PDA

View Full Version : AllMusic (redesign) going AllCrap?

nodmonkey
Jul 11, 2004, 08:53 PM
Knowing the mac fanbase is to be correlated almost squarely with a bunch of hardcore music fan(atics), I'm sure many of your have a place in your heart for the wonderful tome that is the All Music Guide link (http://allmusic.com). Its extensiveness is astounding, has many quality reviews and biographical tidbits and links it all together in a useful way by influences, styles, and scenes. Ahhh, lovely.

However, the AMG Team in their best intentions, seem to want to fudge all that up with a new overhauled site redesign... with the best intentions of course. At present, the new site design can only be see by AMG Insiders, but it will be open to all tomorrow.

If you're a fan of the old site, and if or when you see the new design, add your comments here. Basically, I wanted to start this thread because I had nowhere else to rant. Mine will follow.

nodmonkey
Jul 11, 2004, 09:02 PM
Crimes:

*site designed for IE 5.5+ for Windows. all jumbled layout in Safari.

*most links are coded as <a onlclick=...> rather than <a href=...> making them not behave as links under the mouse, can't be ctrl-clicked, and won't open in tabs when cmd-clicked!

*music samples offered in WMA format only.

*artist overview, biography, releases pages broken over several tabs (unlike on old design), so much clicking is needed to peruse general information. there's no 'show all' option. even the releases tab has subsections that cannot be displayed on onw page for release types! allmusic has become a clicking workout.

Annoyances:

*still no easy way to get simple URLs for pages of interest when browsing.

I just hope the old site design is still available in future... though I doubt it.

/rant off
(I love allmusic really, but not this move)