PDA

View Full Version : DVD double layer question

cmx08
Jul 12, 2004, 03:17 AM
I am ready to get into DVD recorders for backups after a long way with CD-R.
I just got the chance to test an Retail HP DVD-420i with HP softwares on a PC and it took 10mins for a full DVD-R. Didn't try +R since Apple uses -R. The price was 100 US$ for a 8/4/12 and 24/10/32

But I don't know how good it will work on an ebay F400 external case with my iBook G4 800. I'm considering to get LaCie's DVD recorder to do backups and some avi files recording. I'm not a video editting pro or anything like that, just a dude with load of **** in the HD.

Are the Double Layer (DL) good for backup? I notice the DL drivers are cheaper than the regural ones, is there a reason?

What is CaptyDVD 2.0, it bundles with one of LaCie's DL drives.

Should I go for the CaptyDVD 2.0 and Toast Lite 6.0 and 5.2.2 bundle or
Toast 6 Titanium and Toast Lite 6.0 and 5.2.2 bundle?

at 240US for any of them, it looks for appealing than a DIY HP DVD420i (100US) in a F400 case (40US) and the retail Toast 6 Ti (80+20shipping = 100US)

I know I can get an illegal copy of Toast 6 Ti, but since every DVD record will be illegal, I thought that I must do at least something legal to start with ahahaha, no just jokes folks.

I'm trying to leave illegal behind, been doing it since my first mac, why? because it is worth it. Microsoft? it doesn't make me want to pay the 300$+ for their OS toooooooooooo ugly, besides why pay they XP is provided by the College. =)