PDA

View Full Version : G5 Won't turn on for more then 5 seconds.

FREETV
Sep 22, 2009, 01:13 AM
I don't remeber how it started exactly, but one day I was working on my G5 and out of nowhere it turned off. I pressed the power button and the light came on, then went off. Since then it hasn't worked. Every once in awhile I'll try to turn it on and some times it works, but it won't stay on for more then 30min. tops. Also if I hold the power button long enough my G5 emits a loud tone sound, then turns on. It usually varies how long it stays on after that. What is wrong with my computer?

mrsir2009
Sep 22, 2009, 01:21 AM
Hmmm, could be a major heating issue...

Take it into the apple store and get them to check it out.

Good luck!

Techhie
Sep 22, 2009, 01:25 AM
I don't remeber how it started exactly, but one day I was working on my G5 and out of nowhere it turned off. I pressed the power button and the light came on, then went off. Since then it hasn't worked. Every once in awhile I'll try to turn it on and some times it works, but it won't stay on for more then 30min. tops. Also if I hold the power button long enough my G5 emits a loud tone sound, then turns on. It usually varies how long it stays on after that. What is wrong with my computer?

Could be a number of things. The tone suggests it is a RAM issue, but it could also be heating problem where debris is clogging a fan. I would take it in to Apple, and have them run a full checkup on it.

qblake
Nov 14, 2009, 08:28 AM
i had the same problem, i unplugged all the cables, opened it up and the proc burnt my hand. I let it sit open for about a 30 minutes, plugged it back in and it worked fine.

negatv1
Nov 14, 2009, 09:19 AM
Power supply is likely toast- The G5's had some issues with capacitors in the power supplies failing which lead to problems just like you're having.

A new power supply can be had for $100-150, and is a relatively easy fix.

quagmire
Nov 14, 2009, 09:24 AM
Power supply is likely toast- The G5's had some issues with capacitors in the power supplies failing which lead to problems just like you're having.

A new power supply can be had for $100-150, and is a relatively easy fix.

Yep, my parents old iMac G5 had the exact thing happen. The computer would randomly turn off. Took it in, and it was the PSU.