PDA

View Full Version : FREE iPhone-2-iPhone Messaging - Ping! is Blackberry messenger for iPhone& iPod Touch

fungg3
Sep 25, 2009, 02:13 PM
It's been 4 months of waiting, but finally, Ping! (http://bit.ly/5kkUj) is now available on the App Store! Finally iPhone-to-iPhone messaging is possible, and this also works with the iPod Touch!

Ping! (http://bit.ly/5kkUj) (FREE for a limited time!) uses push notifications and a unique ID, similar to Blackberry Messenger, so messaging your friends can extend to ANY country for FREE (carriers are not involved)!
While there are plenty of SMS and IM alternatives that allow free messaging, Ping! offers significant advantages:

Why Ping! beats IM:

No need to log in/out. We know how much people hate getting bumped off when you log onto another device.
No need to accept friends. All you need is your friend's Ping! ID to start messaging immediately.
Offline messages guaranteed. Some IM apps do not support offline messages or only support it with specific software (e.g. MSN). All Ping! messages are stored offline until received.
VERY Affordable. We're offering this for FREE for a limited time.

Why Ping! beats SMS:

No monthly cost. Paying for data AND sms is not exactly good news.
No roaming charges. With some apps, sms is free but are either exclusive to the US or support few carriers.
Faster delivery. Messages are not limited by carrier traffic. Notifications are instant.
Works with iPod Touch. Ping! works with iPhones, iPod Touch and other devices that Apple may offer in the future.

We know there is an ongoing debate for bbm for iPhone. I personally find it extremely useful since a lot of my friends have iPhones or iPod Touches. Let us know what you think and check out Ping! for FREE for a limited time. Thanks and hope you like the app!

bmms8
Sep 25, 2009, 02:22 PM
this sounds great, but on my phone it shows that its 99 cents.

diesel
Sep 25, 2009, 02:30 PM
I assume you use push so the app doesn't have to be running for you to receive messages? if so, just a bit of advice, you might want to mention that explicitly.

sallythemac
Sep 25, 2009, 03:14 PM
this sounds great, but on my phone it shows that its 99 cents.

+1.

EDIT: It's appearing free on iTunes on my mac.

OneMike
Sep 25, 2009, 03:15 PM
seems cool. I thought this was an app to message blackberry devices by quickly reading title though.

diesel
Sep 25, 2009, 03:17 PM
seems cool. I thought this was an app to message blackberry devices by quickly reading title though.

now that would be cool if possible

fungg3
Sep 25, 2009, 03:40 PM
I assume you use push so the app doesn't have to be running for you to receive messages? if so, just a bit of advice, you might want to mention that explicitly.

You're right, it does use push. I'll add that in now. Thanks!

dhartung02
Sep 25, 2009, 03:49 PM
Just curious. How is this different and/or better than WhatsApp?

Just trying to figure out the distinguishing qualities in these two apps.

fungg3
Sep 25, 2009, 03:57 PM
Just curious. How is this different and/or better than WhatsApp?

Just trying to figure out the distinguishing qualities in these two apps.

Ping! works iPod Touches as well. WhatsApp does not. The user experience in Ping! is very similar to SMS (you can compare the screenshots). Ping! is straight forward and easy to use.

nfl46
Sep 25, 2009, 03:59 PM
I downloaded it. I'll check it out later. Thanks.

polobreaka
Sep 25, 2009, 04:17 PM
i dont understand this "Offline messages guaranteed. Some IM apps do not support offline messages or only support it with specific software (e.g. MSN). All Ping! messages are stored offline until received." if Ping! is always online.

i still dont see a benefit to this unless it comes from factory, all of my friends have AIM. beejive offers PUSH as well. i have a handful of iphone friends but it seems very redundant to have them go out of their way to DL this when i can just SMS them..or IM them because they also use AIM on their iphones.

MadMacxxx
Sep 25, 2009, 04:18 PM
No need to accept friends? Yet you need a "Ping ID?" You might as well consider that a friend request..... I/other party has to request this information at least once, just like they would for Facebook chat, AIM, MSN, Yahoo msger, or any other IM service.

knoxtown
Sep 25, 2009, 04:21 PM
i still dont see a benefit to this unless it comes from factory, all of my friends have AIM. beejive offers PUSH as well. i have a handful of iphone friends but it seems very redundant to have them go out of their way to DL this when i can just SMS them..or IM them because they also use AIM on their iphones.

Then obviously this app isn't for you.

To the OP, this app is great. :apple:

MadMacxxx
Sep 25, 2009, 04:24 PM
i dont understand this "Offline messages guaranteed. Some IM apps do not support offline messages or only support it with specific software (e.g. MSN). All Ping! messages are stored offline until received." if Ping! is always online.

Yea totally man, Beejive and SMS completes and satisfies my messaging needs.

But hey hey....I dont want to hi-jack this guy's thread! So, it looks like a great app you've created and hopefully it works well for those who get it, and the best of luck!

WorldIRC
Sep 25, 2009, 04:28 PM
Great concept! Let's see what happens!

Where's the off button!

madagi
Sep 25, 2009, 04:44 PM
Great app. A lot of people probably won't see the usefulness of this app but I personally think it's great and thank you for developing it. For my family, who have iPhones but don't use AIM and don't want to pay for a large messaging plan, this is perfect.

Only thing I've noticed so far... the Ping! icon in the upper left corner disappears when in landscape mode. So, you have to turn the phone to get back to the main "Ping!" screen with all of the different pings. I hope that makes sense.

Another thing, it'd be cool if (when you link a contact to your address book) the incoming Ping! says it's from the person as they're listed in your address book (rather than their Ping! ID). It does this when in the app, but the popup screen shows their Ping! ID. Not a big deal, just something to consider maybe.

Pika
Sep 25, 2009, 04:51 PM
Thanks for making it free.

fungg3
Sep 25, 2009, 05:27 PM
Where's the off button!

Check your notifications settings in the Settings app.

sinsin07
Sep 25, 2009, 09:39 PM
This app looks great!!! Thanks man.

Will all non pingers please leave the thread. Your AIM is calling you.:)

nyisles84
Sep 26, 2009, 12:12 AM
how do you set up your own picture on it?

jkb
Sep 26, 2009, 12:17 AM
Ping! works iPod Touches as well. WhatsApp does not.

congrats, nice app..

but to be fair, iPod touch can only receive a push notifications when connected to Wi-Fi:) don't you think you will be dealing with 100 email each day from iPod touch users saying that their push notifications don't work and giving you poor ranking? i get enough push notifications problems with iPhone users.

The user experience in Ping! is very similar to SMS (you can compare the screenshots). Ping! is straight forward and easy to use.

i feel that whatsapp is straight forward and easy to use, but i am just a little bit biased to say the least:)

nanohits
Sep 26, 2009, 12:21 AM
Ping! works iPod Touches as well. WhatsApp does not. The user experience in Ping! is very similar to SMS (you can compare the screenshots). Ping! is straight forward and easy to use.

Does this require verification codes when users install it first like Whatsapp? As those guys dont get back to users when the verification code does not arrive and the users are waiting for ages. I am gonna give this a try and see how well it works, if it does, its goodbye Whatsapp.

Yea totally man, Beejive and SMS completes and satisfies my messaging needs.

Ya but you dont understand, not everyone on the other end has MSN or IM's so if they have an iPhone and not at their computers then SMS is the only options. Its great for me cause my family uses iPhone but they dont use any IM on the computer. So its very useful if there is no IM

fungg3
Sep 26, 2009, 12:38 AM
how do you set up your own picture on it?

Your friends can press the Link to Address Book button, which links their contact photo of you.

Ping! is not an IM system where you set up your own picture. You can think of it as straight forward sms. That's why it uses your existing address book.

johnnyxhuynh
Sep 26, 2009, 01:23 AM
Seems like a pretty neat app. Thanks for the promotional offering as well.

M.a.r.k.
Sep 26, 2009, 02:01 AM
app is cool and works well, only problem i'm having is that some buttons and names contain "STRING ...." so i don't really see the users name but something "STRING ...."
I'm on 3.1 with an iphone 3gs, is that a know bug or anything i can do?

Thanks

u49aa2
Sep 26, 2009, 02:17 AM
Thanks man, i will try it later and report back.

nanohits
Sep 26, 2009, 02:22 AM
This is a great app. I like it better than thew Whatsapp application and doesn't require all this confirmation code crap that Whatsapp requires. I have deleted whatsapp now and using this and works very well.

Would like to see this connected with the contacts for those who have iphones so its easy to send rather than always entering the ping usernames.

Keep up the good work.

ctt1wbw
Sep 26, 2009, 05:23 AM
Confirmation code? What code? I've not seen that yet. I downloaded Ping yesterday and like it. It's the same thing as WhatsApp, but doesn't support Facebook yet.

Any chances on a future update supporting MMS style messages?

