PDA

View Full Version : Starbucks Apps Flow into App Store

geekmommy4
Sep 23, 2009, 09:43 AM
The Wall Street Journal reported on two new Starbucks apps. The first one is called myStarbucks (http://linktoapp.com/myStarbucks)that helps you find stores and provides menu information and lets you "design" a drink. They are testing another one in the Seattle area that lets you use your iPhone as your Starbucks card. It's called Starbucks Card Mobile (http://linktoapp.com/Starbucks+Card+Mobile). No ordering functionality mentioned.

Edit: I just tried this out and it's actually kind of fun to browse their coffees and drink options. I always feel so rushed when I'm in their store.

Here's the link to the article (http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2009/09/23/starbucks-unveils-its-first-iphone-apps/).

From the MyStarbucks iTunes description:

Finally, the official iPhone application from Starbucks! Want to find a store that’s open, with a drive through? Now you can do that and more with myStarbucks. Explore our whole bean coffees, find nutrition information, and build your own perfect drinks. Want to share? You can send your drink to friends by email, SMS, or directly to their iPhone or iPod® touch.

FEATURES
• Store Locator: Display the closest stores, directions, store hours and amenities—find stores with a drive through, oven warmed food, and more!
• Drink Builder: Create and share your perfect Starbucks® beverages
• Food Menu: Browse the menu and see detailed nutritional info and ingredients
• Coffee Menu: Explore every Starbucks® whole bean coffee
• myStarbucks: Save all of your favorites for quick recall and sharing

And this is just version 1.0 – we will be adding new and exciting features in future releases. Want to join the conversation? Go to www.mystarbucksidea.com to contribute your opinion on what Starbucks should do next.

Would you like to keep track of your Starbucks Card balance on the go? Download the Starbucks Card Mobile app on the App Store. Just use the “Other Apps” link below.

CSHawkeye81
Sep 23, 2009, 09:51 AM
I was just talking about this the other day with a friend on why Starbucks didnt have an app.

MacRumors
Sep 23, 2009, 10:32 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/09/23/starbucks-apps-flow-into-app-store/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/09/23/111541-starbucks-locations.jpg

Two Starbucks apps made an entrance into the App Store early this morning, one - myStarbucks - offering store location capabilities and menu browsing while the other, the Starbucks Mobile Card app, provides a variety of features to manage and reload Starbucks cards as well as a unique payment system that's being piloted in a handful of stores. The myStarbucks app takes advantage of the peer-to-peer connectivity over Bluetooth that debuted (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/03/17/highlights-of-apples-iphone-os-3-0-preview-copy-and-paste-a2dp-mms-much-more/) with the iPhone 3.0 firmware.

The myStarbucks app can use the iPhone's location to find the nearest Starbucks stores. The Starbucks food menu, along with nutritional information, can also be viewed. Favorite drinks can be customized, saved for future reference, and shared via email or directly with another iPhone or iPod touch user who has the myStarbucks app open and Bluetooth turned on.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/09/23/111541-starbucks-fave-drink.jpg http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/09/23/111541-starbucks-bluetooth.jpg

The Starbucks Card Mobile app allows holders of Starbucks Cards to view card balance, reload a card, view transaction history information, and more. It also features a new payment system that's being piloted in 16 stores in the San Francisco Bay and Seattle areas that will allow users to make payments directly through an iPhone. To head off inevitable questions about the expansion of this program, a button labeled "When is it coming to my Starbucks?" reveals the following answer:

We are testing mobile payment in select stores in Seattle and Silicon Valley. In the coming months we will be evaluating additional locations and would love your input. To follow our process and share ideas on Starbucks Card Mobile, visit www.mystarbucks.com. Thanks for your interest in Starbucks Card Mobile.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/09/23/111541-starbucks-reload.jpg

Starbucks is currently offering a $5 bonus on Starbucks Cards Mobile accounts the first time a card is reloaded with a Visa card through the Starbucks Card Mobile app.

