Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tabbrowse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
Our app, Tab Browse, was approved few days ago. Finally you can enjoy desktop class tab based browsing on iPhone and iPod Touch. You can download the app here. The features of the app is also listed here. Some features are - one touch switching of tabs, one touch to open link in new tab, see the information about the link, know the number of times you have visited the link, auto fill [even in OS 2.0], almost full screen, reading view for touch free reading. If you are interested in receiving a promo code to try the app, you can email us at tabbrowse.support@gmail.com. We have only a few promo codes left.

If you have already downloaded the app, we are looking for feedback. What are your gripes about it and what you would like to see in the future version? Constructive comments and criticism welcome!

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
I would love to test it out for you but like alot of people i think i will wait for reviews before i pay 4.99 for an app whose performance i cannot assess without buying first.

Sorry. Good luck. Looks nice.

tabbrowse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
Would you be interested if you receive a promo code

I would love to test it out for you but like alot of people i think i will wait for reviews before i pay 4.99 for an app whose performance i cannot assess without buying first.

Sorry. Good luck. Looks nice.

If you would be interested in receiving a promo code, please email us and we would be glad to send you over one. As mentioned before we have limited promo codes left to share.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
I am going to play devils advocate here. What makes your app better then the built in Safari app? Which also has the ability to do tabbed browsing.

ss957916

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
I'd be very concerned about the speed of the browser - I've got used to my faster 3GS.

Don't like the idea of typing a URL or text for a Google search. It'd get really annoying having to type "http://www." everytime one doesn't want to Google search. I like putting "BBC" and having Safari fill in the rest.

I think these are all quite vital aspects to consider forfeiting purely to have tabs on the same screen.

tabbrowse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
Some features

I am going to play devils advocate here. What makes your app better then the built in Safari app? Which also has the ability to do tabbed browsing.

Here are some features that you might like -

1) Almost full screen
2) Quick way to switch the tab. It is one touch. In safari you need 2 touches.
3) Touch the Cmd Button and touch the link to open in new tab. It takes more time to open in a new tab in safari
4) Ctrl button provides you with a menu of options. You can Open link in new tab from here, or get info about the link, email link, etc.
5) Autofill for those who do not want to upgrade to 3.0
6) Reading view... touch free reading view which locks the orientation, ignores all touches on the screen, prevents screen lock and automatically scrolls the page every 'x' seconds. These things are configurable. Ideal for reading while on commute or during bed time
7) Open previously closed tabs.
8) One touch bookmark and easily edit the bookmark

You can find more details in the link provided above. Please note that the link is still being updated.

tabbrowse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
I'd be very concerned about the speed of the browser - I've got used to my faster 3GS.

Don't like the idea of typing a URL or text for a Google search. It'd get really annoying having to type "http://www." everytime one doesn't want to Google search. I like putting "BBC" and having Safari fill in the rest.

I think these are all quite vital aspects to consider forfeiting purely to have tabs on the same screen.

The speed should ideally be the same as Safari since they both use the same underlying webkit.

You can enter bbc and then touch the ".com" button to quickly enter it as bbc.com. I agree that we should be doing a better job of identifying the search v/s URL and that is something we are working on. Thank you for your input.

james4513

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2008
Very Nice

I just downloaded and started using. I'll review in more detail in a day or so after I really use the app. First reaction: very nice.

The app is fast - about the same as safari. Much better laid out - like a regular browser. Tab browsing is intuitive and works great. Full-page viewing is great. You need to know to click the link in the top left corner or the glasses icon. Easy after one use.

More later including anything that I don't like.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
So........

Apple approves this app which basically duplicates the functionality of Safari.

And they reject Google Voice.

I'm not knocking the developer here, and I will be trying this app out as soon as I get a chance.

..... Some real morons working @ Apple's app store rejection desk. :rolleyes:

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
So........

I'm not knocking the developer here, and I will be trying this app out as soon as I get a chance.