TraceyS/FL
Sep 26, 2009, 07:54 AM
congrats, nice app..

but to be fair, iPod touch can only receive a push notifications when connected to Wi-Fi:) don't you think you will be dealing with 100 email each day from iPod touch users saying that their push notifications don't work and giving you poor ranking? i get enough push notifications problems with iPhone users.

So you are more concerned about your "ranking" than about providing your app to more people.... that probably are smarter than you think and know it only works while on wifi? (this is a peeve of mine with a few other apps recently, so i'm not just picking on WhatsApp, but really, how to do you KNOW we don't have access to wifi? Or heck, maybe i want to, for kicks, know what the wait for Toy Story Mania is sitting in my house - would make me feel better about not being in the parks.....)

Thanks to Ping! for not discounting us dumb Touch users.....

kas23
Sep 26, 2009, 08:40 AM
This is a great app. I like it better than thew Whatsapp application and doesn't require all this confirmation code crap that Whatsapp requires. I have deleted whatsapp now and using this and works very well.

Would like to see this connected with the contacts for those who have iphones so its easy to send rather than always entering the ping usernames.

Keep up the good work.

What I don't like about WhatsApp is that if your WiFi is enabled and your phone is "sleeping" (screen not on), you cannot receive pushes. This essentially makes WhatsApp useless for me since I always have WiFi enabled (thus preventing me from receiving WhatsApp pushes).

Can someone confirm that you can receive pushes from Ping! while WiFi is enabled and screen is shut off?

anjinha
Sep 26, 2009, 08:47 AM
You guys realize that this whole "BBM for the iPhone" won't really work if everyone has a different app, right? I can see it know, in a few months there will probably be as many "BBM" apps as Twitter apps...

bozzykid
Sep 26, 2009, 08:51 AM
Can someone confirm that you can receive pushes from Ping! while WiFi is enabled and screen is shut off?

Are you talking about a iPod touch? Wifi is not connected all the time. So a touch can only receive push notifications when connected (this only occurs when the screen is active or a fetch is occurring). No app can get around that limitation.

Kahnyl
Sep 26, 2009, 08:53 AM
What I don't like about WhatsApp is that if your WiFi is enabled and your phone is "sleeping" (screen not on), you cannot receive pushes. This essentially makes WhatsApp useless for me since I always have WiFi enabled (thus preventing me from receiving WhatsApp pushes).

I haven't tried but I doubt it's any different. The sleeping wifi connection is an Apple decision.

MyJelleo
Sep 26, 2009, 11:01 AM
This is a great app. Is there a way to donate to help support it? This thing is fast and I don't have to worry about being online.

E3BK
Sep 26, 2009, 11:43 AM
You guys realize that this whole "BBM for the iPhone" won't really work if everyone has a different app, right? I can see it know, in a few months there will probably be as many "BBM" apps as Twitter apps...

+1
this needs to be a native iPhone app or AT&T should just make iPhone to iPhone messages free...neither will ever happen.

OriginalFormula
Sep 26, 2009, 12:49 PM
Very, very nice. I love BBM, and would love to try this out for free.

ValentineNicole
Sep 26, 2009, 01:11 PM
I'm loving Ping! It's really a great, quick application for iPhone to iPhone messaging. I figure, while its free I might as well just get the important people to download it ;)

It doesn't matter how many iPhone to iPhone messengers there are, honestly. It matters which your friends are using ;)

BTW, for those curious, I didn't recieve push notifications while I was sleeping (and my iPhone was sleeping ;) ). I *did* wake up to a banner number in the corner of the app, though :)

sinsin07
Sep 26, 2009, 01:36 PM

+1
this needs to be a native iPhone app or AT&T should just make iPhone to iPhone messages free...neither will ever happen.

Do you send SMS into the ether or to someone you know? Use SMS for any phone. Use BBM for your circle of iphone people, pick a BBM app that you all like or have the two the best installed on all phones. Don't people have more than one IM (if they don't want to pay for BeeJive)?

Yes it would be better to have it native. But we don't so those of us that are savvy and have savvy friends, especially in other countries, will take advantage of this. If you're not an international player, then this app may not appeal to you as much and you can stick to your local options.

kas23
Sep 26, 2009, 01:55 PM
BTW, for those curious, I didn't recieve push notifications while I was sleeping (and my iPhone was sleeping ;) ). I *did* wake up to a banner number in the corner of the app, though :)

Yes, this is the problem why I don't like with these sort of apps. Too bad Apple couldn't fix this issue (or someone developed a work-around).

anjinha
Sep 26, 2009, 02:01 PM

Do you send SMS into the ether or to someone you know? Use SMS for any phone. Use BBM for your circle of iphone people, pick a BBM app that you all like or have the two the best installed on all phones. Don't people have more than one IM (if they don't want to pay for BeeJive)?

The problem isn't having different apps, is having different networks. There are free IM apps that support different networks and usually most people within a certain region use the same network anyway. If I use MSN there are a lot of different apps to choose from and I can choose the best one for me and still contact all of my friends. But what if I have Ping! and someone else has Whatsapp?

And isn't the point of BBM that you can send a message to anyone, as long as you have their PIN number? If a lot of these apps start coming out it won't make a lot of sense, specially if they are paid.

And just to be clear, I'm not criticizing the app or the developer, I think they're great. But, with Twitter or IM, you can connect with anyone even if you're on different apps. But if a lot of these BBM apps start coming out, each with their own set of features and people start choosing accordingly, how is this going to work?

PBF
Sep 26, 2009, 02:02 PM
Congrats on the new app!

Q: I entered my ID as john. I would like to change it to John. How exactly do I do that?

TIA

anjinha
Sep 26, 2009, 03:02 PM
Question for the developer: are you planning to add the ability to send pictures in Ping! messages?

And just a side note: I'm trying to advertise this app as much as I can. The fact that it's free now helps that a lot of people get it and if enough people do it might become the standard "BBM for iPhone" before other similar apps appear (I like this one better than Whats App. The name is better too).

Richdmoore
Sep 26, 2009, 03:42 PM
Good basic messenger program, I would like a couple of features to be added however.

The window you enter your text message flickers as you type. Needs a bug fix.

A list of favorites who have contacted you with Ping. (Like a messenger friends list.) On the blackberry messenger, it saved the unique code to the address book, and you could find the pin that way. Under this program, the best you can do is try and remember their username once you clear the last conversation.)

I can see from the screen shots you can send the smily faces and such, but I can't figure out where the button is that will pop up a list of them so you can select one. (IM+ uses a button near the text entry bar, but I couldn't find anything like that in this program.)

An instruction manual. I went to the web site, and this program isn't even listed. This is not a knock on just this program, but it amazes me how many apps are published and do not either have an in-program instruction manual, or a web site to go to with an online/offline instruction manual. (Even pricy apps, like the $80 Navigon GPS does not include them.) Crazy in my view, as these apps get more and more complicated some kind of manual is needed.

Again, price "free" is right for this app, everyone might as well check it out, esp for people who own/have friends who own an iPod touch, but don't use other IM (or want to pay for IM+ or other programs.)

Good job overall.

anjinha
Sep 26, 2009, 03:47 PM
I can see from the screen shots you can send the smily faces and such, but I can't figure out where the button is that will pop up a list of them so you can select one. (IM+ uses a button near the text entry bar, but I couldn't find anything like that in this program.)

He's probably using Emoji.

A few bugs:

- When you go to settings if the app starts checking for server status everything gets stuck.
- I was in a conversation and my last message was hidden under the keyboard. I tried scrolling to see it but then it would just slide under the keyboard again.
- Sometimes when I'm out of the app and I get a message pushed, when I open the app the message appears twice.

and suggestions:

- The ability to click on the conversation to hide the keyboard.
- Some type of address book with everyone you added
- Although the app looks good it needs some fine tuning: the font on the messages could be better and it's not very well centered.

Richdmoore
Sep 26, 2009, 03:51 PM
He's probably using Emoji.

Is that another app? Or some kind of addon?

PBF
Sep 26, 2009, 04:00 PM
Those emoticons are not part of the app. They are called Emoji, Japanese emoticons that are part of your international keyboard. Search the App Store for 'emoji' and follow the app instructions on how to activate them in your iPhone settings.

PBF
Sep 26, 2009, 04:19 PM
One huge drawback of this app: the font of the messages is so small, that it renders Emoji totally useless. I can't even enjoy them properly.

I'm going back to WhatsApp just because of this.

sinsin07
Sep 26, 2009, 04:38 PM
The problem isn't having different apps, is having different networks. There are free IM apps that support different networks and usually most people within a certain region use the same network anyway. If I use MSN there are a lot of different apps to choose from and I can choose the best one for me and still contact all of my friends. But what if I have Ping! and someone else has Whatsapp?

And isn't the point of BBM that you can send a message to anyone, as long as you have their PIN number? If a lot of these apps start coming out it won't make a lot of sense, specially if they are paid.

And just to be clear, I'm not criticizing the app or the developer, I think they're great. But, with Twitter or IM, you can connect with anyone even if you're on different apps. But if a lot of these BBM apps start coming out, each with their own set of features and people start choosing accordingly, how is this going to work?

