm contacts insurance company.)

one of the best ideas I have seen on these forums in a long time :)

iGav
Jul 10, 2004, 04:32 AM
hahahahahahahahaha... I'd do exactly what JFreak said... :eek: :p :p hahahahahahahhaha brilliant! :D

mj_1903
Jul 10, 2004, 05:00 AM
I had an iPod dropped off and left outside my front door (this was when I was living in the US). The driver signed the delivery for me which kind of removes the above suggestion.

AppleMatt
Jul 10, 2004, 08:07 AM
I've had to sign for everything Apple have sent me, even a keyboard.

AppleMatt

edit: I meant "sign" not "sing". Damn English words.

Stelliform
Jul 10, 2004, 08:46 AM
You might check to see if you have a no signature required form filled out with the delivery agency. My friend has one filled out with FedEx, so anything from FedEx gets left on his doorstep, unless he calls them and tells them to wait for his signature.

nef919
Jul 10, 2004, 09:03 AM
While you will likely get another machine, you do realize that you are in fact stealing it, right? That said, I would do it. These courier companies need to get jerked every now and then. Sorta like compensation for all the times they have made you wait for delivery. Or the times they say they attempted delivery and never rang the bell, just left a delivery attempt notice. (Yes I have issues with the ups/fedex's of the world).

musicpyrite
Jul 10, 2004, 09:42 AM
Strange. :confused:

When I got my iMac, I had to sign for it.
When I got my iPod, I didn't have to sign for it.
When I got my Airport Base Station and Airport card, I didn't have to sign for it.

Sabbath
Jul 10, 2004, 10:20 AM
While you will likely get another machine, you do realize that you are in fact stealing it, right? That said, I would do it. These courier companies need to get jerked every now and then. Sorta like compensation for all the times they have made you wait for delivery. Or the times they say they attempted delivery and never rang the bell, just left a delivery attempt notice. (Yes I have issues with the ups/fedex's of the world).

Your so right, we always spend so much time waiting for these people why can't they just give us a proper delivery time. I hate those times you waste all day waiting with the online tracking saying out for delivery and it never turns up. Then you call them and they say they tried to make a delivery or something but blatently never did argghh :mad:

I wouldn't be able to pull off demanding another computer however.

rainman::|:|
Jul 10, 2004, 10:54 AM
i've had fedex just leave packages on my door before, it's quite unnerving. i don't have a signature on file. I'm really pissed at them because they basically forgot to deliver a package to me yesterday. But, their poor service pays off, i do probably $20,000 worth of shipping a year at work, and i put it all through UPS, which is responsible enough to deliver packages on time, to a person and not a doorstep. They're not perfect, but a lot better than fedex or airborne...

paul

ThomasJefferson
Jul 10, 2004, 11:54 AM
My iBook 600 was left at the front door while I was away at work. Now I have expensive items delivered to my work address.

Paul, I think there may be different cultures for delivery. FedEx never leaves the package here in SC, I always have to run down to their warehouse at 7:00pm to pick it up. UPS just dumps it and runs. O well.

wdlove
Jul 10, 2004, 02:23 PM

I know that my honest would not allow me to do something like that. Agree that it would serve them right. Apple needs to be made aware of such an indiscretion. My deliveries from Apple via have always required a signature or no delivery. When I got my G4 they dropped it off at a next door neighbor after a signature. I was kind of upset because of not really trusting the neighbor. It wasn't the fault of Apple. Not sure about the policy of Fed-Ex. Also my neighbor had left the boxes on their porch, watching out for me to return home. So I was sad about their care of my delivery. It all ended well though, got my mac safe and sound.

madoka
Jul 10, 2004, 03:07 PM
I can't believe how many people are advocating STEALING from Apple. This is the company we all love and you guys want to rip them off and feel justified in doing it. So what if the delivery company screwed up. Don't you think the costs of thieves would eventually get passed on to the rest of us.

Why not just go to the local Apple store and shoplift there?

