PDA

View Full Version : OK - I have the memory but which door to open to get it in...

Stojamow
Jul 12, 2004, 05:14 AM
The title tells quite well the problem I have. I ordered more memory from crucial but now I have a problem. I see 2 options without removing the entire back of the computer. The model I have is Powerbook G4 1.25Ghz.

1) If I remove the battery I find a door

2) There is an other door under the computer (in the middle).

Which one is the one I need to open to uprgade my memory ?

I do ask this because the I need to purchase new tools if it is the option 2.

:confused:

Celeron
Jul 12, 2004, 08:10 AM
The title tells quite well the problem I have. I ordered more memory from crucial but now I have a problem. I see 2 options without removing the entire back of the computer. The model I have is Powerbook G4 1.25Ghz.

You need to remove #2, the little panel in the middle on the bottom of your laptop. Here's the Apple instructions:

For 12'' Powerbook (http://www.info.apple.com/usen/cip/pdf/pbg4/pbg4-12in-mem.pdf)
For 15'' Powerbook (http://www.info.apple.com/usen/cip/pdf/pbg4/pbg4_15fw800_mem.pdf)

G5orbust
Jul 12, 2004, 12:04 PM
Its the middle one that has 4 small screws in the corners of the hatch. Have fun with your PB.

Ajmbc
Jul 12, 2004, 01:41 PM
Do both of the ram cards have to be the same size? Do you have to have something like 2x512? Can you have 1 512 mb and 1 gb chip installed to give you 1512 mb?

ajmbc

Finiksa
Jul 12, 2004, 10:00 PM
Can you have 1 512 mb and 1 gb chip installed to give you 1512 mb?

Yes that'll work just fine, RAM only has to be paired in the G5 Power Macs.

virividox
Jul 13, 2004, 12:01 AM
when installing your ram just make sure it snaps in place nice and tight, if it doesnt this can cause kernel panicks

KingSleaze
Jul 13, 2004, 12:28 AM

1. This is the access to the airport (extreme) card.
2. This is the access to the memory modules.

Horrortaxi
Jul 13, 2004, 02:04 AM
Your PowerBook came with a manual, right? This is covered in it.

RTFM