PDA

View Full Version : Google keeping an April's Fool joke doesn't hurt credibility?

setatakahashi
Jul 11, 2004, 12:49 PM
The technology behind Google's great results (http://www.google.com/technology/pigeonrank.html) is a joke and Google kept in their site. Doesn't it hurt credibility?

LeeTom
Jul 11, 2004, 12:53 PM
It's so obviously a joke, and a funny one at that, that I think it helps their credibility. People want a company that can joke about itself and be easy going, not a faceless corporation with press releases and stock photos.

Lee Tom

edesignuk
Jul 11, 2004, 01:36 PM
Are you joking? :D

stoid
Jul 11, 2004, 02:41 PM
If you honestly think that it is possible that pigeons are reviewing websites, then you need to shut down you computer and get OFF of the internet. Because if that is something that you will even CONSIDER to be true... I've got a nice chunk of real estate in South Florida to sell you. It's perfect for a parking lot, or a skyscraper. ;)

Give me a break.

virividox
Jul 11, 2004, 05:40 PM
bwahahahahhahahahaha that is hilarious!!!

scem0
Jul 11, 2004, 11:34 PM
oh my.

I love google even more now. One of the few websites that never dissapoints, and now they make me laugh too!

scem0

themadchemist
Jul 12, 2004, 01:32 AM
While I don't think it'll hurt Google's credibility per se, I think you'll see much less of this sort of thing after the company goes public.

Abstract
Jul 12, 2004, 04:19 AM
How can this hurt credibility?

dvdh
Jul 12, 2004, 09:02 AM
thats funny:

Hemingray
Jul 12, 2004, 10:10 AM
Hah! That's great. :D

And I'm sure you guys have gone to Google's Language Tools (http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en) and selected such languages as "Bork, bork, bork!", "Elmer Fudd", "Hacker", "Klingon" and "Pig Latin".

I admire serious websites that aren't afraid to be humorous. In my opinion, Google ranks #1 (sorry, no pun intended :rolleyes: ) when it comes to that.

michaelrjohnson
Jul 12, 2004, 10:11 AM
I dont' think it hurts or helps credibility... They have the best results, so I guess, Pigeon-powered results reign supreme.

Flowbee
Jul 12, 2004, 12:06 PM
I was looking forward to investing in Google stock, but now that I know they use pigeons to rank the search results I'll have think twice. I've been burned by several pigeon-related investments in the past.