Man if anyone does do this I hope they get caught. Oh, you think they'll just let you walk with a $2000+ item? Not likely. The shipping company will send out investigators to figure out what happened. UPS did that to my friend after a $200 item was stolen.

Blackheart
Jul 10, 2004, 03:10 PM
Yeah; I've joked with my friend about getting him a free G5 but I'd feel really guilty, I'm sure... plus, I've already registered the comp anyway so I'm sure they have that on record.

Should I even bother calling Apple and telling them what happened or do you think it's a mute point?

Blackheart
Jul 10, 2004, 03:13 PM
I can't believe how many people are advocating STEALING from Apple. This is the company we all love and you guys want to rip them off and feel justified in doing it. So what if the delivery company screwed up. Don't you think the costs of thieves would eventually get passed on to the rest of us.

Man if anyone does do this I hope they get caught. Oh, you think they'll just let you walk with a $2000+ item? Not likely. The shipping company will send out investigators to figure out what happened. UPS did that to my friend after a $200 item was stolen.

Not that it would make it right, but I believe it would be the courier's fault because they are the entity who did not fulfill their duties. Thus, the courier would have to pay for the item (or their insurance company, as stated by JFreak).

nyassa3898
Jul 10, 2004, 03:55 PM
fedex has done that to packages so many times, i'd call fedex and see if you get anywhere. This reason is also why i have things shipped to my work address. besides i bet the signed it as met. customer.

FlamDrag
Jul 10, 2004, 04:23 PM
Actually, the delivery guy will show up at your door and ask you about it, ask your neighbors about it and he'll likely remember exactly where he left it. Plus, he may call the police and file a report.

Essentially, you're committing fraud. I'm not exactly sure what sort of fraud, but it's fraud. Insurance maybe? The shipping co's insurance would cover it...probably. Plus, it's across state lines so it's even deeper doo doo if you were to get caught. Considering that it needs to be registered electronically, it's not outside the realm of possibility that you'd get caught.

The shipping co should NOT have done that. However, it happens. Call and complain for sure.

I'm not trying to be high and mighty, or self-righteous. Do what you wish; it's no skin off of my back, and the shipping company would take the loss, not Apple.

Krizoitz
Jul 10, 2004, 05:10 PM
I worked for the Post Office one summer and let me tell you if you left something that required a signature without getting the signature you could get in BIG trouble.

madoka
Jul 10, 2004, 05:34 PM
the shipping company would take the loss, not Apple.

I'm no economist, but it doesn't take a genius to see that these costs don't magically disappear with the insurance company. These costs get passed on to Apple in the form of higher shipping charges which eventually get passed on to us.

munchmime
Jul 10, 2004, 05:42 PM

I work for UPS, and I can assure you that this sort of thing happens all of the time. That is why you are required to declare a value, and insure certain things, and everything that costs over $XXXXXX.XX.

though the company will send the driver to talk to you about getting it. then they will send out the loss prevention guy....
also, you may not want to register the computer "you didn't get" it could perhaps eventually be traced back to you through many many means. I know dell does such things. when they find the computer online they start looking. somepeople even end up getting caught b/c they registered it with their name and home address, and then guess who shows up?

Abstract
Jul 10, 2004, 06:51 PM
But if he didn't register his computer, told Fedex that he didn't get it, and a new one was sent to him, surely the computer that he "didn't get" couldn't be found just by hooking it up to the internet. I really don't know how Fedex or Apple could find out about that.

As a student, I've never had the money to buy a G5 or any other major purchase like that, so I don't know how it feels to have something important like that left on my doorstep without a signature, but if I was mad enough (and depending on my general mood), I would try something like Jfreak suggested. I don't think its illegal since they didn't technically complete the transaction (no sig!), but its definitely immoral.

yosoyjay
Jul 10, 2004, 07:05 PM
I know dell does such things. when they find the computer online they start looking.

How the hell does Dell know if a computer is online? Do they install some sort of spyware on every computer that they sell? If that is the case you could easily install a firewall and block any network communications from any unauthorized programs. I don't see how else they could do this.

