PDA

View Full Version : Macbook video display on tv missing sound

locomodem
Sep 23, 2009, 10:18 PM
Have a macbook 13", early spring 2009 model and purchased a mini-dvi to hdmi cable that connects to a hdmi cable. i'm able to view anything on the mac on the tv fine, but the audio is coming from the macbook, not the tv.

Is there something i need to do to have the audio output from the macbook to the tv ?

tnx

SqB
Sep 23, 2009, 10:24 PM
you're using the dvi output which doesn't have sound capability. you'll have to feed sound from the macbook to the tv via the headphone port.

ziggyonice
Sep 24, 2009, 12:16 AM
you're using the dvi output which doesn't have sound capability. you'll have to feed sound from the macbook to the tv via the headphone port.

Exactly. The reason why you're not getting sound is because audio does not travel through DVI.

The only way to fix this is to get an audio cable, and you have two options. You either need a headphone-to-composite cable (red/white) or a Mini Toslink Optical cable. The Mini Toslink Optical cable will give you pure, digital sound, but the TV or sound system you're connecting it to has to support optical input. Here's a picture of what the port looks like.

http://img.tfd.com/cde/_TOSLINK.JPG

locomodem
Sep 24, 2009, 01:11 AM
thank you very much, going to radio shack tomorrow to get the Mini Toslink Optical cable. My lcd does support optical input.

bosox2009
Sep 26, 2009, 07:28 AM
1/8" mini-jack out to optical in? That is what my June 09 MacBook Pro would need for an optical audio solution. I didn't know they existed.

but searching the web... I guess they do!

locomodem
Sep 28, 2009, 03:26 PM
i am still not getting any audio out with both cables on my white macbook (not pro), here is what i have:

6ft Toslink to Mini Toslink Cable from amazon (http://www.amazon.com/6ft-Toslink-Mini-Cable/dp/B000FMXKC8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1254169225&sr=1-1)

Mini-DVI to HDMI Adapter from moinoprice (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041912&p_id=4852&seq=1&format=2)

the mini-dvi cable is displaying video on both mac and the tv
the toslink cable is going from my headphone jack to the optical out of my Vizio VO420E lcd tv (http://70.182.180.218/documents/downloads/hdtv/VO420E/158Manual.pdf). is there some setting i am missing. if i remove the toslink cable, it works fine and my headphones also work fine from the macbook.

please help!!

edit-spoke to vizio, they had no clue as to what i am talking about.

mchalebk
Sep 28, 2009, 03:51 PM
From looking at that manual, I don't think the TV has an optical input, only an output. I think you're going to have to use the analog input (red/white) and connect it as described on the top of page 17 (titled "HDMI Connections for Cable or Satellite Boxes with DVI").

aross99
Sep 28, 2009, 04:01 PM
I agree, you need to use the HDMI 2 input, and get a headphone to red/white RCA audio cable, and plug the red/white RCA connectors into the L/R Audio next to HDMI 2.

locomodem
Sep 28, 2009, 04:18 PM
mchalebk, your right, the toslink cable won't work on this tv. have to get a y-splitter headphone jack input to red-white audio output and use hdmi input2 for the video. this tv only supports optical output for a stereo system, there is no optical input hookup.

djhitmna01
Oct 26, 2009, 10:55 AM
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT CABLE THEY NEED TO MAKE IT WORK AS I HAVE THE IBOOK PRO AND HAVE HOOKED IT VAI THE HDMI. Great picture but cannot get sound. I know its a 3.5mm jack from the mac book pro. But what type of end do i need to plug in to my tv input. I have a lg 50ps3000-zb. manual link http://www.lge.com/uk/support/product/support-product-profile.jsp?customerModelCode=50PS3000&initialTab=documents&targetPage=support-product-profile#.

Here a picture of the back of my tv if it helps (sorry for the view it wasnt easy getting a pic)

HobeSoundDarryl
Oct 26, 2009, 11:43 AM
Generally speaking, the goal should be to maintain the best possible sound, which will be digital (optical or cable) for a first option and then analog (red & white RCA jacks) as a secondary option.

The easiest way to get things right is to think about signal flow. Audio will need to flow OUT of the computer and IN to the TV or Receiver. Thus, you need sound output option(s) on the computer and sound input option(s) on the TV or Receiver.

Digital options are first preference. Does your computer have digital out? If your computer doesn't have an digital out option, you'll need to go with analog, probably via a headphone jack. Either way, this will help you identify one end of the cable. And you're already half-way to your goal.

Where is the sound going? If you are trying to make a direct connection to the TV, you need to know what audio inputs the TV can handle. Chances are very good that it will take analog via red & white RCA connections. Chances are pretty good that it might have a digital IN ("IN" being key) connector.

If you are using analog out of the computer, you'll need to go analog into the TV. If you are using digital out of the computer, you need to use digital IN on the TV. Knowing what your TV can handle as audio INputs will help identify the other end of the cable you need.

A very simple analog solution (that is also almost universal): headphone jack out to red & white RCA jacks in. Many laptops (maybe all???) will have the headphone jack. Pretty much every TV will have analog (red & white) RCA jack inputs.

If you have a Receiver, you would probably find it better to route your computer audio directly to the Receiver. And if it is a fairly modern Receiver (made in the last 5+ years), chances are pretty high that it will have digital inputs for audio. Using a Receiver cuts the TV out of the equation for anything but the picture. Sound is pumped out of the computer and into the Receiver. Picture is pumped out of the computer and either directly to the TV, or into the Receiver and then forwarded from the Receiver to the TV.

Lastly, if you are trying to go straight to the TV (no Receiver), and you are pretty sure you have the right connections for audio (audio OUT of the computer, audio IN to the TV), chances are pretty good that you'll need to go into the TV menu settings, audio settings, and tell the TV where to get the audio you want to hear. For example, if you're using analog connections in jacks labeled "2" on your TV, you'll probably need to select Port/Zone 2 in the Menu, Audio settings.

Depending on your TV, you may also need to select "analog audio" or similar to tell the TV to use analog audio vs. digital audio.

powerbook911
Oct 26, 2009, 09:43 PM
if you just want analog sound to accompany the picture (really the best simplest choice): use something like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

It takes the stereo headset/speaker out on the Mac and turns it into white/red RCA cables. Plug the white/red into the audio input on your TV or audio receiver that accompanies the video input you are already using.

This is the setup I use. I have digital sound capability on my setup, but I reserve that for my Apple TV and sat receivers.