Starbucks has partnered with Apple in other areas, including offering a music partnership (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/09/05starbucks.html) that offers customers the ability to purchase currently playing songs in Starbucks locations directly on an iPhone, iPod touch, or computer with iTunes. iPhone and iPod touch users can also benefit from free Wi-Fi connectivity (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/10/29/atandt-finally-offering-free-wifi-for-iphone-users") at Starbucks locations with AT&T hotspots.

The myStarbucks [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=331177714&mt=8)] and Starbucks Card Mobile app [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=331379009&mt=8)] are both free and available now.

Article Link: Starbucks Apps Flow into App Store (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/09/23/starbucks-apps-flow-into-app-store/)

avigalante
Sep 23, 2009, 10:44 AM
Ah, yes, iPhones/iPods making the world evermore anti-social.

UngratefulNinja
Sep 23, 2009, 10:47 AM
Grrr if you hav e a duetto card it won't bring it into the app yet for some reason.

NightStorm
Sep 23, 2009, 10:49 AM
I'm curious as to why they didn't just release one app with the combined functionality of both?

alent1234
Sep 23, 2009, 10:56 AM
i've used two of the unofficial apps, but now i'm using the Where app. It's nice that it supports a lot more features than just Starbucks and helps with app clutter. i've seen a few other apps that now combine what used to be multiple simple apps into one app

iPhone 62S
Sep 23, 2009, 11:00 AM
Neither of these are in the UK store :(

alent1234
Sep 23, 2009, 11:04 AM
what is the point of ordering functionality? most of the NYC stores are like assembly lines and very fast

Ericatomars
Sep 23, 2009, 11:19 AM
I think this is one of those things that sounds like a cool idea, but its just fueling the starbuck junkies, as well as making people anti social... Lets see how popular this app is?

Scooterman1
Sep 23, 2009, 11:20 AM
I've had, and used, Starbucks in the past. They almost NEVER give out ANY added benefit for using the card.

So, WHY do you need to use a card. It's just for paying for you coffee. And you have the added trouble of reloading the card quite frequently since the price of the coffee will deplete your card very rapidly.

So, isn't it a lot easier to use your Debit card? DUH, Starbucks...

spillproof
Sep 23, 2009, 11:21 AM
Why 2 apps? They both seem like a good idea. I'll have to try them out but I doubt the new pay feature will work at my campus.

stagi
Sep 23, 2009, 11:23 AM
the link for the store locator isn't working for me (to see what bay area stores you can use your phone to pay) anyone else see a list of stores? Might have to try this out today.

stagi
Sep 23, 2009, 11:27 AM
I've had, and used, Starbucks in the past. They almost NEVER give out ANY added benefit for using the card.

So, WHY do you need to use a card. It's just for paying for you coffee. And you have the added trouble of reloading the card quite frequently since the price of the coffee will deplete your card very rapidly.

I would rather use one transaction on my ATM card every month to put money on my starbucks card and then use that daily. Much better when I have to reconcile my checkbook and there are 30 transactions for $3.00 (in my mind, easier to do) I try and rarely use my ATM card now for little stuff just pull cash for the week and use that for lunch and other small items.

creon
Sep 23, 2009, 11:30 AM
i've used two of the unofficial apps, but now i'm using the Where app. It's nice that it supports a lot more features than just Starbucks and helps with app clutter. i've seen a few other apps that now combine what used to be multiple simple apps into one app

Check out Yelp.

I found Where to be less than helpful compared to Yelp.

Rojo
Sep 23, 2009, 11:34 AM

Actually, there ARE some benefits (if you register your card, that is):

Free syrup and milk options for your beverage.
Free brewed coffee refills (hot or iced).
Free Tall (12 fl oz) beverage with your 1 lb whole bean purchase.
Up to two hours free AT&T Wi-Fi per day.
Free drink on your birthday

Plus, it's useful for someone like me, who is trying to "budget" my Starbucks drinking. If I just used my debit card, my Starbucks binges would be out of control. :D

Why 2 apps? They both seem like a good idea.

