PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth Mouse Comparison

micvog
Jul 10, 2004, 06:51 PM
I searched the Forums and didn't find anything directly on point, so here it goes...

Does anyone have experience with Bluetooth mice beyond the Apple Wireless Mouse? I got an Apple Wireless Mouse last week and have been somewhat disappointed in its smoothness / responsiveness / precision compared to my wired Microsoft Intellimouse. The best way I can describe it is that it is like using one of those old roller-ball mice.

I was just curious whether anyone tried other Bluetooth mice and whether they were an improvement from the Apple offering.

Thanks.

Scottyk9
Jul 10, 2004, 07:24 PM
I recently switched to Mac (15" PB), and I have a Bluetooth MS mouse at work, and a USB logitech mouse at home.

There is a relatively long lag when the mouse has not been moved in a while, which I am not too suprised with. But I have also noted a lack in precision and responsiveness - it takes that little bit more concentration and effort to get the pointer where you want.

I had thought that this may be do to the fact that there is no official Mac drivers for this mouse - it is interesting that you notice the same imprecision in wired vs. wireless mice.

(...and yes, I am using the latest bluetooth drivers, although I have no idea if this makes any difference for a MS mouse)

abhishekit
Jul 10, 2004, 08:21 PM
I have a Belkin BT mouse, and I am really happy with its performance.

cheers

homerjward
Jul 10, 2004, 08:29 PM
i've never used a bt mouse, but my experience has been wireless mice arent as good as wired ones. maybe it's just wireless usb mice, but mine was really slow even at the highest speed setting and not very accurate. i got a kensington pocketmouse le and it's awesome! my old one was a targus wireless, but cheap (10-15 dollars) which may explain its crappiness. ive thought about getting a bt mouse but dont have bt on my computer

Jo-Kun
Jul 11, 2004, 07:30 AM
I have the MS BT mouse... and it's out of use... it's too slow... really... I plugged in my 4y old logitech optical mouse... that works fast and easy...

PlaceofDis
Jul 11, 2004, 09:47 AM
just out of curiostiy, have you gone to system preferences > keyboard and moust > mouse tab > and then try adjusting the tracking speed ect?

RubberChicken
Jul 11, 2004, 09:47 AM
I was just curious whether anyone tried other Bluetooth mice and whether they were an improvement from the Apple offering.

I have the MS Bluetooth Mouse, but have only Apple's wired mouse for comparison. I only use the Bluetooth mouse at home on my Powerbook, while the wired mouse is used for intensive design work on 23" (eh, eh, eh). I think my home usage pattern is more forgiving of the MS BTs downsides. The MS mouse is a good shape and the extra buttons and scroll wheel are very handy for surfing and Exposť. However, the lack of native drivers limits configuration, it's a bit heavy, and the movement is not as smooth as the wired version. I'm not too concerned with the slowness to wake up or the slightly lower accuracy, as freedom from wires more than makes up for it. Still on the same set of batteries for a couple of months so far. The main reason I did not buy the Apple BT mouse was IT"S SINGLE MINDED SINGLE BUTTON, I'm over it. I had read bad reports about the Logitech BT, which at the time was the only other alternative. Although Apple's lozenge design is elegant and suitable for lefties/righties it is far from ergonomic (much like the afore mentioned old cinema screen - has Apple even bothered to look at a basic ergonomics handbook?)

OldManJimbo
Jul 11, 2004, 11:42 AM
I just love my little RadTech BT500 mouse - it turns itself off after about three minutes of non-use so the battery lasts a good long time and all it takes it a little "rattle" between my fingers to wake it up.