PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook as Media Center / Other uses

nicorojas
Sep 23, 2009, 11:35 AM
So, my old and loyal powerbook no longer fits me for some of the stuff I want to do (mainly, working with audio). I decide to build a hackintosh for that purpose, following the guide that's on Gizmodo.

However, I don't want to sell the powerbook (1.5 GHz, 1.5 Gb RAM, 160 HDD). The superdrive no longer works, ethernet, only when he wants to. I probably would get little money.

So, I've been thinking about some alternative uses. The first that came to my mind is to use it as media center companion to a ps3, hooked up to a Panasonic HD Plasma (1920x1080) through DVI. I know it will not work for HD video, but I think is perfect for iTunes music and video management, iPhoto for slideshows, and some internet browsing. Better interface than the ps3 for those things.

I was thinking about buying an apple bluetooth keyboard to manage the laptop.

What do you think? What have you done with your old powerbooks?

ydmusic
Sep 23, 2009, 11:49 AM
I've done basically the same with my old 1.5 PB. Keep in mind, the bluetooth reception on these PB's in not so good. The BT keyboard will work fine, but the mouse will likely have less than ideal reception. I don't use it anymore.

I use the PB to stream videos from my time capsule over DVI to a 40" Samsung LCD TV. It works pretty well, as long as I select a lower resolution than 1920 X 1200. For DVD quality it works fine.

A powerbook also makes a great "guest computer" - so keep it around!

nicorojas
Sep 23, 2009, 02:43 PM
What do you use to control the laptop?