Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mobile ad firm AdMob today released a bit of data that provides an interesting glimpse into operating system versions being used on the iPhone and iPod touch. According to a survey of ad requests received during the week of September 15th-22nd, just after Apple's release of iPhone OS 3.1, 23% of aggregate users of the iPhone OS had already updated to iPhone OS 3.1. An additional 51% of users were running iPhone OS 3.0, with the remainder running earlier versions of iPhone OS.

204144-iphone_os_sept_09.png

Interestingly, AdMob notes that when data is broken out into iPhone versus iPod touch, a full 91% of ad requests from iPhones are from users running iPhone OS 3.0 or 3.1, while only 35% of iPod touch users are running some flavor of iPhone OS 3.0. The disparity highlights the effect of Apple's iPhone OS upgrade fees for iPod touch users, a phenomenon noted in previous reports from AdMob.

Article Link: Ad Request Metrics Reveal iPhone OS 3.1 Adoption

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Apple has an upgrade cycle that uniquely gives customers both confidence in upgrades and incentive to upgrade. It probably helps they make it convenient and free/cheap to upgrade.

Some users like me are trailing edge adopters on old hardware and leading edge adopters on new hardware. As such you get the slight "barbell" distribution in the data.

Rocketman

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
I think eventually Apple is going to have to drop the charge for iPod Touch upgrades and make them free too! It would be better for the platform, developers, and consumers. It wouldn't really hurt Apple much, and the pros I just outlined are more a benefit to Apple than a small sliver of revenue.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I have a 3G running 3.1 not jailbroken and a 3Gs running 3.0 jailbroken.
3.1 doesn't offer a whole lot more and is not worth losing jailbreak.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
I'm surprised that there are people still running the 2.2.1 OS..

i upgraded my wife's 3G to 3.0 when it came out. didn't see anything new. probably have to wait for the apps to come out to take advantage of new functionality

and i sync my wife's iphone maybe once a month

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Still at 3.0 on my 3GS, but upgraded my 2G to 3.1.

Not really much of a difference.

phatcat

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
I have a 3G running 3.1 not jailbroken and a 3Gs running 3.0 jailbroken.
3.1 doesn't offer a whole lot more and is not worth losing jailbreak.

I agree. I'm holding out for 3.1 until jailbreak's available. As rarely as I use it, tethering is a feature I don't want to lose (PDAnet).

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
This clearly shows 3.1 is not being adopted. The only reason....BUGS in 3.1

Apple, get of your a-- and fix the OS...I mean 4 beta's and it still does not work right.

JayV2010

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2008
Whats funny is i know people that have an iphone that have NEVER hooked them up to a computer. they just download apps and music to the iphone and even when I tell them that they really need to upgrade their firmware it only takes a minute.

Some people just use them as phones!

cscturulo

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
It's because of the Unlock

I think many people haven't adopted the new iPhone 3.1 update because they are on an unlocked phone, and the 3.1 unlock isn't really stable at the moment. I wish the 3.1 unlock would come out!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.