PDA

View Full Version : How much memory do I need?

Cam59
Jul 10, 2004, 10:46 PM
Hi! I just bought my 12'' PB with 256MN a week ago and wanted to put more memory in it. The only problem is that i don't know how much I need. I use iTunes, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, GarageBand, Safari, and iChat. The PowerBook is already pretty quick and apps don't take too long to open but I would like to make it really quick. What should I do and where should I buy it? Thanks.

colinp
Jul 10, 2004, 11:00 PM
I also have a 12", and tend to use it with more memory intensive apps like Photoshop and iMovie. I've got 768MB or RAM, and while it still takes a few seconds to get Photoshop open, I still find it to be sufficient. RAM prices are DIRT CHEAP right now (I bought from Crucial- they provide excellent price/service/quality), but prices also increase really fast from 512 MB to 768 to 1 GIG sticks of ram... As such, 512 can be bought for a bit over $100, which ain't bad at all.

If you have money to spend and really want to fly you can increase higher than 768, but I think you'd be happy with that amount.

Finiksa
Jul 10, 2004, 11:03 PM
Hi! I just bought my 12'' PB with 256MN a week ago and wanted to put more memory in it. The only problem is that i don't know how much I need.

You could probably make do with 512MB in total for what you're using, but to future proof your system you might want to go with 768MB total.

I'd recommend buying from Crucial (http://www.crucial.com) their RAM is reasonably priced and very good quality.

Duff-Man
Jul 10, 2004, 11:22 PM
Duff-Man says....for the small diff in price, I would say go for the extra 512 (for 768 total) - you'll appreciate it later, especially with Garageband....oh yeah!

zakee00
Jul 11, 2004, 12:25 AM
Duff-Man says....for the small diff in price, I would say go for the extra 512 (for 768 total) - you'll appreciate it later, especially with Garageband....oh yeah!
haha nice duffman, simpsons rock :D i think im going to upgrade from 512mb to 768mb, it's worth it. i would like 2 gb, but im not rich :D

JFreak
Jul 11, 2004, 02:55 AM
if you need to ask, 512MB will be just right for you. and with the app list you mentioned, you would be just fine with the 256MB you already have. you will however currently be facing constant swap file activity and upgrading to 512MB would eliminate most of that, thus giving you a nice performance boost.

without any more memory-intensive apps any more than 512MB would be overkill for you, no matter the mantra: "you will never have too much memory". after 512MB, your money will be better spent somewhere else.

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 11, 2004, 07:02 AM
Do I Need More Memory (http://www.hillmanminx.net/dinmm/) is a great little program that lets you know how much memory you need by looking at how you use your computer.

Found out about this program after I bought my memory upgrade. It did confirm that I did right getting a 1gb module for my PB 12" rev. B. Got a great price from OWC, the good source for memory for Mac.