Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oats

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
New York
Probably this question has been asked, but couldn't find anything after searching...

I am interested in an iPhone 3Gs, but don't want/need a cell plan. I only plan to use Wi-Fi, and never make cell calls (I'm a verizon customer, if you care).

Reasons the iPod touch doesn't meet my needs: no camera (and the video cam in the nano doesn't take stills). No GPS.

So in theory, could I buy a used iPhone 3Gs on craigslist sometime in the future, never use a calling plan, but continue to use the iPhone as an iPod touch BUT with GPS functionality and a camera? Would I still be able to download apps, etc, or will Apple lock it down if it's not on the cell network?

rjsmith18

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2008
I know that the iPhone works without the SIM card, but I don't think you would be able to do gps without a plan. I know it uses both wifi and cell towers to find its position prior to the satellite picking it up. You would also need a constant connection to wifi to see the maps.

countrydweller

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
GPS will work, you will need a wireless signal to do much. As for getting apps, that would be a no go, unless you have a friend who would use their sim to get them for you, that might work.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
you wouldn't need a wireless signal, if you can access the app store you could purchase a 'sat nav' app which has all the maps already installed.

This has been discussed here before, just took me awhile to find it.

Looks like it can be done!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.