Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

old apple guy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
I have tried zapping the pram, nvram, unable to boot from a disk, tried safe mode, tried verbose, did the single user /sbin/fsck -fy several times and it came back with everything appears OK. Tried the hardware test & no trouble found, did the short & long test.
The MacBook is a college kid (friend of my youngest) that dropped it off last night and I am stumped. I thought it was surely the HD but all the test say it is fine. I cannot get it to boot from a disk either. Any clues.

flir67

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2005
I have tried zapping the pram, nvram, unable to boot from a disk, tried safe mode, tried verbose, did the single user /sbin/fsck -fy several times and it came back with everything appears OK. Tried the hardware test & no trouble found, did the short & long test.
The MacBook is a college kid (friend of my youngest) that dropped it off last night and I am stumped. I thought it was surely the HD but all the test say it is fine. I cannot get it to boot from a disk either. Any clues.

have u tried to take the battery out and see if it boots off the power cord. could be a battery dead. can u take the hd out to see if it boots on another macbook if you have one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.