I get your point. However you just don't send to anyone. For instance have you ever sent me an SMS? No. Why? Because you don't know me. That is why I said to have the best two BBM apps and have your friends do the same. You can't send a message on BB with BBM to someone you don't know, you need their PIN. I am not sure about PING! but WhatApp allows you to send messages internationaly for free, can you do that with a IM app? I don't know the answer to that, I'm just asking.

E3BK
Sep 26, 2009, 06:02 PM

Yes it would be better to have it native. But we don't so those of us that are savvy and have savvy friends, especially in other countries, will take advantage of this. If you're not an international player, then this app may not appeal to you as much and you can stick to your local options.

??

I don't think your arguement makes much sense. The point of BBM is to be able to send messages to any BBM user. You know if someone has a BB, they have BBM. And what if you have friends who aren't Borgs and like different things? So now I have to have 2 or more apps? Ps..having an iPhone doesn't make you automatically savvy. And yes, I send to people I know...locally and internationally.

fungg3
Sep 26, 2009, 06:11 PM
Question for the developer: are you planning to add the ability to send pictures in Ping! messages?

And just a side note: I'm trying to advertise this app as much as I can. The fact that it's free now helps that a lot of people get it and if enough people do it might become the standard "BBM for iPhone" before other similar apps appear (I like this one better than Whats App. The name is better too).

First off, thanks for supporting the app! I will be focusing on the basics first, but happy to take feature requests. The idea is to keep this app simple and straight forward like SMS. I am not out to replicate another IM experience, which as I've mentioned as its downsides.

Feel free to send feedback and questions to support@pingmessaging.com

Thanks everyone!

anjinha
Sep 26, 2009, 06:15 PM
I get your point. However you just don't send to anyone. For instance have you ever sent me an SMS? No. Why? Because you don't know me. That is why I said to have the best two BBM apps and have your friends do the same. You can't send a message on BB with BBM to someone you don't know, you need their PIN. I am not sure about PING! but WhatApp allows you to send messages internationaly for free, can you do that with a IM app? I don't know the answer to that, I'm just asking.

Yes, you can send messages internationally with any IM app because all IM apps send messages through data.

And, if more apps like this start appearing, each with different features and prices, it might be hard to choose "the two best ones". Some of my friends might be willing to pay for apps, others might not. Some might prefer the app with a best UI, others might prefer the apps with the best features. Also, if I have two different apps, what if I'm "messaging" with two friends, each one on their own app? It would be downright confusing and annoying.

Again, I'm not criticizing the app, I love Ping!, and I'm recommending it to everyone. But if a lot of similar apps start appearing and people choose different ones it defeats the purpose of it. The purpose of something like this is that you can communicate for free with anyone who has an iPhone. That's what BBM is for the Blackberry.

My point is that I hope that there is one app, either released by apple or some developer, it could even be this one, that is the standard "BBM for iPhone" app. Otherwise I'll just stick to regular IM.

anjinha
Sep 26, 2009, 06:17 PM
First off, thanks for supporting the app! I will be focusing on the basics first, but happy to take feature requests. The idea is to keep this app simple and straight forward like SMS. I am not out to replicate another IM experience, which as I've mentioned as its downsides.

Thanks everyone!

So no pictures in Ping? :(

PBF
Sep 26, 2009, 06:35 PM
Email sent.

fungg3
Sep 26, 2009, 06:37 PM
Good basic messenger program, I would like a couple of features to be added however.

The window you enter your text message flickers as you type. Needs a bug fix.

A list of favorites who have contacted you with Ping. (Like a messenger friends list.) On the blackberry messenger, it saved the unique code to the address book, and you could find the pin that way. Under this program, the best you can do is try and remember their username once you clear the last conversation.)

An instruction manual. I went to the web site, and this program isn't even listed. This is not a knock on just this program, but it amazes me how many apps are published and do not either have an in-program instruction manual, or a web site to go to with an online/offline instruction manual. (Even pricy apps, like the $80 Navigon GPS does not include them.) Crazy in my view, as these apps get more and more complicated some kind of manual is needed.

Again, price "free" is right for this app, everyone might as well check it out, esp for people who own/have friends who own an iPod touch, but don't use other IM (or want to pay for IM+ or other programs.)

Good job overall.

Thanks for your feedback! A lot of comments here so I'll try to make it simple.

1) Smily faces you see on the screenshots are emojis. These are part of the Japanese keyboard and are built into every iphone. They just need to be unlocked in order to use them (btw my app Typing Genius does this). Once unlocked, it's just a matter of using the iphone keyboard to access them. No app buttons required.

2) Re: instructions, the app description should be able to help you. The process is simple. You can email support@pingmessaging.com if you need more info. I have not updated my website as yet, but will.

3) There are drawbacks to IM and I am not out to replicate that kind of user experience. Ping! has its own advantages, you can think of it as straight forward SMS, but free.

Thanks again and hope you continue to spread the word about Ping! Email support@pingmessaging.com if you have any questions.

fungg3
Sep 26, 2009, 06:40 PM
So no pictures in Ping? :(

Never say never, but that is not a priority right now.

anjinha
Sep 26, 2009, 06:55 PM
Never say never, but that is not a priority right now.

Well, you can send pictures in texts right now. If Ping! is straightforward SMS they should have it too.

Richdmoore
Sep 26, 2009, 07:15 PM
Thanks for your feedback! A lot of comments here so I'll try to make it simple.

3) There are drawbacks to IM and I am not out to replicate that kind of user experience. Ping! has its own advantages, you can think of it as straight forward SMS, but free.

Thanks again and hope you continue to spread the word about Ping! Email support@pingmessaging.com if you have any questions.

I'll try to be cleared with my request. My dad is now on the service. if I clear the previous messages, I have no way to contact him unless I happen to remember whatever his unique identifier was. If I forget what his codeword is, I cannot contact him.

I would like an option (once I link him with his contact on my phone) to be able to contact him again, using either a Ping internal contact list, or the contact list already on the iPhone.

anjinha
Sep 26, 2009, 07:20 PM
I'll try to be cleared with my request. My dad is now on the service. if I clear the previous messages, I have no way to contact him unless I happen to remember whatever his unique identifier was. If I forget what his codeword is, I cannot contact him.

I would like an option (once I link him with his contact on my phone) to be able to contact him again, using either a Ping internal contact list, or the contact list already on the iPhone.

I agree. The app gets kind of useless if we have to remember every one of our friends unique identifiers.

PBF
Sep 26, 2009, 07:24 PM
Dear developer,

I've sent you an email. I would like to hear back from you too. :)

sinsin07
Sep 26, 2009, 08:13 PM

If all you are interested in is contacting friends, then yes, this app may be of no use to you. However, at least with Whatsapp, there are additional features that I am interested in.

In way yes, as long as it is another BB user. And it is faster.

I don't use Twitter or IM, do they have message receipts? Can you see if someone is typing a message to you? In business this is important. If I'm at work and I have a server down and I send a message to the server team, I want to know if someone is on the other end. For example when I send a message on my BB with IBM's Sametime, I know someone is there because it shows me when they start typing a response.
I don't know if Ping! has this, or will, but the other one does. If this does not happen on Twitter or IM, it is one reason why I would use it over the other apps.
In the non business, I would sitll like to know if someone has read my message or if they are typing a response.

I don't see having a big issue with getting my friends on one or two of the best BBM like apps. The battle will settle itself out and their will be clear leaders. Just like the iPhone is the clear leader.

anjinha
Sep 26, 2009, 08:24 PM
I don't use Twitter or IM, do they have message receipts? Can you see if someone is typing a message to you? In business this is important. If I'm at work and I have a server down and I send a message to the server team, I want to know if someone is on the other end. For example when I send a message on my BB with IBM's Sametime, I know someone is there because it shows me when they start typing a response.
I don't know if Ping! has this, or will, but the other one does. If this does not happen on Twitter or IM, it is one reason why I would use it over the other apps.
In the non business, I would sitll like to know if someone has read my message or if they are typing a response.

I don't see having a big issue with getting my friends on one or two of the best BBM like apps. The battle will settle itself out and their will be clear leaders. Just like the iPhone is the clear leader.

People seem to be misunderstanding me. I'm not against these apps. I'm just saying that if we start seeing a lot of "BBM for iPhone" type apps it defeats the point of it because everyone will have a different one. I just hope, like you said, that there is a "clear leader" and one of them becomes a standard one. That's the only thing I'm saying.

And why are you arguing for WhatsApp features in the Ping! thread?

sinsin07
Sep 26, 2009, 08:54 PM
People seem to be misunderstanding me. I'm not against these apps. I'm just saying that if we start seeing a lot of "BBM for iPhone" type apps it defeats the point of it because everyone will have a different one. I just hope, like you said, that there is a "clear leader" and one of them becomes a standard one. That's the only thing I'm saying.

No that would be incorrect. I am hoping they both have the same features. I am not arguing. I just see to many naysayers who don't know what BBM is all about and therefore start comparing IM to a iPhone BBM like app, which it's not. People who use BBM get the purpose of why someone would want to see it on an iPhone.