Google Voice is 100% political and strategic and 0% legitimate rejection. Has nothing to do with app store rejection desk.

qpid360

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Pasadena, CA
If you would be interested in receiving a promo code, please email us and we would be glad to send you over one. As mentioned before we have limited promo codes left to share.

If you have anymore promo codes, I'd definitely love to test the app and would provide feedback on both the App Store and on this forum. I've been itching to try a non-Safari browser.

tabbrowse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
Thank you for the feedback

Looks interesting. But I hope you use some of the money you make from this app to hire a graphic designer to redo most of your icons and GUI elements. They just look amateurish to me. Hope that wasn't too harsh.

Thank you for the feedback. We are definitely working on this. Our first priority was to get it as functional as possible and get it approved from App Store! The next update should get in more of UI fixes.

xsecretfiles

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2008
So........

So basically you've been living under a rock for the past year?
there are tons of web browsers with tiny different functions than Safari's

As for this one....I'll be waiting for a price drop

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
This is based on WebKit I presume, and thus is safari speed. There is another app on Cydia that is NOT based on WebKit, and is supposed to be better. I'll compare tabs on here with that when I get the chance

photobiker

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2006
What an ugly little duckling!

Not sure if they have tabs as in real tabs. Sure they support tab based browsing, not sure if you could switch tabs in a single touch.

Some apps support switching to the next tab or previous tab in a single touch, and most support a much larger number of tabs. The model you chose doesn't scale very well beyond 3 tabs while other apps can support 12 or more.

Also I concur with other readers that the UI is embarrassingly amateurish. In fact, it might be the ugliest app I have ever seen. Sorry but it's true... :eek:

Judging by the screen snapshots you have published on iTunes (especially #3, #4 and #5), I wonder how Apple let your app into the store. It goes so much against the iPhone UI Guidelines that allowing in too many apps of that level would in the long term undermine the quality of the platform. Unfortunately you will be the first one to suffer from a premature release of your product as the overall ratings of your app, which I expect to be dismal for this first version, will be very difficult to correct in the future. :(

tabbrowse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
Some apps support switching to the next tab or previous tab in a single touch, and most support a much larger number of tabs. The model you chose doesn't scale very well beyond 3 tabs while other apps can support 12 or more.

Also I concur with other readers that the UI is embarrassingly amateurish. In fact, it might be the ugliest app I have ever seen. Sorry but it's true... :eek:

Judging by the screen snapshots you have published on iTunes (especially #3, #4 and #5), I wonder how Apple let your app into the store. It goes so much against the iPhone UI Guidelines that allowing in too many apps of that level would in the long term undermine the quality of the platform. Unfortunately you will be the first one to suffer from a premature release of your product as the overall ratings of your app, which I expect to be dismal for this first version, will be very difficult to correct in the future. :(

Thank you for your feedback. We would incorporate your feedback for future releases. We went by the principle that Google Chrome did not have the best looks of the browser, but was good enough for many.

Please note that there is no limitation on the number of tabs you can open. Even though only 3 tabs are visible, you can swipe your fingers on the tab to scroll and switch to other tabs. Is it possible to switch from 1st tab to 3rd tab or 4th tab or the nth tab with a single touch in other browsers?

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
This is based on WebKit I presume, and thus is safari speed. There is another app on Cydia that is NOT based on WebKit, and is supposed to be better. I'll compare tabs on here with that when I get the chance

What is the Cydia app called?

tabbrowse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
App store browsers

I think all browsers in app store must use webkit only.

Pika

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2008
Japan
I don't like the UI on this one...

Sorry, it makes me feel like i'm using Internet Explorer.

My [app]isaveweb[/app] app does't have tabs yet but it saves unlimited numbers of web pages into your device without affecting the memory by having multiple web pages open at the same time.

sam3020

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2007
looking at the screenshot of this on itunes i cannot say that i have seen a poorer looking app. None of the graphics on this app seem to match up at all. You could probably make this app really good but it does look really cheap. And you say about having to click twice in safari to get to a new tab. What is wrong with that? we can also see the page that we have been on aswell in safari whereas with you you can just see the tabs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.