Yeah... two apps is simply ridiculous! They should be combined into one app. I really don't like the idea of wasting space with two apps. If there ends up being ways to use the Starbucks card one at any NYC 'Bucks, than I'll get that one. The other one is useless to me, as there is literally a Starbucks everywhere you turn here...

axiom49
Sep 23, 2009, 11:37 AM
in the UK if you use the Starbucks card to pay, you get extra's on your drinks free.

MalibuMatt98
Sep 23, 2009, 11:53 AM
Wow, now there is an app for that too. Now only if they could implement a system where you can send your order ahead, pay for it with you Starbucks card, so all you have to do is pick up the drink when you arrive. That would be extremely useful.

macduke
Sep 23, 2009, 12:22 PM
Yeah... two apps is simply ridiculous! They should be combined into one app. I really don't like the idea of wasting space with two apps. If there ends up being ways to use the Starbucks card one at any NYC 'Bucks, than I'll get that one. The other one is useless to me, as there is literally a Starbucks everywhere you turn here...

The reason is simple: this new functionality is a trial. They don't want people getting upset and leaving bad reviews for the main app because it doesn't work at their location. They will most likely roll this payment feature into the main location finding app in a future update. That is, if the trial proves sucessful and they have implemented it at the majority of their locations.

geekmommy4
Sep 23, 2009, 12:25 PM
what is the point of ordering functionality? most of the NYC stores are like assembly lines and very fast

I wish ours were! I never stop unless I have time to kill. I don't see how ordering functionality would work very well, though. It'd be hard to time it right and get your coffee hot. Lots of people have asked for that since the first prototypes came out, though.

Compile 'em all
Sep 23, 2009, 12:27 PM
Drink proper coffee. /partypooper

libertyforall
Sep 23, 2009, 12:39 PM
Well isn't that dumb, two apps for one purpose -- just make ONE app please!!! I mean I don't need more icons littering my Springboard just to add a feature, build it into one app. Sheesh. :confused:

Veinticinco
Sep 23, 2009, 01:01 PM
And you're sad, why exactly?

An app that shows you where your nearest Starbucks is? :rolleyes:

On the contrary, I'd happily pay for an app that instead showed you those increasingly rare blackspots that have eluded/defied that evil corporation of brown sludge merchants.

Veinticinco
Sep 23, 2009, 01:05 PM
Drink proper coffee. /partypooper
Hear hear, we want a Lavazza or Illy app :D

(Please god don't let anyone suggest a Nespresso app :rolleyes:)

Scooterman1
Sep 23, 2009, 01:12 PM
[quote=Rojo;8532342]Actually, there ARE some benefits (if you register your card, that is):

Free drink on your birthdayThe Free syrup is nice to know because I would have to argue with them over that one. They most always charged me extra.

They may have been because of their training to charge as much as they can.
I had to always argue about the difference in pricing on the way I ordered, and the way they were trained to ring it up.
Example: I would order a Venti Coffee Latte, add Dolce Cinnamon, add Hazelnut. I would pause between each item in that description.
They would ring it up as a Dolce Cinnamon Latte, add Hazelnut. This way, you were charged $.55 more than if they charged for a Latte, and .30 each for adding Cinnamon and Hazelnut. They don't tell you about how they automatically charged .55 more ringing it their way. You have to really watch their pricing.

Anyway, thanks for the info on the Items you listed.

Eddyisgreat
Sep 23, 2009, 01:22 PM
They may have been because of their training to charge as much as they can.
I had to always argue about the difference in pricing on the way I ordered, and the way they were trained to ring it up.
Example: I would order a Venti Coffee Latte, add Dolce Cinnamon, add Hazelnut. I would pause between each item in that description.
They would ring it up as a Dolce Cinnamon Latte, add Hazelnut. This way, you were charged $.55 more than if they charged for a Latte, and .30 each for adding Cinnamon and Hazelnut. They don't tell you about how they automatically charged .55 more ringing it their way. You have to really watch their pricing.

Lulz Barista's must hate you ;). My orders are never very complex. Vanilla Frappuccino w/ extra whip plz

Rojo
Sep 23, 2009, 01:28 PM
The reason is simple: this new functionality is a trial. They don't want people getting upset and leaving bad reviews for the main app because it doesn't work at their location. They will most likely roll this payment feature into the main location finding app in a future update. That is, if the trial proves sucessful and they have implemented it at the majority of their locations.