Perhaps there is some tricky stuff they could do with a MAC address, but I think they would have to have a router/switch on the same subnet as the computer and have that router/switch looking for that particular MAC address.

I'm terribly interested in this.

Neserk
Jul 10, 2004, 08:12 PM
Don't know if someone already said this or not but I'd call Apple and complain. Someone, somewhere goofed! No harm no foul, this time. But if you or they paid for a signature they should get that service. Not to mention what very easily *could* have happened.

Awimoway
Jul 10, 2004, 08:29 PM
Actually, the delivery guy will show up at your door and ask you about it, ask your neighbors about it and he'll likely remember exactly where he left it. Plus, he may call the police and file a report.

Essentially, you're committing fraud. I'm not exactly sure what sort of fraud, but it's fraud. Insurance maybe? The shipping co's insurance would cover it...probably. Plus, it's across state lines so it's even deeper doo doo if you were to get caught. Considering that it needs to be registered electronically, it's not outside the realm of possibility that you'd get caught.

The shipping co should NOT have done that. However, it happens. Call and complain for sure.

I'm not trying to be high and mighty, or self-righteous. Do what you wish; it's no skin off of my back, and the shipping company would take the loss, not Apple.

Although I am in no way advocating the fraud that was recommended, I think the point is that even if the delivery guy knew he left it on the doorstep, someone could have subsequently stolen it off the doorstep. The whole point of the original post was rage that someone would leave a box in the open, there for the taking, emblazoned with 'G5' on the side for all the world to see and walk up to and then walk off with. Only on the very off chance that a neighbor happened to see the rightful owner open his door and pull the box in would he be in much jeopardy of being caught.

And I would be mad not just because Fedex took a chance on my property being stolen, but also that they just advertised to the whole neighborhood that I have a $2500 computer in my house, inviting thieves. When I sold my Studio Display on eBay, I shipped it in the box of the Cinema Display I had just purchased. But I didn't dare send the box naked, advertising its contents to everyone who saw it. I wrapped it in plain brown paper.

In short, a lot of the blame for this kind of danger lies at Apple's door for using such showy boxes even for shipping. That's kinda stupid. Vain, but stupid. Which sums up Apple quite a bit, actually. :rolleyes:

PlaceofDis
Jul 10, 2004, 08:31 PM
I had an iPod dropped off and left outside my front door (this was when I was living in the US). The driver signed the delivery for me which kind of removes the above suggestion.

all that it would take is a comparison of the two signitures to show that the fedex guy forged someone's signiture - hed be fired for sure

themadchemist
Jul 10, 2004, 08:44 PM
at first I thought you meant...you know, like babies are left at front doors. ;) someone wanted it to find a good home...then I saw the sad face and figured it was bad customer service.

Oh well, maybe somebody will leave a G5 at MY front door. I'd take care of it real well, promise!

Sabbath
Jul 10, 2004, 08:45 PM

I don't think anyone is actually advocating doing it, we just wish these delivery people would do their job properly when they have been entrusted with something very important to us. If it had got stolen the delivery guy would have got a kick up the ass for sure!

I constantly have to call the post office up here and complain about them not delivering stuff and not collecting signatures. I had to follow up an item they hadn't redelivered, they sent a letter saying they had delivered the item but failed to take the signature so as compensation they gave a book of stamps! That really got me pissed off as they hadn't delivered the item they just lost it and were giving a book of stamps in return for this package! Eventually it turned up returned to sender about 4weeks later. :mad:

madoka
Jul 10, 2004, 10:21 PM
I don't think anyone is actually advocating doing it, we just wish these delivery people would do their job properly when they have been entrusted with something very important to us.

Perhaps you should re-read (or perhaps read) replies #2-4 before making this claim.

It's sad to see all these people who purport to love Apple, try to steal from it.

Hemingray
Jul 11, 2004, 12:38 AM
How the hell does Dell know if a computer is online? Do they install some sort of spyware on every computer that they sell? If that is the case you could easily install a firewall and block any network communications from any unauthorized programs. I don't see how else they could do this.