PBF
Sep 26, 2009, 09:08 PM
I'm gonna repeat myself until the following is fixed:

1. There doesn't seem to be a way to change one's ID. I registered as john but would rather like it as John.

2. Text field for typing messages looks absolutely horrendous and fugly. Look at the native Messages app and try to replicate it.

3. Major one: the message font is so small that it renders Emoji totally useless. They are pretty much invisible and indistinguishable. In this regard, WhatsApp wins hands down.

madagi
Sep 26, 2009, 09:46 PM
and suggestions:

- The ability to click on the conversation to hide the keyboard.

You can already do this. Although, I've noticed it's pretty finicky in landscape mode. I sometimes have to tap it 3 or 4 times before I get it to work.

PBF
Sep 26, 2009, 10:42 PM
You can already do this. Although, I've noticed it's pretty finicky in landscape mode. I sometimes have to tap it 3 or 4 times before I get it to work.
Unlike WhatsApp, one has to tap a text bubble, not just anywhere in the chat window. Otherwise, it doesn't work.

E3BK
Sep 27, 2009, 01:12 AM
Anyone else noticing serious battery drain?

PBF
Sep 27, 2009, 01:18 AM
Anyone else noticing serious battery drain?
Not yet.

PBF
Sep 27, 2009, 01:21 AM
Is anybody else's Ping! icon not showing up under the Notifications settings? :confused:

http://homepage.mac.com/mac/2.jpg

WorldIRC
Sep 27, 2009, 01:41 AM
Is anybody else's Ping! icon not showing up under the Notifications settings? :confused:

http://homepage.mac.com/mac/2.jpg

Yup

Merlinwiz
Sep 27, 2009, 01:41 AM
Great app and have already told loads of friends about it. 2 suggestions that need working on ASAP! First you need to make a far bigger deal of the fact it pushes messages to you as it's not mentioned anywhere in the description and is very very important. Second is that when in landscape mode you can't see what your typing which is really annoying. :D

nanohits
Sep 27, 2009, 03:12 AM

Yeah I totally agree. There needs ot be where once you send a message that contact is added for good anywhere so we can send again in case those old chats are cleared and no one is going to keep remembering ID's/ Its far too cumbersome.

This has to be a quick fix to be honest.

PBF
Sep 27, 2009, 04:58 AM
Gary,

please, make the landscape mode OPTIONAL!! I hate it in every other app with a great passion. Ugh!!

copperlab
Sep 27, 2009, 06:41 AM
A very important feature of BBM that I haven't seen mentioned is the fact that you can invite a group of people to a message session. A conference call of sorts. Does ping do that?

sinsin07
Sep 27, 2009, 07:32 AM
A very important feature of BBM that I haven't seen mentioned is the fact that you can invite a group of people to a message session. A conference call of sorts. Does ping do that?

Good question.

kas23
Sep 27, 2009, 07:37 AM

I agree with you. But, the only way I see this happening is if Apple makes it a native App on the iPhone. And I don't see this happening as long as there is an exclusivity agreement with at&t. At&t wouldn't allow this (and yes, we all know they have a say in what apps are approved, regardless what they say).

OutSpoken
Sep 27, 2009, 08:56 AM

If that was the case I would consider getting an iPhone.

E3BK
Sep 27, 2009, 01:03 PM
If that was the case I would consider getting an iPhone.

Whatsapp is supposed to be releasing a BB app soon I think. I'm dying for that! I'll finally have my BBM buddies back :)

nard
Sep 27, 2009, 09:48 PM
First I want to give the dev credit on the hardwork creating an app like this. and allow it to be free for now, because running servers to support it isnt cheap either.

but i just find it very interesting that this is the 2nd of these BBM like applications to come out in september, but i guess ideas do come at the same time. and it is a coincidence that I have been working on an application like this for about a month now, so hopefully it will be done soon.

and first, having all these applications performing the same goal of BBM like messenger, should be fine, the markets will decide what they want to use based on functionality and features, and in the end a clear leader will be chosen. it also encourages the developers to produce better quality applications, so whether it be Whatsapp, or Ping!, or even mine when i finish it, i feel it would benefit the end users to have a choice on what they use instead of being forced to use one because it's the be all end all. especially if the developers feel they have something unique to offer.

but ya, it has definitely taught me a lot working on a project like this, and hopefully it will be worth it.

good job guys, keep up the good work, and keep creating better user experiences for people :)

wowipod
Sep 27, 2009, 10:09 PM
OK so its basically WhatsApp, just you think the UI is better and easier to use. Fair enough but I think I'll stick to WhatsApp as the 5 people I know with iPhones have already got WhatsApp.

I've tried it is a nice app and stays close to the SMS feel (thats my only problem with WhatsApp, Id' like the UI to be more like the SMS UI), but I don't think you should go charging money for it when there are apps like WhatsApp that are free. You don't offer that much more.

Again its not because I don't like your app, its because there was an App there before and I am not going to ask my friends to get another app when the one we have works perfectly fine.

PBF
Sep 27, 2009, 11:14 PM
I've tried it is a nice app and stays close to the SMS feel (thats my only problem with WhatsApp, Id' like the UI to be more like the SMS UI), but I don't think you should go charging money for it when there are apps like WhatsApp that are free. You don't offer that much more.
Dude, your logic makes zero sense. If Ping! developers are able to offer a more enjoyable user interface and experience, why not charge for the app? Just because there are hundreds of free sudoku apps out there doesn't mean Electronic Arts may not charge for their beautiful sudoku app. :rolleyes:

PBF
Sep 27, 2009, 11:25 PM
and first, having all these applications performing the same goal of BBM like messenger, should be fine, the markets will decide what they want to use based on functionality and features, and in the end a clear leader will be chosen.
I've always said that a clear leader will be the app whose UI mirrors the UI of the native Messages app. That simple. Now, features and functionality are up to developers. :cool:

phatspider
Sep 28, 2009, 04:58 AM
I dont mind the landscape mode but think it should be limited to +/- 90 degrees, not 180 as it currently is

There's no need for it to work upside down

anjinha
Sep 28, 2009, 05:48 AM
and first, having all these applications performing the same goal of BBM like messenger, should be fine, the markets will decide what they want to use based on functionality and features, and in the end a clear leader will be chosen. it also encourages the developers to produce better quality applications, so whether it be Whatsapp, or Ping!, or even mine when i finish it, i feel it would benefit the end users to have a choice on what they use instead of being forced to use one because it's the be all end all. especially if the developers feel they have something unique to offer.

I agree that choice is good. The thing is, the purpose of an app like that is for iPhone users to communicate for free with other iPhone users. That doesn't work if iPhone users are split between several apps.

WhatsApp is charging now.

http://idisk.me.com/stfontes/Public/Pictures/iTunes-20090928-114910.jpg

Again its not because I don't like your app, its because there was an App there before and I am not going to ask my friends to get another app when the one we have works perfectly fine.

And this is exactly why I think too many apps like this coming out is not a good thing.

ViViDboarder
Sep 28, 2009, 08:17 AM
I like the look of this better than WhatsApp actually. The chat is more of an afterthought than it is the focus.

There are just a few things needed to be a true BBM replacement (It's not in WA either)

Message Receipts. So we know when it's delivered and read from our end.
Group Messaging.
Ability to send Pictures.

And I'd say in that order. In the meantime I'm just playing around with all these apps until I find one to tell my friends to get.

anjinha
Sep 28, 2009, 08:51 AM
I agree with you. But, the only way I see this happening is if Apple makes it a native App on the iPhone. And I don't see this happening as long as there is an exclusivity agreement with at&t. At&t wouldn't allow this (and yes, we all know they have a say in what apps are approved, regardless what they say).

iChat would be sooooo cool.

ViViDboarder
Sep 28, 2009, 09:14 AM
iChat would be sooooo cool.

Agreed. I think it's too late for Apple to release that. It'd be a really bad move too. They've already had AIM and Beejive and such released in the App Store that people paid for. I think it'd kind of upset some people :p. Also, they'd be releasing an App with "Duplicate Functionality"!!! :cool: ;)

anjinha
Sep 28, 2009, 09:28 AM
Agreed. I think it's too late for Apple to release that. It'd be a really bad move too. They've already had AIM and Beejive and such released in the App Store that people paid for. I think it'd kind of upset some people :p. Also, they'd be releasing an App with "Duplicate Functionality"!!! :cool: ;)

Well, Apple has released apps and functionality that made apps already available obsolete or directly compete with apps in the app store. If they don't do it I don't think that's the reason.

ViViDboarder
Sep 28, 2009, 09:37 AM
Well, Apple has released apps and functionality that made apps already available obsolete or directly compete with apps in the app store. If they don't do it I don't think that's the reason.

Agreed. I don't think it's a big enough reason for them to not release it. I feel like they wouldn't do it anyway unless it offered something more than what the current apps do though.