I forgot how idiotic reviewers can be even when an app is very clear in its description of what it can/can't do -- so I'll buy your explanation... ;)

I hope you're right, and they eventually fold the functionality into the one app.

The Free syrup is nice to know because I would have to argue with them over that one. They most always charged me extra.
***snip***
You have to really watch their pricing.

Yeah - you do.

I almost always order something extra -- usually soy milk but also syrups sometimes. It adds up after a while! So having a registered card is nice to not have to bother with that...

infowarfare
Sep 23, 2009, 01:30 PM
I'm still waiting for this:

After its debut in New York and Seattle on October 2, the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store will continue its national rollout to 350 Starbucks stores in the San Francisco Bay area on November 7; 500 stores in Los Angeles in early February 2008; 300 stores in Chicago in March 2008; and additional markets throughout the US later in 2008.

This never happened except for New York, Seattle and San Francisco. At the beginning of this year I thought it was finally going to happen here in Los Angeles; I would see the Starbucks logo in my iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store on the iPhone when I walked into a Starbucks (it just wouldn't show what was currently playing) but now that logo doesn't even show up any more. It's as if they just scrubbed the project. :(

dc73pd
Sep 23, 2009, 02:11 PM
HERES THE SCREEN I GET WHEN I TRY TO OPEN IT

/Users/markkeyes/Downloads/photo-1.jpg

lethalOne
Sep 23, 2009, 02:17 PM
As the title says... us Canucks are screwed on feature/app availability one more time.

karm
Sep 23, 2009, 02:52 PM
I hate carrying cards in my wallet. The basics like credit, debit, and id are fine but memberships, club cards, and gift cards get bulky fast.

This app sounds great for Starbucks but I would quickly fill my phone with one for Starbucks, one for groceries, and one for gas, as they are released.

It would be nice if the iPhone interface allowed for sub-menus of apps. Click Cards, and then pick the store you are at. Likewise, click Games, pick from your games. Much more organized.

netdog
Sep 23, 2009, 02:59 PM
No UK lurve on this one :(

macmedal
Sep 23, 2009, 04:45 PM
I downloaded both from the US store. The main app works great in the UK and locates stores near me in the UK. I guess that means it should be released in the UK soon. However the card app does not work with non US cards although it does log on to my account.

Chupa Chupa
Sep 23, 2009, 07:29 PM

Like everything in life, not everything works for everyone. Obviously you have no need for a card, but, personally, I find it very convenient. When I go on my morning walk I don't carry a wallet, just a Starbucks card and my house key. Recently they came out w/ a mini-card that fits on your key ring. Once I work through all my cards I've rec'd as gifts I'll get one of those.

Chupa Chupa
Sep 23, 2009, 07:31 PM
I'm curious as to why they didn't just release one app with the combined functionality of both?

I thought the same thing. Very disappointing b/c no way am I going to clutter up my iPhone w/ TWO SB apps, especially when both are of marginal use.

spencers
Sep 23, 2009, 07:36 PM
Log-ins keep failing intermittently.

And I still have yet to successfully reload my card after multiple tries.

alphaod
Sep 23, 2009, 09:45 PM
I love how you can add up to 12 shots to a short latte. :D

Actually, there ARE some benefits (if you register your card, that is):

Free drink on your birthday

Plus, it's useful for someone like me, who is trying to "budget" my Starbucks drinking. If I just used my debit card, my Starbucks binges would be out of control. :D

The problem with the benefits:
1) I still get charged for the syrup.
3) Well you're buying that a bit overpriced; it's cheaper on Amazon or your local supermarket.
4) Limited to 1 store. Yes your wondering who goes to more than one Starbucks a day… *raises hand*.
5) Didn't get mine.

That said, I've happy to have Starbucks; so much easier to buy stuff; I don't have to know how much I spent on coffee until the end of the week.

That's interesting; I will watch for that next time.

Firewolve
Sep 24, 2009, 02:55 AM

Same here. Can't log into my account.

alent1234
Sep 24, 2009, 08:59 AM
Check out Yelp.

