PDA

View Full Version : Mac users who do 3D please come forward.

upperblue79
Jul 11, 2004, 02:32 PM
This forum (http://www.3dkingdom.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=38422&sid=044786acf4cf285af569e820a7409e83#38422) really could use some education. Please don't blast them or be rude, just educate nicely. :) Thanks.

JesseJames
Jul 11, 2004, 03:32 PM
Well, it's all good. Yes, PC's have been way ahead in the 3D market for awhile now. But now that Lightwave 3D is on board and Alias is going to be releasing Maya Unlimited for OS X very very soon, the platforms are pretty much even.
It comes down to personal preference. And any artist worth their salt knows it's not the machine it's the talent that gets you hired and working.

agreenster
Jul 11, 2004, 11:33 PM
Meh.

No reason to argue.

dvdh
Jul 12, 2004, 10:38 AM
They are right that 3dsMax is lacking on the Mac platform. If discreet could be convinced to make that cross platform, I think it would be a big help in getting more people switched up. (rumor is that 3dsMax Linux is in the works, so that would be one step closer and might directly help the PPC/Linux users out there.)

Maya Unlimited is a huge step though, and I was happy to see that Alias is committing to Mac at the same level they have to PC. Maybe they have seen the *light*, which means that Discreet will have little option but to follow suit in the near future. It is notable that Kaydara is already cross platform for the most part (MotionBuilder and FBX are cross platform, but MOCAP is not yet)

redynvre
Jul 12, 2004, 11:07 AM
Well, if Alias would kind enough to give us StudioTools, that would be great too! For industrial design it is quite a nice software! More suitable than Maya.

Now of course SolidWorks could do the same, but I think pigs will fly before that happens!

I could finally get rid of the PC if they came on the Mac.

CandelLife
Jul 13, 2004, 11:35 AM
I was looking for the right thread to ask this same question about....I heard MAC's are better for graphics, yet my pc can run PhotoShop, Maya, Lightwave, Bryce, etc..just fine. So what would the advantage be to having a MAC graphically speaking? I seriously want to know because I would hate to spend money on a MAC just to find out I could do everything it does on my pc.

jackieonasses
Jul 13, 2004, 11:37 AM
I was looking for the right thread to ask this same question about....I heard MAC's are better for graphics, yet my pc can run PhotoShop, Maya, Lightwave, Bryce, etc..just fine. So what would the advantage be to having a MAC graphically speaking? I seriously want to know because I would hate to spend money on a MAC just to find out I could do everything it does on my pc.

are you talking about wireless routers or Mac's with the term MAC?

JesseJames
Jul 13, 2004, 12:13 PM

Use what you trust. Use what you know.
I heard Weta Digital (did the Lord of the Rings) used IBM Intellistations. Some smaller post-production botique studios are exclusively Mac. So it all depends.
Most game developers run 3D Studio Max. Most TV post houses may use Lightwave.
Major post-houses and in-house studio effects departments will use Maya and Softimage on some serious Wintel workstations.

Right now or in the coming year. I'm sure the G5 and the Mac OS will be making studios look twice rather than just a dismissive wave.

Personally, I'd like one of those aforementioned IBM's. And a top-of-the-line dual G5 :D
No way are my pockets that deep.

CandelLife
Jul 13, 2004, 08:35 PM
Thank you JesseJames, just what I was wondering about. I priced a few since I asked and saw the prices were about the same....lower to higher end, getting what you pay for. I think the one that looked best was a bit over $3,000.00 LOL....not in the budget right now, but will look again first of the year. Perhaps having both would be a good idea. I might buy a lower end model just to check it out.
Thanks alot! :)

iris_failsafe
Jul 13, 2004, 09:00 PM
The 2 problems facing the mac and 3d are the lack of professional graphic cards (Nvidia Quadro, ATI Fire GL, 3D Labs Wildcat) and the lack of some key software (namely Softimage and 3DS Max).

About the cards there has been a lot of rumours that they are going to be released for the G5. As the other packages, Both Softimage and Discreet (Autodesk) are very anti mac so I don't see them releasing there software yet. I guess they would wait for the pro cards to come out, and the cards makers would wait for the programmes to come out :mad:

cheekyspanky
Jul 13, 2004, 09:42 PM
If ProEngineer Wildfire was released on the Mac platform I'd switch in a second - alas they don't seem to be bothering

"Dear Mr Williams,

There are currently no plans to support the Apple/Mac platform for
Pro/E. You can find all supported platforms on this homepage:
http://www.ptc.com/partners/hardware/current/support.htm

Mit freundlichen Gruessen/ Best regards

Sebastian Ulrich
Technical Support
PTC"