For example, if iChat had video/images embedded in or something. Then I think they'd release it.

kicko
Sep 28, 2009, 10:43 AM
I think this is a pretty cool app but i think it needs a new icon.

I think an icon similar to the native phone app or so with the slanted detailed lines, but with a gray color and a simple white message bubble with a "!" in the middle.

QCassidy352
Sep 28, 2009, 12:15 PM
This looks like a very nicely designed app, and making it free is cool. But...

bbm is a fundamentally flawed concept insofar as it limits your communications to those with bb. Not only does that sharply curtail its functionality, it smacks of obnoxious elitism. bbm is a product of a bygone era and a concept that makes about as much sense as if adium only worked between macs.

This is one step worse. At least with bbm, everyone who has a bb has it. With this app, your communications are not only limited to the tiny fraction of the population that has a particular phone, they're limited to to the tiny fraction of that tiny fraction that installs not only *some* "iphone messenger" client but this particular iphone messenger client.

Maybe I could see a use for this if a) my friends weren't on IM, AND b) they didn't have email on their phones, AND c) I wanted to text more than my SMS plan allowed, AND d) the people I wanted to communicate with had iphones.

Even putting aside a) and c), b) and d) are mutually exclusive. So can someone explain the point of this?

ViViDboarder
Sep 28, 2009, 12:20 PM
This looks like a very nicely designed app, and making it free is cool. But...

bbm is a fundamentally flawed concept insofar as it limits your communications to those with bb. Not only does that sharply curtail its functionality, it smacks of obnoxious elitism. bbm is a product of a bygone era and a concept that makes about as much sense as if adium only worked between macs.

This is one step worse. At least with bbm, everyone who has a bb has it. With this app, your communications are not only limited to the tiny fraction of the population that has a particular phone, they're limited to to the tiny fraction of that tiny fraction that installs not only *some* "iphone messenger" client but this particular iphone messenger client.

Maybe I could see a use for this if a) my friends weren't on IM, AND b) they didn't have email on their phones, AND c) I wanted to text more than my SMS plan allowed, AND d) the people I wanted to communicate with had iphones.

Even putting aside a) and c), b) and d) are mutually exclusive. So can someone explain the point of this?

I've thought the same things... You really need to have some functionality that's unique. Like message receipts. Otherwise there's no difference. Exclisivity to iPhones is tollerable but not an added bonus. Most of my friends have Blackberries actually. If you had message receipts and then had an interface with BB as well, it'd be great.

yalag
Sep 28, 2009, 12:34 PM
I find a lot of the users complains/suggestions a bit ridiculous honestly. Saying it doesn't do this, doesn't do that. There's no point unless you have X features. Why don't everyone just stop for a second and realize that the app is FREE. So until they start charging, it would be retarded to judge whether something is "worthy" of costing you nothing.

ViViDboarder
Sep 28, 2009, 12:55 PM
I find a lot of the users complains/suggestions a bit ridiculous honestly. Saying it doesn't do this, doesn't do that. There's no point unless you have X features. Why don't everyone just stop for a second and realize that the app is FREE. So until they start charging, it would be retarded to judge whether something is "worthy" of costing you nothing.

It's also "ridiculous" to judge someone for not wanting to use a free app unless it has certain features.

We assume the developer wants people to use their app. If you read the thread you'll see the developer doesn't have a problem with feature requests. Anything that will help make the app more popular is better for the developer.

There is nothing wrong with pointing out flaws in an app in a manner that it's constructive. What's really not useful to the development of future versions is someone saying "OMG this app is perfect!!! I love that it's free!!!one1"

yalag
Sep 28, 2009, 01:02 PM
It's also "ridiculous" to judge someone for not wanting to use a free app unless it has certain features.

We assume the developer wants people to use their app. If you read the thread you'll see the developer doesn't have a problem with feature requests. Anything that will help make the app more popular is better for the developer.

There is nothing wrong with pointing out flaws in an app in a manner that it's constructive. What's really not useful to the development of future versions is someone saying "OMG this app is perfect!!! I love that it's free!!!one1"

It's one thing to suggest features, another to whine like an ungrateful kid for something that you have not paid or contributed. Not targeting you in specific, but just the tone of this thread is getting a little out of hand imo

ViViDboarder
Sep 28, 2009, 01:06 PM
It's one thing to suggest features, another to whine like an ungrateful kid for something that you have not paid or contributed. Not targeting you in specific, but just the tone of this thread is getting a little out of hand imo

Well you're entitled to your opinion. :D I do agree with you to a point, I think this discussion is blissful compared to some I've seen, haha.

QCassidy352
Sep 28, 2009, 01:08 PM

When someone starts an open thread about their own app, they invite compliments, criticism, suggestions, and discussion about that app. IMO.

COBRASVT
Sep 28, 2009, 01:35 PM
Slick app...works well. Not sure if I'll use it instead of txting since the BBmessengers biggest claim to fame was secure messaging btw devices, but this is a kewl app to have.

Very nicely designed, etc.

Would be nice to have a "ping" button that actually just alerted the other party that they were being pinged....w/out having to type it in, etc. Like the BBMs do.

kicko
Sep 28, 2009, 01:44 PM
What would really make this app nice would be the ability to send pics. Make it like a total iphone messaging app.

sneeks
Sep 28, 2009, 05:03 PM
Nice app but the message time stamp is 5 hours ahead of UK time, would be better if this can be configured within the app.

sinsin07
Sep 28, 2009, 05:58 PM
Nice App. We will soon have three to choose from. So far my money is on Ping! and WhatsApp, but who knows what the future will hold. The one with the best features, simplicity and speed should win out, that's what is good about competing apps. Those that are worried about to many apps like this, well all I can say is this is a free market, you can't stop it, all you can do is make your choice.

Keep up the good work though.

wowipod
Sep 28, 2009, 07:39 PM
Dude, your logic makes zero sense. If Ping! developers are able to offer a more enjoyable user interface and experience, why not charge for the app? Just because there are hundreds of free sudoku apps out there doesn't mean Electronic Arts may not charge for their beautiful sudoku app. :rolleyes:

So your saying I should cough up and pay for this app when there is an app that does exactly the same thing just its free. Hmm, to me that doesn't make sense. It only makes sense when you are talking about games. In this case as long as the app fulfills the purpose and is relatively simple to use (as WhatsApp is) then free is better.

WhatsApp are now charging so that kinda ruins the point but whatever. It makes sense to me and is just my opinion so you don't have to agree.

WhatsApp is charging now.

http://idisk.me.com/stfontes/Public/Pictures/iTunes-20090928-114910.jpg

And this is exactly why I think too many apps like this coming out is not a good thing.

Didn't realise they were charging now. Interesting.

Yeah too many of one kind of app is a bad thing and is kinda annoying. I bet the next person I meet with an iPhone will have some other iPhone to iPhone messenger. Grrrr...:rolleyes:

Drewsky87
Sep 28, 2009, 08:10 PM
Hey Gary, you made Giz.

http://m.gizmodo.com/site?sid=gizmodo&pid=JuicerHub&targetUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fgizmodo.com%2F5369678%2Fping-is-like-a-free-sms-client-for-iphone-and-ipod-touch-users%3Fop%3Dpost%26refId%3D5369678

mrzeve
Sep 29, 2009, 07:40 AM
In my opinion, you need the following to make it great:

Buddy List
Need to actually approve friends, like on BBM, I miss that feature. Privacy is important here.
Delivered/Read/Typing status exactly like it is on BBM (this is easily the most popular feature on BBM
Enhanced UI. It looks to much like a "toy" right now. It needs to be slick and simple, very much similar to BBM.
When you get a push notification outside of the app, and then open the app it will vibrate again for those notifications. This happens with BeeJive too, but its very annoying.
The app crashed on me several times. Memory leaks? Idk how to duplicate, but it was simply while typing a short message
The box to enter your message is weird, and the colors for messages are a bit hard to read.

Good work so far, definitely a lot of room for growth.

johnnyxhuynh
Sep 29, 2009, 07:41 AM
I am getting duplicated incoming messages rather often. Anyone else have this issue?

anjinha
Sep 29, 2009, 07:46 AM
Nice App. We will soon have three to choose from. So far my money is on Ping! and WhatsApp, but who knows what the future will hold. The one with the best features, simplicity and speed should win out, that's what is good about competing apps. Those that are worried about to many apps like this, well all I can say is this is a free market, you can't stop it, all you can do is make your choice.

Keep up the good work though.

It won't matter which app has the most features and which is the best app if all your friends have another one. That's my point. I don't mind if more apps come out, but if they do this will be nothing more than a very limited IM app.

Unspoken Demise
Sep 29, 2009, 07:46 AM
I downloaded it because it was free, then took it off my phone.

PBF
Sep 29, 2009, 08:18 AM
I am getting duplicated incoming messages rather often. Anyone else have this issue?
Yup, same here. Very annoying it is too. Also, because of my common ID, I can't stop getting messages from strangers. Ugh!!

bbplayer5
Sep 29, 2009, 01:18 PM
I love this app!

