PDA

View Full Version : imac G4 and time capsule wireless issue

cutter24
Sep 23, 2009, 05:05 PM
I have a dual band time capsule working wirelessly with 3 macs all intel (24 iMac, mbp 13, mb 13) with no issues. I was trying to connect a 17" flat panel G4 to the same wireless network on the time capsule and it fails to see the network.

When I type in the network name and password (WPA) it comes back with "encryption method not supported by the wireless network". Although all the others macs are working on this same network using the same encryption, the old iMac refuses to play nice. Is there something else I've overlooked?

This G4 has been on a various wireless networks over the past 5 years. It is running 10.4.11 and I know it will not support time machine, but still hoping it can share the wireless network.

Thanks

CubeHacker
Sep 24, 2009, 05:52 PM
Is it WPA or WPA2? The original airport cards can support WPA encryption (through software I believe), but will not support WPA2. You need airport extreme for WPA2 support, and only the last line of 1.25ghz 17" and 20" iMac G4's had airport extreme cards in them.

cutter24
Sep 26, 2009, 09:38 AM
I know it is only an airport card, not extreme. I did try both settings (WPA, WPA2, since the time capsule is on WPA2. Maybe thats the issue now that you mention it, the capsule is on a different security and the imac can't access that security since it can't perform WPA2. HMMMMM.. I guess know I need to find out if original airport is supported. Appreciate the information

CubeHacker
Sep 26, 2009, 10:50 AM
Your iMac G4 is using an original airport card unless its the last 1.25ghz model. To allow it to access the wireless network, you must change it to use WPA. WPA2 encryption will not work.

commops106
Jan 27, 2012, 08:40 PM
I have a 1ghz IMAC and i have airport extreme should work if its airport extreme check the emc number at everymac.com