I found Where to be less than helpful compared to Yelp.

i was playing with the new Monocle functionality in Yelp and it said there was a restaraunt across the street. too bad it closed years ago

sparkomatic
Sep 24, 2009, 10:29 AM
Same here. Can't log into my account.

+1 here too. Not that I can really use this app cause the trial is not in my area but it is somewhat annoying that I can't even log into the app with my account.

I'd love to see this take off and be able to ditch the card I have to carry in my wallet. Hate having to carry membership cards.

spencers
Sep 24, 2009, 10:31 AM
Oh and the article is misleading. You MUST reload the card with $25 to get the free $5.

bretm
Sep 24, 2009, 11:34 AM
Ah, yes, iPhones/iPods making the world evermore anti-social.

That's right young whipper snapper! And I remember when the invention of that there telephone made writing letters nearly obsolete. It just ain't right.

I think we've got enough socializing. Between email, texting, cell phones, chat rooms, etc. it's surprising ang any work gets done. I think we can live with expediting our starbucks order.

optophobia
Sep 24, 2009, 11:46 PM
Its nice to live in Seattle.....

spillproof
Sep 25, 2009, 02:58 AM
Its nice to live in Seattle.....

I wish I could :( Bellevue is nice too :)

PCMacUser
Sep 25, 2009, 05:48 AM
Now if only Starbucks made good coffee...

superflush
Sep 25, 2009, 08:54 AM

I disagree. There actually is a benefit to the card. Starbucks Card Rewards.

Also, if you go to Starbucks a lot, would you rather have a bunch of $2 & $3 charges clogging up your AmEx statement, or just a $35 or $40 charge every time you go through that amount (however long it takes you). I'd much rather have the card. The added benefit or the rewards, plus the cc charge benefit. I think it is definitely worth it.

superflush
Sep 25, 2009, 08:54 AM
I would rather use one transaction on my ATM card every month to put money on my starbucks card and then use that daily. Much better when I have to reconcile my checkbook and there are 30 transactions for $3.00 (in my mind, easier to do) I try and rarely use my ATM card now for little stuff just pull cash for the week and use that for lunch and other small items.

Ha, didn't get to your post yet. But exactly my point.;)

superflush
Sep 25, 2009, 08:57 AM

This is what I'm getting too!!!
Without the ability to logon, the Starbucks Card Mobile app is useless.

I messaged starbucks.com, but they haven't gotten back to me yet

Ug, let me logon please. Plus I want that free $5

freacus
Sep 25, 2009, 10:49 PM
Any idea on where the disconnect is on why this app (along with many others) isn't available from the App store in Canada? Is it Apple? Starbucks? Doesnt make a heck of a lot of sense that it wouldn't be available north of the border.

normwood
Sep 26, 2009, 04:26 AM
Any idea on where the disconnect is on why this app (along with many others) isn't available from the App store in Canada? Is it Apple? Starbucks? Doesnt make a heck of a lot of sense that it wouldn't be available north of the border.

Tim Horton is paying them to leave it off the Canadian store. :D

Steve

nomad01
Sep 26, 2009, 05:01 AM

I downloaded this yesterday and it does work for finding UK stores. The drinks and food options don't really apply for the UK but it's a pretty smart looking app I thought.

Hear hear, we want a Lavazza or Illy app :D

Or a proper coffee app! ;-)

superflush
Sep 26, 2009, 07:52 AM

Well, I'm overseas right now, and I can tell you that the "find starbucks near me" feature that is in the MyStarbucks works just fine. So, its probably just that the apps haven't been put in the different international App Stores. So, there is really no reason why the MyStarbucks app couldn't be in every App Store that has Starbucks in them (although language support for each country might be an issue). For the Starbucks Card Mobile app, I would think that would only become available where the Starbucks Card is available.

superflush
Sep 26, 2009, 07:55 AM
I downloaded this yesterday and it does work for finding UK stores. The drinks and food options don't really apply for the UK but it's a pretty smart looking app I thought.

really. hm. I'm in Prague right now and it works for finding stores here. I would think that the UK would work as well.