AbSoluTc
Sep 29, 2009, 04:35 PM
I am starting to get really confused as to the need for the programs. I have WhatsApp as well and its nice, but I still don't understand why they exist since everyone has an instant messaging client already - AIM, YAHOO, MSN, GOOGLE, etc. Couple that with everyone of them has an app for the iPhone and there is even Beejive (which I use). Why duplicate an already free service?

Again, nobody has explained this. :confused:

mikeschmeee
Sep 29, 2009, 04:48 PM
So I downloaded this app after a friend at work told me about it. I'm alittle confused on how this app works. What connection is the iPhone using in order to send these messages through Ping!?
I just don't believe it is 100% free. These messages have to show up on your phone bill. Either it uses up your data or if you are connected to a Wi-Fi network then it's free. Someone explain or post a link I can read it all?

Thanks
Mike

sexytechy
Sep 29, 2009, 05:12 PM
Ping! is awesome but does anyone know how to change the user ID????

navajarunner
Sep 29, 2009, 05:40 PM

+1

How is this done? Delete app?

anjinha
Sep 29, 2009, 05:48 PM
So I downloaded this app after a friend at work told me about it. I'm alittle confused on how this app works. What connection is the iPhone using in order to send these messages through Ping!?
I just don't believe it is 100% free. These messages have to show up on your phone bill. Either it uses up your data or if you are connected to a Wi-Fi network then it's free. Someone explain or post a link I can read it all?

Thanks
Mike

It uses data, like an IM app. It's a negligible amount of data though.

AbSoluTc
Sep 29, 2009, 06:10 PM

+1

How is this done? Delete app?

You all need to watch the video. Unless you sign up with a new ID, you can't change your current one. States that in the video.

sinsin07
Sep 29, 2009, 06:30 PM
It won't matter which app has the most features and which is the best app if all your friends have another one. That's my point. I don't mind if more apps come out, but if they do this will be nothing more than a very limited IM app.

If all my friends have another one I will just download that. I don't get it with you, you seem like your stuck on having just one and only one app. That's fine if this BBM software pans out that way. However if it doesn't and I have a set of friends with one and another set of friends with another I will just have both apps. It is not like it cost a whole lot of money. If this is too confusing for you, then just make sure your friends stick with one app. This won't be a problem for me. My friends are savvy enough to go with the one with the best features, even if we have to change apps.

Edit: I have 43 people on WhatsApp and 15 on Ping. Not a problem at all

anjinha
Sep 29, 2009, 06:39 PM
If all my friends have another one I will just download that. I don't get it with you, you seem like your stuck on having just one and only one app. That's fine if this BBM software pans out that way. However if it doesn't and I have a set of friends with one and another set of friends with another I will just have both apps. It is not like it cost a whole lot of money. If this is too confusing for you, then just make sure your friends stick with one app. This won't be a problem for me. My friends are savvy enough to go with the one with the best features, even if we have to change apps.

Edit: I have 43 people on WhatsApp and 15 on Ping. Not a problem at all

It won't be that easy when the developers start charging for these apps (and they will, both of them have stated that). And what if I'm chatting with someone on Ping! and WhatsApp at the same time? What if another one comes out and I'm chatting on the three of them at the same time? Sounds great, huh? :rolleyes:

Also, my friends have other friends, family, boy/girlfriends who they may like to chat with and they might use a different app then what I use so i can't ask them to stick with an app just because of me. I have different groups of friends from different kind of places that don't all know each other, they might all use different ones, and most of them aren't very tech savvy, so they'll probably stick with the first one they use.

It's just 2 apps now, but more are coming out. It defeats the point of this. The point being the ability to talk to ANY iPhone for free, which is what BBM is for the Blackberry. If I'm going to need several apps for several groups of friends, what does this have over regular IM? At least on Beejive I can talk with people from different networks in one app.

sinsin07
Sep 29, 2009, 06:49 PM
It won't be that easy when the developers start charging for these apps (and they will, both of them have stated that). And what if I'm chatting with someone on Ping! and WhatsApp at the same time? What if another one comes out and I'm chatting on the three of them at the same time? Sounds great, huh? :rolleyes:

Also, my friends have other friends, family, boy/girlfriends who they may like to chat with and they might use a different app then what I use so i can't ask them to stick with an app just because of me. I have different groups of friends from different kind of places that don't all know each other, they might all use different ones, and most of them aren't very tech savvy, so they'll probably stick with the first one they use.

It's just 2 apps now, but more are coming out. It defeats the point of this. The point being the ability to talk to ANY iPhone for free, which is what BBM is for the Blackberry. If I'm going to need several apps for several groups of friends, what does this have over regular IM? At least on Beejive I can talk with people from different networks in one app.

For me it is the features of one of them which I don't want to mention here, which no IM app has. This closely resembles the IM of Sametime. There is not going to be just one, for right now, so no amount of lamenting about how this is all going to get confusing will fix this. This is something former BB users have been wanting, and people will choose sides and will settle on what their crew is using. If you (not meaning you) find yourself on the outside, then it is a quick fix in the Appstore.

daihard
Sep 29, 2009, 10:15 PM
I love this app!

+1.

Works beautifully as far as I can tell. Since I only intend to use it with my wife, security isn't too much of an issue. :)

intrepid00
Sep 29, 2009, 10:28 PM
I really fail to see the point of these apps. It's bad enough you need 5 im accounts to talk to everyone, but do you really want 10 iphone to iphone messengers installed on your iphone as well for whatever one they bought.

anjinha
Sep 29, 2009, 10:59 PM
I really fail to see the point of these apps. It's bad enough you need 5 im accounts to talk to everyone, but do you really want 10 iphone to iphone messengers installed on your iphone as well for whatever one they bought.

If you use Beejive or IM+ you can talk to everyone in just one app. I agree about having several iPhone messengers though. I have Ping!, seems to be the most popular so far, I hope it sticks.

intrepid00
Sep 29, 2009, 11:09 PM
If you use Beejive or IM+ you can talk to everyone in just one app. I agree about having several iPhone messengers though. I have Ping!, seems to be the most popular so far, I hope it sticks.

Oh I have BeeJive, but I still need 5 IM accounts :p

anjinha
Sep 29, 2009, 11:20 PM
Oh I have BeeJive, but I still need 5 IM accounts :p

Seriously? Which others do you use?

intrepid00
Sep 30, 2009, 12:26 AM
Seriously? Which others do you use?

I think you're mixing up accounts with apps.

Gemberland2004
Sep 30, 2009, 12:22 PM
Mine won't work i'm on a hacked 3g

PearlJam
Sep 30, 2009, 02:46 PM
You all need to watch the video. Unless you sign up with a new ID, you can't change your current one. States that in the video.

Can you tell me where the video is please.

Cheers

inf
Sep 30, 2009, 02:55 PM
Nice App, thanks!

But the timestamps do not work. I just send a message and it sais its 15.30 and the right time would be 22.55 :)

Gemberland2004
Oct 1, 2009, 08:12 AM
Can I get some help or everybodys gonna ignore me cuz I'm new?

bbplayer5
Oct 1, 2009, 08:39 AM

Are your push notifications on? Are you on an unlocked phone or using AT&T?

ViViDboarder
Oct 1, 2009, 08:43 AM

Everyone was ignoring you because you were vague...

What part of it doesn't work? Does the app open? Can you send messages? What OS are you running 3.0, 3.0.1, 3.1? Can you receive messages? Do you just not get popups when the app isn't open? Can you even download the app?

How about you answer these before you go complaining about people ignoring your half a sentence post? Then we'll be able to help you.

NinjaKid
Oct 1, 2009, 10:39 AM
How can you call this a blackberry messenger when it dont message blackberry devices, This is ping the Iphone/Ipod messenger not a blackberry messenger.

ViViDboarder
Oct 1, 2009, 10:42 AM
How can you call this a blackberry messenger when it dont message blackberry devices, This is ping the Iphone/Ipod messenger not a blackberry messenger.

Yea... I can see how that's confusing. It's meant to be the same as BBM on the iPhone so exclusively iPhones rather than iPhone-BB.

AbSoluTc
Oct 1, 2009, 12:18 PM
Can you tell me where the video is please.

Cheers

http://thenextweb.com/2009/09/29/ping-instant-messenger-exclusively-iphone-users/

I tried this app for the first time last night. Not really impressed. Interface is clunky and there seems to be some major bugs. Like I sent a message to my brother and he did the same. Worked fine then after two messages, it got crazy. We sent a third message and it came in twice on each phone and double popup notifications and dings. Mine had the same issue but decided to notify me a third time, a minute after the double notifications. Then a badge appears to tell me there is a new message when there is not. Going in the app and exiting still leaves the badge.

It was promptly deleted. Again, I don't get why this is needed. There are a host of other applications out there that people already use and connect to. Aim, Yahoo, MSN, Google, etc. :confused:

ahhlun
Oct 2, 2009, 12:36 AM
I have a 2G iphone, unlocked + JB

the PUSH! seems to be really slow on my device, like I would get the message after a couple of hours...

also on my frds's 3G iphone LOCKED + not jail breaked,

it kept on saying "connecting" and wouldn't let her register.