Perhaps there is some tricky stuff they could do with a MAC address, but I think they would have to have a router/switch on the same subnet as the computer and have that router/switch looking for that particular MAC address.

I'm terribly interested in this.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't System Profiler have the info like Sales Order # and Serial # built in? So if indeed you ever hooked up your "lost" Mac and it was flagged in Apple's database as "MIA" so to speak, Apple could quite easily match the computer against their records and take action. Assuming that your computer automatically broadcasts the info once you've gone online for the first time. Who knows. Definitely not worth the risk though! And definitely not worth keeping the computer offline.

virividox
Jul 11, 2004, 12:59 AM
my god thats horrible, lazy courier!!! i know that most of the time if you dont sign for it, they try again then if that fails they make u pick it up at the main office

Blackheart
Jul 11, 2004, 02:10 AM
So much "anti-thievery" talk is floating around and I think there might have been a misinterpretation of my intentions. I wasn't in any way suggesting that I was going to delare a lost package (otherwise commiting fraud), I was just commenting on the integrity of the courier (or Apple for that matter, if it turns out they never required a sig).

Come Monday, I will be making phone calls to both Apple and FedEx with my concern about their respective delivery methods. With a new 23" display on the way, I'd REALLY hate to have that stolen by a passerby. The boxes of the old 23" displays are very big, and albeit very inviting for theives, so I hardly doubt that the new boxes are any less conspicuous.

LimeiBook86
Jul 11, 2004, 03:01 AM
I ordered a Power Mac G3 beige MiniTower on Macofalltrades.com for $399. The FedEx/UPS people (forget which one) just left it in the doorway! But the box was just a big brown box that said "Mac of All Trades.com" on a small label. Plus the box was heavy so stealing it would be pretty hard, also it was inside my screen door.

Then I got my 12" PowerBook from Macofalltrades.com and they did not leave it in the doorway.I had to go to the FedEx place and get it from them. I'm glad that it wasn't left in the doorway since it was a nice black box with Apple logos all over and such.

But I dunno why they left the old G3 in the doorway. Maybe they thought that nobody would want it! :p lol

camobag
Jul 11, 2004, 04:50 AM
I've bought two powerbooks from apple and both times FedEx required a signature. I actually called to see if I could change that, but they wouldn't let me.

chicagotech
Jul 11, 2004, 05:27 AM
I recently purchased a pink engraved ipod mini for my girlfriend and ended up moving the day it finally shipped. Since I had not gotten my new address on my cc account, I couldn't have the shipping changed so i just went by my old place, picked up the package slip and went to the warehouse to pick it up. When I got there, I was informed that Apple had instructed them to not to hand it over, that it could only be delivered by the driver. I called apple to confirm this, complaining that I had to show photo ID at Fedex, and the driver required nothing of the sort, so I ended up spending the next day laying at the doorstep to my old apartment for 5 hours until the fedex guy showed up, I signed for the package, and was then on my merry way, but it made me wonder what would stop anyone who grabbed the missed delivery notice and waited like that for stealing someone elses package, and how on earth is that method more secure???

BornAgainMac
Jul 11, 2004, 10:25 AM

That happened to me when I sent my 30 GB iPod to be repaired. They left it on my doorstep but I really didn't receive it. The iPod box was just picked up by someone walking by and I called Apple to find out when they were going to ship me my iPod. They required a signature and the delivery company had to replace it. Apple sent me a 40 GB iPod included a letter verifying a 1 year warranty from the time I received it. I did feel weird to benefit from someone stealing from me.

My 30 GB iPod was broken for several months and I bought a 10 GB iPod in the meantime. Then I thought since the 30 GB was under warranty, I would try to get it fixed. I kept my 10 GB iPod and sold the new 40 GB iPod on eBay since I only had 6 GB of music anyways.

