PDA

View Full Version : Using iPod as HD between several computers

tech4all
Jul 11, 2004, 05:33 PM
Ok you know how you can use iPod as a portable HD? And when you plug iPod into your Mac it opens up iTunes and syncs it, right? Now how about when I put some files on it (as a HD), and try to access the files from school. Wouldn't it open up iTunes and sync with that Mac erasing my playlists with whats on the school computer? Or am I missing something :confused:

lisius_kent
Jul 11, 2004, 06:22 PM
Well couldn't @ school just in the preferences of ITunes somewhere deselect. "open when IPod is connected" don't quote me on this but I know there is something like that somewhere in ITunes.

MontgomeryBurns
Jul 11, 2004, 06:41 PM
If you connect an ipod to a computer that it isn't synced with, iTunes on the non-synced computer will open and a dialogue pops up that specifically asks if you want to sync with that computer. It also says that you may lose any music on the ipod that isn't on the new computer. As long as you choose the 'No' option, your music will be safe and you'll be able to use the ipod as a removable drive.

edit: keeping in mind the fact that if you set the ipod up on your mac, you won't be able to use it on a pc.

seamuskrat
Jul 11, 2004, 07:27 PM
Yes this is possible. itunes will ask if you want to erase the current sync. Just say no.

On the desktop, you can drag and drop files to the drive like any other fw drive.

keep in mind, Apple does not support, nor is it wise to cross between Mac and PC with the iPod.

MikeLaRiviere
Jul 11, 2004, 07:30 PM
Another thing you can do is to force the iPod to enter disk mode. This will NOT allow you to play music on it, though you can always restore the music-playing functionality by performing a hard reset or updating firmware. If you plug your iPod into your computer, and open up Disk Utility, you can format the iPod. After formatting it, it is in "Disk Mode".

Mike LaRiviere