I think the above problem are the reason why this app has a rating of 3/5

otherwise, it would get a 5/5 for sure......

we are both from Canada if that matters.... not running AT&T

ahhlun
Oct 2, 2009, 12:37 AM
the popup message also shows gibberish instead of the actual message

LacnyWebHosting
Oct 2, 2009, 08:28 AM
http://thenextweb.com/2009/09/29/ping-instant-messenger-exclusively-iphone-users/

I tried this app for the first time last night. Not really impressed. Interface is clunky and there seems to be some major bugs. Like I sent a message to my brother and he did the same. Worked fine then after two messages, it got crazy. We sent a third message and it came in twice on each phone and double popup notifications and dings. Mine had the same issue but decided to notify me a third time, a minute after the double notifications. Then a badge appears to tell me there is a new message when there is not. Going in the app and exiting still leaves the badge.

It was promptly deleted. Again, I don't get why this is needed. There are a host of other applications out there that people already use and connect to. Aim, Yahoo, MSN, Google, etc. :confused:
For me not working neither

Lacny Web Hosting
www.lacnywebhosting.com

johnnyxhuynh
Oct 2, 2009, 08:29 AM
Wonder if the 1.1 update will bring added stability...

Gemberland2004
Oct 2, 2009, 08:51 AM
Everyone was ignoring you because you were vague...

What part of it doesn't work? Does the app open? Can you send messages? What OS are you running 3.0, 3.0.1, 3.1? Can you receive messages? Do you just not get popups when the app isn't open? Can you even download the app?

How about you answer these before you go complaining about people ignoring your half a sentence post? Then we'll be able to help you.

The app opens but just says connecting
I'm on OS 3.0

That is all

COBRASVT
Oct 2, 2009, 09:33 AM
Jail broken 3GS...3.0.1 OS with 5.1 ipcc carrier file.

I have 4 friends added and it works perfectly so far. We only get 1 message. We get it almost instantly. (Tested this with two of the friends at the bar the other night). Badge is there until the message is checked. (like it should be).

Don't like that it vibrates when an alert comes in and vibrates again when I go into the app, but I can live with that.

Thank you...nice coding work esp for a free app.

How / why do you maintain the server w/out charging for the app? Just my own curiosity? (and thank you for doing so!)

fungg3
Oct 2, 2009, 11:43 AM
Thank you...nice coding work esp for a free app.

How / why do you maintain the server w/out charging for the app? Just my own curiosity? (and thank you for doing so!)

How? By paying out of my pocket every day. Just wish more people would appreciate this.

jpranata
Oct 2, 2009, 11:52 AM
So ping! didn't work on mine the whole day yesterday because i am on a 2G jailbroken iphone. Then I fixed it with downloading PushFix from cydia, and it worked just fine the whole night.

However, when I woke up this morning, the icon is a little bit dimmer and darker, as if it's not on. I can't get into the app anymore. Everytime I touch the icon, it will load for a couple of seconds and then kick me back to the home screen. BUT i still can receive messages. I just can't check it anymore.

I tried deleting then re installed it. It still have the same problem.

Can anyone help?

Thanks so much for the app, btw.

sidewinder
Oct 2, 2009, 12:03 PM
So ping! didn't work on mine the whole day yesterday because i am on a 2G jailbroken iphone. Then I fixed it with downloading PushFix from cydia, and it worked just fine the whole night.

However, when I woke up this morning, the icon is a little bit dimmer and darker, as if it's not on. I can't get into the app anymore. Everytime I touch the icon, it will load for a couple of seconds and then kick me back to the home screen. BUT i still can receive messages. I just can't check it anymore.

Can anyone help?

Shouldn't this particular problem have its own thread posted in the "iPhone Hacks" sub-forum?

S-

fungg3
Oct 2, 2009, 12:38 PM

Can anyone help?

Are you unlocked?

kicko
Oct 2, 2009, 12:40 PM
How? By paying out of my pocket every day. Just wish more people would appreciate this.

I think people do appreciate this, it's #1 for Free social apps in the US!

AbSoluTc
Oct 2, 2009, 01:01 PM

You sound like an add. It's not the #1 free social app. It's border line crappy to be honest.

redgaz26
Oct 2, 2009, 01:27 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

You sound like an add. It's not the #1 free social app. It's border line crappy to be honest.

Could you do any better???

ViViDboarder
Oct 2, 2009, 01:32 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

Irrelevant. It's just his opinion. You like it and he doesn't.

COBRASVT
Oct 2, 2009, 01:38 PM

Well..it is appreciated. You should open up a donations page w paypal or something.

BTW...I am getting double post now as well. Still lovin the product!!!!

AbSoluTc
Oct 2, 2009, 02:00 PM

Nope. The app needs a lot of work before it's even called "good". It has problems and the interface is clunky as referenced by my teeny bopper comment.

Beejive keeps me happy :)

stridemat
Oct 2, 2009, 02:02 PM
looks good, now where can I find some friends....

kicko
Oct 2, 2009, 02:07 PM

I was just saying to Gary that i think people are liking his efforts, nothing wrong with that. It is the top free Social downloaded app in itunes US store.

Is it not?

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/5981/freeapps.png

yoppie
Oct 2, 2009, 02:52 PM
I just downloaded the app and told my cousin to do the same. We've only shared a few messages but so far it's been pretty good. We haven't experienced any craziness but it's only been about 30 minutes of use.

ctt1wbw
Oct 3, 2009, 04:45 AM
Go landscape to see the craziness.

Gemberland2004
Oct 3, 2009, 07:57 AM
Hey excuse me one more time I have a 3g with 3.0 firmware and ping turns on but doesn't go past the connecting screen can I please have some help

ashwin911
Oct 3, 2009, 08:17 AM
cool app, too bad all my friends use a blackberry. :(

EarthDawn
Oct 3, 2009, 08:23 AM

cool app, good thing almost all my friends use the iPhone :D

normwood
Oct 4, 2009, 05:44 AM

Sounds like you need to find a higher class group of friends! :D

j/k

Steve

erasat
Oct 4, 2009, 04:31 PM
Just got an Ipod Touch 3rd gen for my wife, just to use this app between us, I went to the APPstore and now it's .99, not free anymore? Not complaining about the $1 just wondering why nobody has commented about this, as far as I remember, the developer mentioned that it was going to stay free, or am I wrong?

anjinha
Oct 4, 2009, 05:45 PM
Just got an Ipod Touch 3rd gen for my wife, just to use this app between us, I went to the APPstore and now it's .99, not free anymore? Not complaining about the $1 just wondering why nobody has commented about this, as far as I remember, the developer mentioned that it was going to stay free, or am I wrong?

No, the developer said the app was free for a limited time.

Actually Ping! is now the #1 PAID Social Networking app:

http://idisk.me.com/stfontes/Public/Pictures/iTunes-20091004-234636.jpg

COBRASVT
Oct 5, 2009, 09:35 AM
The app opens but just says connecting
I'm on OS 3.0

That is all

That's happening to my friend on 3.1. She hasn't been able to get it to work.

polobreaka
Oct 5, 2009, 10:49 AM

so your wife will probably have to stay at a wifi/hot spot area for her to receive your messages?

ViViDboarder
Oct 5, 2009, 12:32 PM

Read the thread title ;)

mix123
Oct 5, 2009, 12:44 PM
I've tried this app and yes it is pretty slick for iphone to iphone messaging however calling it Blackberry Messenger for Iphone and Ipod Touch is a little bit premature don't you think?

- No Group messaging
- Unable to send pics..etc..
- Is this secure?
- No read receipts

Arent all of these what makes Blackberry Messenger?

I personally think had all these features been available on release....this app would have gone from a meh app to something truly remarkable.

erasat
Oct 5, 2009, 03:03 PM
so your wife will probably have to stay at a wifi/hot spot area for her to receive your messages?

The idea is that while she is at a WiFi spot (all day long at work) we can stay connected, even more when I travel a lot.

erasat
Oct 5, 2009, 03:04 PM
Read the thread title ;)

:D I think I just missed that part, jeje.

charliehustle
Oct 5, 2009, 03:47 PM
looks good, now where can I find some friends....

I'm in the same boat..

sneeks
Oct 8, 2009, 04:10 AM
I wanted this to be good but it is very unreliable for me. It'll work great for a day or two and then suddenly I get no new messages at all despite several having been sent to me by friends who have also had similar experiences with the app. I've deleted it and returned to Yahoo Messenger which has not let me down yet.

needthephone
Oct 8, 2009, 05:22 AM
I wanted this to be good but it is very unreliable for me. It'll work great for a day or two and then suddenly I get no new messages at all despite several having been sent to me by friends who have also had similar experiences with the app. I've deleted it and returned to Yahoo Messenger which has not let me down yet.

