Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slmatis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2009
We got a brand new iPod Touch in July as a gift. The battery life was pretty bad even when it was new but now, it is completely dead. It doesn't matter how long we have it plugged into the computer, the screen just stays black. I'm asuming the battery inside the iPod is dead. Is that normal for it to die within a few months. This iPod has had very limited use. Because we got it as a gift, we do not have a sales receipt. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Joe

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Even though you don't have the sales receipt, you can still register it with Apple online and create a Genius Bar appointment at the Apple Store.

Ace134blue

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
We got a brand new iPod Touch in July as a gift. The battery life was pretty bad even when it was new but now, it is completely dead. It doesn't matter how long we have it plugged into the computer, the screen just stays black. I'm asuming the battery inside the iPod is dead. Is that normal for it to die within a few months. This iPod has had very limited use. Because we got it as a gift, we do not have a sales receipt. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Joe

Maybe it froze? Try holding down the home button and power button for 10 seconds

slmatis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2009
iBookG4User,

What is a genius bar appt? Clearly, I must not qua lity:rolleyes:

Ace134blue, thank did you for the suggestion. That did not work. Is there anything else you can think of?

Thank you.

Joe Matis

macsarethebest

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2009
go to: https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do
enter your serial number and follow the rest of the steps. A box will come in the mail, for free, put your iPod in it, and send it back. Apple will send you a new or refurbished one, and by the way refurbished is just as good, and sometimes better because they are inspected. good luck ;)

slmatis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2009
Thank you so much. I had no idea these links were out there. iBookG4user, I love your avatar.

agkm800

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Do the restore before you take it to the genius bar. Mine was fixed when I did the restore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.