Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rebel touch or Candy shell?

• Rebel touch

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • Candy shell

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters

intensee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
so I just purchased an ipod touch and I'm looking for a case. I'm trying to decide on the rebel touch or the speck candyshell.
Both look really nice and both of the cases has its cons. I could get the candyshell from amazon for around 22 bucks whereas I have to pay around 26 bucks for the rebel touch.
The rebel touch, however, has all these goodies along with it. (the dock, which I don't really need, the stand, which is nice to have, and the stereo extender thing, which I don't really need. Both cases come with screen protectors.

So I'm pretty much indecisive right now lol.

Any advice?
also are the screen protectors for both of the cases kind of anti glare (doesn't have a smooth feeling to it)?

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
The rebel touch was a great case; saved me three or four times from drops my iPod may not have endured otherwise. Not to mention it just looks cool, an comes with a plastic piece to protect the dock. The case is just generally well thought out.

MegaDell

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2009
I'm getting a Candy Shell. I don't like those little grips all on the sides of the rebel.

elpmas

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2009
Where the fresh snow don't go.
Lol. Ironically enough, I was debating the same thing today when I bought my Ipod Touch today lol. I ended up settling with the Switcheasy Rebel. I wanted the Rebelserpent...but it was only for the Iphone :(

Personally, the Rebel looks pretty sick...whilst the Speck one looks conservative.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
i think it depends on which subject
protection: tie, if not the candyshell
looks: personally rebel touch, the candyshells kinda boring
accesories: candyshell=destroyed, switcheasy outdid themselves on that subject:cool:

Leland3Delko

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2010
california
Don't get the candyshell

Don't get the Candyshell I got it and thought it was really cool but then after a couple of trips in and out of my pocket the little piece at the bottom broke and then when I dropped it the whole left side of the hard plastic shattered I then bought the rebel and it was amazing I dropped it from 4 feet five times and my ipod Touch was fine and if the hard plastic breaks you can buy a replacement from switcheasy.com for only 5.99 without replacing the whole case:)check youtube for great reviews.:)

aalu91

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2010
Don't get the Candyshell I got it and thought it was really cool but then after a couple of trips in and out of my pocket the little piece at the bottom broke and then when I dropped it the whole left side of the hard plastic shattered I then bought the rebel and it was amazing I dropped it from 4 feet five times and my ipod Touch was fine and if the hard plastic breaks you can buy a replacement from switcheasy.com for only 5.99 without replacing the whole case:)check youtube for great reviews.:)

Get the NEOTOUCH. It is the best. I had the candyshell too and the bottom part is flimsy and will break. NEO all the way

Pukey

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2008
Gekkostate
I have the Speck Candy Shell. It is nice, but slippery. Something with more grip would probably be better. Also I'm noticing the flimsiness of the bottom part where the headphone connection is. Mine hasn't broke all the way through yet, but I think it's on it's way. The one thing I will say for Speck's Candy Shell is that the screen cover is the best I've ever seen. I've been trying out (and returning) screen shields ever since I got my iPod last September and none of them has been as clear as the Speck. basically it looks like there is nothing on top of the screen. Other covers seem to have a matte surface or tone the light down or change it in some way. I've seen some covers that make it look like there is a grit or some kind of matte texture or something to the effect that the screen sparkles kind of like those pseudo vampires in that one series...
When my Candy Shell breaks (or maybe before then) I think I might get the Rebel Touch. It looks very nice. I just hope the screen cover is as non-intrusive as Speck's.

GoJonny78

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2009
I have both!

Okay interesting enough, these are the only two cases I have. They are both excelent cases that you would be happy with either one. When I first got my iPod touch I wanted to see which case would be the best and I went with the rebel because of great looks and excellent protection. The add one were nice but you only really use the screen protector which is very good and I still have it on now since 8 months ago. I was first very happy with the rebel but then it was just extremely hard to take off of the touch without mushing the rebel's silicone plastic black stuff. I didn't take out the touch for about 6 months because it was just so hard to take it out without messing up the case. I finally realized that you can take off the rebel by just pulling the whole thing off instead of the spine first. Finally after 6 months of having the red and black rebel case I just got bored of the color and that it was difficult to take off the case. Then I bought the speck candyshell off of eBay for like $10.50 on an auction. When I got it I really liked it but after about a month of taking it out of my pocket the little thing on the bottom broke just like that one guy already said. But I still like them both. Guess what one I am typing this with right now. The speck canyshell. I have an outdated cranberry one that is rare. All in all after this long reply I like them both and I feel that I can throw my iPod almost anywhere with the rebel but the candyshell is still is easy to get off a lot easier but still is protective. If I could redo it, I wouldn't change a thing. I would still get the rebel over the candyshell for looks and protection (plus 2 screen protectors instead of 1 on the speck) and once the rebel gets beaten up and you get tired of it you might want to get the speck. Or if you find a good deal on both then you could get them both and just switch them out. Hope I helped a lot! You can send me a private message if you need any more questions. I have the red and black rebel touch btw.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
When I got it I really liked it but after about a month of taking it out of my pocket the little thing on the bottom broke just like that one guy already said.
This is why i prefer the rebeltouch. This would bug me to no end.

EllieV

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
I would just not get a case and sell the iPod for the next gen one. Why did some of you guys buy your iPod touch so recently? Atleast look on the buyers guide.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
I would just not get a case and sell the iPod for the next gen one. Why did some of you guys buy your iPod touch so recently? Atleast look on the buyers guide.
Oh. That too. I didnt realize he had just bought one.

Crigger540

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
The Old Dominion
Have both:
Candyshell is a scratch magnet, rubber corners tear easily.
Rebel Touch is a great case if you leave it on, taking it on and off
stretches the soft plastic. Have you considered the Torrent? It is also
by Switcheasy and has all the good points of the Rebel without the drawbacks.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
Have both:
Candyshell is a scratch magnet, rubber corners tear easily.
Rebel Touch is a great case if you leave it on, taking it on and off
stretches the soft plastic. Have you considered the Torrent? It is also
by Switcheasy and has all the good points of the Rebel without the drawbacks.
I dont know about you but i prefer the looks of the Rebel.

EllieV

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
OR....... Just don't buy a case, sell it, and get a tricked out 4th gen...

happle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
dont get the candyshell. iv had two and there nice cases but the bottom piece is way to flimsy and always breaks down there.

also the speck doesnt cover the seems around the screen which i like my case to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.