Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
Background story.

(Apologies in advance for such a long post.)

I’m not getting my head around the net neutrality issue. For starters, I’m not sure I understand the objection to regulation.

OK, sure, big companies don’t want government regulation. I get that part. But it’s easy to conceive why regulation might be a good thing and then I get confused.

So let’s say regulation gets shot down, it won’t be long before some big, greedy company is going to use its big pipe to the Internet to force some small company into bankruptcy, and Big Company will then be able to buy up Little Company’s intellectual property at a fire sale. For reference, check the Microsoft antitrust action.

Then, let’s say I’m a little developer who has created a lousy product that needs easy, speedy access to the Internet. When my product stinks, I’ll find a lawyer who says he can make me a bundle of money by telling a jury that the reason I’m not rich is because Big Company is using the same tricks on me that it used on Little Company. No real basis in fact, but certainly a pain for Big Company, so it decides to settle. Now a new genre is created in the legal community.

Let’s say an Internet company actually cares about its customers, and it wants to help the majority by keeping a minority from spending too much time using bandwidth-hogging sites. Except, most of those sites are from the top content providers -- TV networks -- who just about all have some relationship with all the big Internet companies.

Finally, if the Internet companies maintain the right to limit what gets sent down their wires, they’ll also end up with the responsibility. So when the prudes don’t like they see on their computer screens, the No. 1 avenue for redress won’t be the person or company that published the offending material, their lawyers will go for the deep pockets: the Internet companies.

Sure, I get that it’s hard to trust the government with regulating the Internet, but is it really hard to imagine crafting some kind of regulatory structure that makes everybody (at least most people) happy? We’ve survived with the government regulating telephone lines and that’s the most analogous thing out there. Without regulation -- and I hate to get all paranoid, but it seems conceivable -- we could have Internet monopolies decided what machines we own and what software we run.

mt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.