And, yea, thats the other thing is that the drink menus & food menus are sometimes different from country-to-country ... and sometimes the language is different as well. That is maybe why they aren't putting it in every App Store (at least not yet).

Starbucks Card Mobile could potentially work in Canada, UK, & Ireland as well. Perhaps Japan too.

twoodcc
Sep 26, 2009, 09:33 AM
now i think this is neat. i know starbucks has been hurting a little lately. maybe this can help them

ScottNWDW
Sep 26, 2009, 10:15 AM
Personally I like the myStarbuscks app. It works great here in Florida and I like the fact that I can see what the menus are in the stores I frequent most. I also like the ability to save my drinks, so that when I try something new, and really like it I can enter in the way it was ordered for the future.

In regards to the Mobile App card, I also like that too. It's an easy way to see what the balance of my card is. I do keep track of my balance using Pocket Money already, but this app is a good way for me to know what is on Starbuck's records. I also like the ability to reload the card right from the app whenever I want. I've had no problems reloading the card using the app and I did get the $5 credited to my account already.

I don't visit a Starbucks on a regular basis, but I do like having the card handy. Besides the rewards I just like to have the convenience of having the card and using that to pay for the drinks or purchases. It's also an easy way for me to budget my Starbucks purchases.

Since the Payment via iPhone is in a test stage in a very few locations, I can see why they created the two different apps. I do agree that it would be better if the functionality of both apps were in one app. Hopefully if the payment method goes to all the stores thetwo apps can be merged in the future. For now, I'm happy with having both apps.

ShannaSchueller
Sep 26, 2009, 11:07 AM
Lulz Barista's must hate you ;). My orders are never very complex. Vanilla Frappuccino w/ extra whip plz

I am a member of some communities on livejournal that have sbux baristas and can tell you they hate people ordering frappuccinos.

Nothing against you; i don't work at a sbux and i like the fraps too. ;)

nomad01
Sep 26, 2009, 12:02 PM
really. hm. I'm in Prague right now and it works for finding stores here. I would think that the UK would work as well.

No I said it does work in the UK for finding stores. :)

Starbucks Card Mobile could potentially work in Canada, UK, & Ireland as well. Perhaps Japan too.

Doesn't work currently. Needs a card that's been registered in the USA.

superflush
Sep 26, 2009, 12:18 PM
Ah okay, I see. Must have misread that.

The Starbucks Card Mobile doesn't work for me even, as I can't login!!

ScottNWDW
Sep 27, 2009, 07:46 AM
Ah okay, I see. Must have misread that.

The Starbucks Card Mobile doesn't work for me even, as I can't login!!

Do you have an account set up on www.starbucks.com/card ?
If not, then you need to set one up, then at that time, you could log in.

boyreinvented
Sep 27, 2009, 10:16 AM
It's frustrating when articles like this make no mention that this is US only. There is an entire world out here and just assuming that everyone who reads the site is in the US is frankly rather irritating! Not to mention how it plays up to the stereotype!

flakes8
Sep 27, 2009, 02:13 PM
I Love Coffee !!!! :D America Is The World :p

superflush
Sep 27, 2009, 02:41 PM
Do you have an account set up on www.starbucks.com/card ?
If not, then you need to set one up, then at that time, you could log in.

Yes, I do. I have had one for a long time.
I get the error that is the same as the screenshot another user posted here.
And then, if I try to simply add my card, it says something like "you already have an online logon, so please logon" ... but of course, I am unable to login.

superflush
Sep 27, 2009, 02:45 PM
It's frustrating when articles like this make no mention that this is US only. There is an entire world out here and just assuming that everyone who reads the site is in the US is frankly rather irritating! Not to mention how it plays up to the stereotype!

To be fair, it was a WSJ article, and Starbucks is an American company. I'm sure there are articles in the Times of London or BBC which don't specify whether something is available in different places.

