Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gokunama

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
It didn't connect to any of the three vBulletin forums I frequent.

I believe the app description recommended people not download the app yet.
Don't why they would put on the app store.

Duffinator

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
130 miles NE of Cupertino
Thanks for the links and comments.

If you click on either of the links provided and scroll down to "customer also bought" there are a few more apps. It seems most of them don't have great reviews. Maybe the next versions will have nice improvements to them. I may try forums anyway. I'll report back if I do.

Any other suggestions?

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I have Forums and use it on three different forums; one of which is here. Seems to work good enough. There are some issues with nested forums but otherwise it is OK.

Odd, I just checked. I am using "Forums" but the icon is slightly different. The one I have is the same pacman style character but on green grass with a blue sky. The one on iTunes has a solid background. When I tried to write a review it said I needed to own it; I thought I did.

AHHH I see, there WAS a Forums Lite version, looks like they pulled it. Makes sense. BTW it isn't worth $4.99.

Pika

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2008
Japan
There is also [app]TouchBB[/app]

Unfortunately it requires a plug-in just like Tapatalk.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
TouchBB was supposed to be very good. I personally wouldn't pay for a forum app.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
I use Forums. Since the last update, it's better, and works with most of the forums I visit now. It didn't used to, but it's much better now. I do like it, however, $4.99 is steep for what it lacks. Sadly, it's the only one of it's kind at the moment.

Customer support on their official forum is also horrible. It takes days, sometimes almost 2 weeks to get a response, which barely answers your question, and when you try to clarify, you get to wait another week or 2.

DJF3

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2010
I have been using TouchBB for a couple of weeks now and I *LOVE* it!

It would be great if the MacRumors admins could install the plugin required.

vertigo235

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2009
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Doctor Q said:
If you don't have a forum-viewing app, another choice is to use Safari and the mobile version of the forum site - for sites that offer one. For MacRumors it's mobile.macrumors.com (news) and forums.macrumors.com/wap/index.php (forums).

Wow the mobile version of this site really inpresses! Thanks for pointing me to it. I didn't even know it was available!

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
Is there an app that makes it easier to view vBulletin software? Several of the forums I belong to use this software and it would be nice if there is an app for them.

There's a bunch, but many of them require the forum admin to install a pluggin.

Don't bother with Forum Runner - vBulletin. You can't add any new forums -- it only works with a built in list, and there's non on mac topics.

I'm currently trying out vBulletin Forums Pro.

It's not bad. Much easier to surf the forums than using Safari. You can check your private messages and create and reply to posts fairly well.

However, the app crashes often, usually from backing out of a thread to a higher level.

I'm still looking for a good forum app (don't really want to use the mobile version of the site).

Duffinator

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
130 miles NE of Cupertino
There's a bunch, but many of them require the forum admin to install a pluggin.

Don't bother with Forum Runner - vBulletin. You can't add any new forums -- it only works with a built in list, and there's non on mac topics.

I'm currently trying out vBulletin Forums Pro.

It's not bad. Much easier to surf the forums than using Safari. You can check your private messages and create and reply to posts fairly well.

However, the app crashes often, usually from backing out of a thread to a higher level.

I'm still looking for a good forum app (don't really want to use the mobile version of the site).
Thanks, I see the software was updated a few days after you posted the link. Have you tried the update and did it stop the crashing?

longdogs

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
Lichfield UK
As long as the forum has installed the plug-in, [app]Tapatalk Forum App[/app] is an excellent forum reader for vbulletin or phpbb forums. There's a free version here: [app]Tapatalk RO - Forum App[/app]

The devs are very responsive to feature requests and it's regularly updated too. Highly recommended.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.