Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

U2Rules!

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Minnesota
I'm a laptop newbie and also a Mac newbie. Is it okay to leave your powerbook plugged in all the time or does this wreck your battery? I've already charged it up and ran it all the way down to claibrate it, but now am wondering about the best way to use this wonderful machine.

12in PB
80 GB HD at 5400rpm
256 ram with 512mb from Crucial soon to be added

lazymuoio

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2004
New York
SOme people calibrate there batteries by chargin them al they way up then running them dead and recharging them this increases battery life id do that once but other wise its ok to leave it plugged in all the time, my PC laptop, which sucks, still functions when unplugged and i leave it plugged in all the time, except for 1 or 2 hours a week.

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
I leave my PowerBook plugged in all the time. I do, however, run the battery down once a week. I've heard this is good, but then again, there are so many conflicting myths regarding batteries. My reasoning is that it's cheap insurance, just in case.

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
Yeah. It is fine to leave it plugged in all the time. The problem is leaving it unplugges for too long. I left mine unplugged for a few months one time and now I get about 20 minutes of battery life.

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
FelixDerKater said:
Yeah. It is fine to leave it plugged in all the time. The problem is leaving it unplugges for too long. I left mine unplugged for a few months one time and now I get about 20 minutes of battery life.

im thinking you need to buy a new battery.. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.