PDA

View Full Version : how to prevent itune to relocate movies

mac-I-bear
Sep 24, 2009, 11:33 AM
i have a lot of movie traliers categorized into folders and subfolders. I just drag'd them into the folder Music->Movies where itunes keeps the other movies i have; when i added them to the library, itunes moved them ALL (from their original folders/subfolder) under the Folder
Movies. is there a way to prevent itunes to relocate them out of their original folders so i can keep track of them (easily); once in the ipod i can have them sorted adding a prefix to their name (i guess or is there a better way)

kbmb
Sep 24, 2009, 06:30 PM
If you hold down the Option key while dragging the movie file from Finder onto iTunes it will create a link to the original and won't copy it to the organized iTunes Library.

Is that what you mean?

-Kevin

mac-I-bear
Sep 25, 2009, 12:19 PM
If you hold down the Option key while dragging the movie file from Finder onto iTunes it will create a link to the original and won't copy it to the organized iTunes Library.

Is that what you mean?

-Kevin

i'm at least 24 hrs of trying and will let you know - thanks for the help !!

Chimpy
Sep 26, 2009, 10:18 AM
I suspect you have "Keep my iTunes Media Folder organized" checked in Preferences (under Advanced). Is that it?

mac-I-bear
Sep 27, 2009, 07:16 PM

Is that what you mean?

-Kevin

holding the Option key while dragging works… so i moved the original files out to a spare external drive so i do not have dups on the MBP and i added a pre-fix to the files to keep them sort of organized together while browsing my ipod or iphone
for the moment this does what i need, thanks a lot for the help...
BUT take a look at my response to Chimpy

mac-I-bear
Sep 27, 2009, 07:18 PM
I suspect you have "Keep my iTunes Media Folder organized" checked in Preferences (under Advanced). Is that it?

yes, i do have "keep folders organized" checked and i have no idea what would happen if i uncheck it
i had a lot of trouble fixing the effect of "compilations" (do not like them)
BUT..
i have several TV shows and i like the way iTunes does that, there is one folder under music and under that folder there is one for each TV show and its episodes

that is exactly how i would like to have my movies organized in iTunes Music folder in the MBP and the way they sync into the ipod & iphone.. is this possible ?