PDA

View Full Version : Dead Powerbook

TreeHugger
Sep 23, 2009, 05:09 PM
So... my trusty 1.5 GHZ 17" Powerbook died a few days ago... Already salvaged the hard drive and super drive. Rather than just tossing the thing, selling it on ebay, or using it as a massive paper weight I'd like to do something cool with it. Anybody got any ideas?

AFAIK, the monitor still works and the logicboard is fried. I'm thinking a cool DIY project is in order but I'm not sure where to start.

oculus42
Sep 23, 2009, 05:16 PM
without a logic board the cool do-it-yourself project probably either involves buying a new logic board or making a very slim fish tank.

TreeHugger
Sep 23, 2009, 05:21 PM
without a logic board the cool do-it-yourself project probably either involves buying a new logic board or making a very slim fish tank.

Don't want to spend the money to bring it back to life. Besides, just got a new Macbook Pro :D

Thought of fish tank but PETA would come find me... I was thinking of secret storage for passport, money but that would be too easy. Maybe something a little more elaborate :)

allebone
Sep 23, 2009, 06:00 PM
Don't want to spend the money to bring it back to life. Besides, just got a new Macbook Pro :D

Thought of fish tank but PETA would come find me... I was thinking of secret storage for passport, money but that would be too easy. Maybe something a little more elaborate :)

Dude, if you are considering getting rid of some of them, I totally need a couple of weird parts a 17" might be able to provide. I'm in a weird predicament because of checking my bags at the Airport, and possibly from the part where a dude hit my bags with his luggage cart ten times, rolling over the bottom of my laptop. Oddly, the only things really jacked, was the "S" key, hard drive, memory module, the memory door on the bottom, part of the case, the Airport Extreme card...I've tried to buy some of the parts already, but I can't afford to buy them all right now. Let me know if there is anything you don't want to keep, I'll pay shipping at least.

Thanks.