But both apps should be available in the UK. There are plenty of Starbucks in the UK, and the Starbucks Card is used there as well. Maybe Starbucks wants to hold off and customize the menus for each country.

icloud
Sep 27, 2009, 11:09 PM
I'm in Canada (Calgary FYI), and I managed to get the app using a walkaround U.S. account. This app should be in the Canadian store soon and I'm basing it on the fact that the app is fully functional here. The store locator and store details, phone numbers and such all appear for Canadian locations. It even says 'Postal code/zip code' in the location search field which suggests it'll be in other areas soon.

eyehop
Sep 28, 2009, 05:44 PM
Is there an app that finds interesting, unique, non-corporate, anti-mediocrity?

Anonymous Freak
Sep 28, 2009, 08:43 PM
Is there an app that finds interesting, unique, non-corporate, anti-mediocrity?

How 'bout Beer Signal (http://beersignal.taplister.com/Info.html)?

superflush
Oct 1, 2009, 11:52 AM
Yes, I do. I have had one for a long time.
I get the error that is the same as the screenshot another user posted here.
And then, if I try to simply add my card, it says something like "you already have an online logon, so please logon" ... but of course, I am unable to login.

About the login issue:

I called the Starbucks card line (after writing to them online 2 times and never hearing back). They said this is a known issue that they are working on. They also quickly mentioned that it has something to do with online accounts that have auto-reload setup. I think its pretty bad when some of the more loyal customers can't even use the app.:rolleyes:

superflush
Oct 21, 2009, 04:10 PM
Finally let me login and use the app.
Looks like they fixed that issue.

oammi2
Oct 24, 2009, 08:41 AM
Starbucks has an app seriously....

superflush
Oct 24, 2009, 03:53 PM

they have 2

nomad01
Oct 25, 2009, 03:22 AM

Yep. As it says in the title.

businessgo
Oct 25, 2009, 02:19 PM
Don't think it's available in the UK as yet. Suppose they will make a decision after testing it out on the US soil.

lllll
Oct 28, 2009, 08:58 PM
You know what would make Starbuck Apps even more interesting??? The ability to drink virtual coffee like that stupid iBeer app. LOL

I guesss they didnt want to include an ordering menu because people could be placing hundreds of fake orders. lol. Make it a virtual order and we'll drink a virtual coffee like that useless ibeer app. :D

The Wall Street Journal reported on two new Starbucks apps. The first one is called myStarbucks (http://linktoapp.com/myStarbucks)that helps you find stores and provides menu information and lets you "design" a drink. They are testing another one in the Seattle area that lets you use your iPhone as your Starbucks card. It's called Starbucks Card Mobile (http://linktoapp.com/Starbucks+Card+Mobile). No ordering functionality mentioned.

Edit: I just tried this out and it's actually kind of fun to browse their coffees and drink options. I always feel so rushed when I'm in their store.

Here's the link to the article (http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2009/09/23/starbucks-unveils-its-first-iphone-apps/).

From the MyStarbucks iTunes description:

Finally, the official iPhone application from Starbucks! Want to find a store that’s open, with a drive through? Now you can do that and more with myStarbucks. Explore our whole bean coffees, find nutrition information, and build your own perfect drinks. Want to share? You can send your drink to friends by email, SMS, or directly to their iPhone or iPod® touch.

FEATURES
• Store Locator: Display the closest stores, directions, store hours and amenities—find stores with a drive through, oven warmed food, and more!
• Drink Builder: Create and share your perfect Starbucks® beverages
• Food Menu: Browse the menu and see detailed nutritional info and ingredients
• Coffee Menu: Explore every Starbucks® whole bean coffee
• myStarbucks: Save all of your favorites for quick recall and sharing

And this is just version 1.0 – we will be adding new and exciting features in future releases. Want to join the conversation? Go to www.mystarbucksidea.com to contribute your opinion on what Starbucks should do next.

Would you like to keep track of your Starbucks Card balance on the go? Download the Starbucks Card Mobile app on the App Store. Just use the “Other Apps” link below.

superflush
Oct 28, 2009, 09:11 PM
I guesss they didnt want to include an ordering menu because people could be placing hundreds of fake orders.

You can pay with the iPhone with the Starbucks Card Mobile app in the Bay Area & Seattle.