PDA

View Full Version : New PowerMac w/ Gefore6800 has both DVI and ADC connectors?

JamSoft
Jul 10, 2004, 02:37 PM
I recently ordered the new 2.5Ghz G5 from apple with the NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL graphics card and I'm a little confused about what display types are supported. I already own an apple 17inch flatpanel display and I was wondering if it will work with my new G5?

If you go to Graphics page about the new PowerMacs on Apple's website they say that the Geforce 6800 has two DVI ports, which means that my display wouldn't work without an adapter, but right below that it says this:

Dual-display Support
The Power Mac G5 comes with a DVI port for the new Apple display line as well as support for both extended desktop and video mirroring modes and an Apple Display Connector (ADC) port to connect a previous generation Apple display.

so that's why I'm confused. They claim that the new G5's HAS BOTH DVI and ADC display connection ports, but yet the Geforce 6800 only comes with 2 DVI ports?

check it out for yourself:
http://www.apple.com/powermac/graphics.html
It's in one of the columns on the right side of the page.

So which is it? If the Geforce 6800 prevents me from connecting my old display, and apple claims that the new G5's come with a connector port for my older display then what should I do? I think that if my older display doesn't work then they should send me the $99 adaptor cable for FREE.

anyone have any thoughts or know something about this?

Thanks,
Nate

letterbox
Jul 10, 2004, 06:51 PM
The 6800 has Dual Dual DVI ports, no ADC. The PowerMac as it comes, standard, with the 5200, 9600, 9800 does have DVI and ADC.

Sun Baked
Jul 10, 2004, 07:20 PM
So which is it? If the Geforce 6800 prevents me from connecting my old display, and apple claims that the new G5's come with a connector port for my older display then what should I do? I think that if my older display doesn't work then they should send me the $99 adaptor cable for FREE.http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6694&stc=1

You special order a card with TWO DVI ports to replace the standard DVI/ADC card, and then get mad because the new card doesn't have an ADC port. :rolleyes:

JamSoft
Jul 10, 2004, 10:55 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6694&stc=1

You special order a card with TWO DVI ports to replace the standard DVI/ADC card, and then get mad because the new card doesn't have an ADC port. :rolleyes:

I'm not mad at all, maybe a little frustrated that's all. I've work very hard for all of the money I'm spending on my system. When you spend so much it's nice to understand everything. Normally when a company claims something that needs further explanation they give it a footnote, and I didn't see one. So I thought it would be worth posting my question on this mac community to see what insight others had. It's worth 2min. of my time to post a question when there's a chance I might not have to spend an extra hundred dollars of my money. You don't have to bust my balls and roll your eyes at me. This is why I never post my questions because people always feel the need to flame.

letterbox thank you for answering my question. simple and to the point.

Thanks,
Nate

Sun Baked
Jul 10, 2004, 11:26 PM
Normally when a company claims something that needs further explanation they give it a footnote, and I didn't see one.Actually they don't have to give a footnote, because the actual tech specs of the PowerMac G5s (http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html) DO NOT mention the NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL -- so any of those cards mentioned do fully support ADC.
That is if you really want to play the lawyer who really does deserve a http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6341 for trying to get something free when YOU changed the specs of the machine and had the ADC port removed.

Heck the card isn't even listed in the BTO options on the PowerMac Specs page.

Neither is all the pre-loaded software Apple is offering, so if Apple met your demands, they would not be able to put any pre-loaded software on them -- because that stuff isn't footnoted as a possible software configuration.

BrianKonarsMac
Jul 10, 2004, 11:43 PM
the Power Mac G5 MOTHERBOARD has an ADC connection. I believe the 6800 actually uses this (it is a specially engineered Mac card, thats why buying a PC card and simply flashing the rom does not equal the Mac 6800 Ultra DDL, their is no PC equivalent other than Quadro's) ADC connector to draw power, someone else would know better.

The 6800 however uses two individual Dual Link DVI connections, so it does not have a physical ADC port to directly connect two. You will need to purchase the ADC to DVI connector with power brick (~$100) to supply power to the monitor and the USB hub. If you purchased a new monitor (the aluminum design) the adapter to ADC is closer to ~$20 because the power brick is included with the monitor.

GeForce 6800 = NO ADC CONNECTION.
G5 Motherboard = ADC CONNECTION.

FuzzyBallz
Jul 11, 2004, 03:38 AM
The GF6800's connectors can easily be figured out by looking at the monitor options during system configuration at Apple. For 20" and 23" Cinemas, ADC/DVI connectors are added. 30" Cinemas don't because they use standard DVI connection. Select 30" Cinema for both monitor slots, see no ADC/DVI connector, light bulb turns on in your head, GF6800 has dual DVI connectors. Problem solved.

BrianKonarsMac
Jul 11, 2004, 03:54 AM
Everyone grab a torch let's run him out of town! :p

Chaszmyr
Jul 11, 2004, 04:03 AM
It stays on the store page "the 6800 with dual DVI ports" or something like that... I think that rpetty much implies that it doesnt also have an ADC port

Jo-Kun
Jul 11, 2004, 07:23 AM
you have ADC on the monitor, the card has 2XDualDVI connection... when using your old monitor: DVI->ADC adaptor is needed, when getting one of the AL monitors: Plug and Play

you just ordered the graphics card needed for the 30"... no other monitor requires it... this is the only DualDVI (confusing term because it's only one plug) monitor... the rest use normal DVI... so it sounds like you did some overkill if you'll not about to order one of those one day... ;-)

Sun Baked
Jul 11, 2004, 09:56 AM
Everyone grab a torch let's run him out of town! :pI was a little harsh on the Beaver last night because he knows the card has two DVI ports, and is looking for a reason to have Apple pay for the DVI-to-ADC convertor that he'll need for his ADC monitor.

And it's worse since this isn't the first time he's failed to read the specs, but come here thinking Apple owed him money. :rolleyes: I want (1) for apple admit to the HD's true size/capacity and (2) to apologize/refund me partially for falsely advertising their product.

-Nate

weezer160
Jul 11, 2004, 10:49 AM
is ADC now considered just a hickup in apple technology - we had it, then now it's starting to be phased out. :rolleyes:

G5orbust
Jul 12, 2004, 01:01 AM
is ADC now considered just a hickup in apple technology - we had it, then now it's starting to be phased out. :rolleyes:

Damn. And just when I thought it was safe to keep my 17 inch Studio display...

vga4life
Jul 12, 2004, 08:58 AM
Let's hope so. ADC was an awful, awful idea. Fortunately, Apple has seen the light: the best way to get people to buy Apple monitors is to make monitors people want to buy, rather than trying to lock them in with proprietary connectors!

Ditching ADC over the long term also means down the road there should be less delay in getting the latest video cards once there's no need for custom boards with ADC circuitry. You can bet that when Apple comes out with a PCI-Extreme based G5, ADC won't even be an option.

Good riddance, ADC. I always thought it was a step backwards.

-vga4life