JFreak
Jul 11, 2004, 10:39 AM
that was exactly my point - the delivery companies tend to think they can do whatever they want as long as they get the package out of their hands. that's why one should - whenever possible, whether moral or not - complain about delivery mistakes.

after all, the package has been delivered to you at the moment you sign that you have agreed that the item has brought to you.

without your signature it is neither you nor apple who loses. it is the delivery company who gets a valuable lesson, and the insurance company who will pay the price. i have a hunch insurance companies charge too much from anybody, so the immorality of the action i suggested at post #2 actually becomes a moral action come to think of it.

you pay for the service you get. if you don't get the service you ordered, you can complain. some complain more aggressively than others, but a complaint is a complaint is a complaint. it doesn't matter who pays for it, because you shouldn't.

madoka
Jul 11, 2004, 11:51 AM
without your signature it is neither you nor apple who loses.
it is the delivery company who gets a valuable lesson, and the insurance company who will pay the price. i have a hunch insurance companies charge too much from anybody, so the immorality of the action i suggested at post #2 actually becomes a moral action come to think of it.

Are you really this warped or are you just joking? How can you seriously believe that LYING and STEALING for your benefit is a moral action?

If the ATM machine fails to give a receipt when you pull out $500, do you go into the bank and tell them you did not receive the $500 as well? Maybe the bank should learn a "valuable lesson" about making sure receipts come out, eh? And the insurance company will pay for it anyways so everyone's happy right?

So in your mind I suppose car insurance fraud is okay since the insurance company charges too much anyways. Nevermind the fact that their in the business of making money and will now charge their customers more to make up for it.

How about walking into the Apple Store and walk off with a 40 gig Ipod while you are at it. I'm sure Apple would be glad you taught them a "valuable lesson" about store security and heck they should thank you for it right?

leftbanke7
Jul 11, 2004, 12:03 PM
I also work for a delivery company (the yellow guys ;) ) but I deal with their planes. However, I can tell you that a lot of it has to do with money. We have independant contractors do the deliveries around here and if for some reason they can not meet the delivery times specified, their company will be fined or not paid for the delivery of the package so the driver will just scan the package as an attempted delivery/not home just to cover their butt and in turn their companies. I'm not trying to say that this is right, but for as little money as the parent company is paying out to the ICs to do their work (they do the same thing to their Aircraft crew contractors), you have to bend the rules a bit just to survive because they will replace you on the drop of a hat. As for FedEx and UPS, there is no excuse. They are well paid and given great benefits to perform their jobs and at times they just don't do it. I bought an item on eBay to give as a present and it never arrived via UPS. 2 weeks after X-mas (and 3 weeks after it was supposed to be there), my brother found the box in a pile of dirt in our carport. They had just delivered it there leaving no delivery notification.

zsmooth
Jul 11, 2004, 12:40 PM
As a student, I've never had the money to buy a G5 or any other major purchase like that, so I don't know how it feels to have something important like that left on my doorstep without a signature, but if I was mad enough (and depending on my general mood), I would try something like Jfreak suggested. I don't think its illegal since they didn't technically complete the transaction (no sig!), but its definitely immoral.

No, it's definitely illegal as well. Lying to FedEx and Apple about whether or not you received the shipment (and if you brought it in your front door - you DID, whether or not you signed for it.) You'll probably also have to lie to the cops when the shipping company fills out a police report for the "stolen" computer. Then you'll be taking a second machine which you did not pay for. It's fraud, and fraud is illegal and can land you in jail.

applekid
Jul 11, 2004, 12:45 PM
Hey, at least they didn't drop your G5 on the ground. Our school bought a Powermac G5 and when the delivery guy was bringing it, he dropped it and the box was crushed. We attempted to try to turn it on, but it wouldn't at all. So, we got it replaced. I hope Apple didn't have to pay for it.

Rod Rod
Jul 13, 2004, 05:58 AM
I've had a few expensive items left on my doorstep too, including a PowerBook and a 21" monitor (separate instances). Where I live, UPS is way more likely to just leave stuff than FedEx. A couple of times I'd check the front door, as I sometimes do when I'm really anticipating something, and I'd find the box just sitting there on the doorstep -- the UPS guy didn't bother to even ring my doorbell.