PDA

View Full Version : 2 iPods, 1 mac HOW?

millar876
Jul 10, 2004, 09:22 AM
i've got a 3G 30 Gig iPod and i sync it quite hapily with my powerbook g4. my wife has a 1G 5Gig iPod that she syncs quite hapily with her iBook, however thats where the problems start. She got the iBook 4 Uni and has since graduated and no longer wants to keep it (silly girl). Anyway she wants to keep her iPod and update the songs, but i bont know if you can or how to sync 2 ipods with difrent content (i.e i want to sync all songs and playlists onto my pod and my wife only wants to sync some onto her pod as the 23GB of songs in my librery wont all fit on hers. If anyone can help please do?

Mr Poop E Pantz
Jul 10, 2004, 10:29 AM
You could create a seperate user account for her and only put the songs she wants into that iTunes. If you store the songs in the shared user folder and turn of the feature in iTunes that copies the songs into the music folder you won't need to have multiple copies of the songs to share between users. End result is two user accounts with sererate iTunes libraries but one common music storage folder.

seamuskrat
Jul 10, 2004, 10:30 AM
If you each have separate user accounts, it will work fine.

You can use one of the thirdparty utilities to easily sync and share libraries between the two usewrs. Or you can make your own joint music folder and direct iTunes to it.

If you share the same account, I am not sure how to do this, I have a mini and 15 gig and after hours on the phone with Apple, the best they could offer was user accounts.

i've got a 3G 30 Gig iPod and i sync it quite hapily with my powerbook g4. my wife has a 1G 5Gig iPod that she syncs quite hapily with her iBook, however thats where the problems start. She got the iBook 4 Uni and has since graduated and no longer wants to keep it (silly girl). Anyway she wants to keep her iPod and update the songs, but i bont know if you can or how to sync 2 ipods with difrent content (i.e i want to sync all songs and playlists onto my pod and my wife only wants to sync some onto her pod as the 23GB of songs in my librery wont all fit on hers. If anyone can help please do?