DITTO
AS I type this

shakey apps, finds PING. select cross

Delete
Please rate "Ping" before deleting

Rate

GOODBYE

DELETED and goes the way of ipushit, beejive and whatsup

srl7741
Oct 8, 2009, 10:20 AM
I like the App and hope to see the duplicate messages fixed along with smaller bubbles and the new text field made smaller. They take up too much of the screen.

pbateman
Oct 8, 2009, 04:44 PM
has worked great for me...loving it so far

Almy
Oct 8, 2009, 06:01 PM
I'm not sure if we need yet another IM out and about. AIM, gtalk, yahoo, msn, icq, facebook, myspace, et cetera. Plus I like having them all in one program, like beejive.

Am I missing something? Just seems unnecessarily redundant.

AbSoluTc
Oct 8, 2009, 06:35 PM
I'm not sure if we need yet another IM out and about. AIM, gtalk, yahoo, msn, icq, facebook, myspace, et cetera. Plus I like having them all in one program, like beejive.

Am I missing something? Just seems unnecessarily redundant.

Yeah, same here. Seems people want read receipts and confirmations and such. Pointless imo. Everything these programs do now, beejive does along with every other IM app out there. It's bad enough there is AIM, Yahoo, MSN, ICQ, Google, Facebook and Skype. Not sure we need 3-8 more. Tired of signing up for stuff as it is.

How about ONE that does it ALL - BEEJIVE! :D

sidewinder
Oct 8, 2009, 06:58 PM
How about ONE that does it ALL - BEEJIVE! :D

Can Beejive send SMS text messages to any phone and receive responses back without having to pay SMS fees??

Didn't think so.....so Beejive does not do it all.
S-

outphase
Oct 8, 2009, 07:04 PM
Can Beejive send SMS text messages to any phone and receive responses back without having to pay SMS fees??

S-

Beejive has AIM as a supported protocol. AIM does allow SMS as you describe. Be careful on the quick assumptions.

anjinha
Oct 8, 2009, 07:12 PM

S-

Neither does Ping. Ping is just another IM protocol like MSN, AIM. And a pretty limited one at that. At least Beejive allows you to communicate with lots of different networks. What does Ping have over other IM apps?

sidewinder
Oct 8, 2009, 07:26 PM
Beejive has AIM as a supported protocol. AIM does allow SMS as you describe. Be careful on the quick assumptions.

But you can't get SMS messages back...at least not with the vast majority of carriers. You might want to read what peole write BEFORE you accuse them of making assumptions....

S-

sidewinder
Oct 8, 2009, 07:30 PM
Neither does Ping. Ping is just another IM protocol like MSN, AIM. And a pretty limited one at that. At least Beejive allows you to communicate with lots of different networks. What does Ping have over other IM apps?

That's why I don't like Ping!....I use "Unlimited SMS" because it does not have this limitation.

S-

outphase
Oct 8, 2009, 11:56 PM
But you can't get SMS messages back...at least not with the vast majority of carriers. You might want to read what peole write BEFORE you accuse them of making assumptions....

S-

Yes you can. I have carried on many SMS conversations over AIM.

I'm thinking you haven't even tried it while making these claims.

sidewinder
Oct 9, 2009, 12:11 AM
Yes you can. I have carried on many SMS conversations over AIM.

I'm thinking you haven't even tried it while making these claims.

So have I....but not all carriers are supported and some just stop working for a while and then start working again hours or even days later. You can't rely on it....

S-

ViViDboarder
Oct 9, 2009, 09:01 AM
That's why I don't like Ping!....I use "Unlimited SMS" because it does not have this limitation.

S-

TextPlus works on a lot of carriers and it's free and Unlimited.

"Unlimited SMS" has a major limitation for me... $20/month! :p

sidewinder
Oct 9, 2009, 11:50 AM
TextPlus works on a lot of carriers and it's free and Unlimited.

"Unlimited SMS" has a major limitation for me... $20/month! :p

I am talking about the app called Unlimited SMS.....

S-

AbSoluTc
Oct 9, 2009, 12:08 PM

S-

Just a stupid question, but if you don't like ping, why are you in this thread? Just curious. ;)

sidewinder
Oct 9, 2009, 01:01 PM
Just a stupid question, but if you don't like ping, why are you in this thread? Just curious. ;)

It's called discussing other options........

S-

ctt1wbw
Oct 9, 2009, 01:37 PM
Well, some people do not have unlimited sms. Although I'm not that fond of Ping, it still gets the job done.

Maskusee
Oct 10, 2009, 07:09 AM
How safe and private is the info that you send to others?

PBF
Oct 10, 2009, 09:52 AM
How safe and private is the info that you send to others?
As safe and private as the native Messages app.

Maskusee
Oct 10, 2009, 10:10 AM
As safe and private as the native Messages app.

Pardon my ignorance, but doesn't Ping use a server to push the text over to ones iphone?

I thought iphones native messenger worked differently.

PBF
Oct 10, 2009, 11:34 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but doesn't Ping use a server to push the text over to ones iphone?

I thought iphones native messenger worked differently.
Actually, you're right. Disregard my reply then.

At the end of the day, I would never send anything sensitive over the phone. ;)

srl7741
Oct 10, 2009, 04:41 PM
I like the App but would love to see the new text area bubble made a bit smaller. It seems a little out of place on the screen.

I've noticed I get a lot of duplicate messages also. I hope to see that resolved with any updates.

wfoster
Oct 10, 2009, 05:54 PM
This application is fantastic and I urge everyone who owns an iPod Touch and/or iPhone to purchase this application. With a few more bug fixes, this application will beat BBM.

Maskusee
Oct 11, 2009, 07:24 AM
Is there an option to block certain people from sending you text messages, like an ignore feature?

Can the user put a "Out of the office" respond, so that if anyone pings him, they will get an instant message back saying that the user is currently not available or is offline?

Is there a way to turn this application off?

Thank you

roblawton
Oct 11, 2009, 10:33 AM
Is there an option to block certain people from sending you text messages, like an ignore feature?

Can the user put a "Out of the office" respond, so that if anyone pings him, they will get an instant message back saying that the user is currently not available or is offline?

Is there a way to turn this application off?

Thank you

I just turn notifications off if I don't want to receive them... There's no other way to 'log-out' though.

everlast77
Oct 12, 2009, 07:41 AM
When will 1.1 be out ??

RLembke
Oct 12, 2009, 03:29 PM
The whole switch-to-landscape bug has killed this app for me. Make sure you don't lower the phone to talk to someone, look at something else, pick up a drink, etc. Clears the text you've been writing, forgets you were writing at all, can't see the last message. Have to exit out to all convos, go back into convo and start over.

No contacts list? I have to remember the Ping name of my friends in order to Ping them again? Yikes.

Also, many instances of multiples being delivered and some being lost completely.

Hope to see things get improved in the future.

PBF
Oct 13, 2009, 01:14 AM
Ping 1.01 is out! :cool:

everlast77
Oct 13, 2009, 02:14 AM
Ping 1.01 is out! :cool:

Just installed, no more double messages !

//E

ctt1wbw
Oct 13, 2009, 04:49 AM
Guys, apps like WhatsApp and Ping are not marketed to text to every cell phone. They are marketed to be a Blackberry Messenger type sms app but for the iPhone. Okay? Blackberry Messenger is designed to free sms text between Blackberry users, just like these two apps. Don't criticize these two apps because they can't text to everyone out there.

garethjs
Oct 13, 2009, 06:49 AM
1 important question no one has asked.

What happens if u upgrade your iPhone or replace it for whatever reason?

You obviously lose your username because the phone's UUID is different from the device your username was registered to?

Doesn't this bother anyone?

johnnyxhuynh
Oct 13, 2009, 06:53 AM
1 important question no one has asked.

What happens if u upgrade your iPhone or replace it for whatever reason?

You obviously lose your username because the phone's UUID is different from the device your username was registered to?

Doesn't this bother anyone?

Good point... I wonder if/how this ties in with the new "Unregister ID" feature in the latest update.

garethjs
Oct 13, 2009, 07:15 AM
No one really knows the version that was just released. iTunes shows 1.0.1 but the dev says 1.1.

Just to confirm unregister is there?

johnnyxhuynh
Oct 13, 2009, 07:17 AM
No one really knows the version that was just released. iTunes shows 1.0.1 but the dev says 1.1.

Just to confirm unregister is there?

I contacted Gary on Twitter this morning regarding this as well. He hasn't responded yet.

bbplayer5
Oct 13, 2009, 07:44 AM
Is there any way to save ping names like a buddy list :\ when I format my phone I have to restore from a backup or I lose all my pings names.

sidewinder
Oct 13, 2009, 10:24 AM
Guys, apps like WhatsApp and Ping are not marketed to text to every cell phone. They are marketed to be a Blackberry Messenger type sms app but for the iPhone. Okay? Blackberry Messenger is designed to free sms text between Blackberry users, just like these two apps. Don't criticize these two apps because they can't text to everyone out there.

I understand that the two apps, Ping! and WhatsApp, were not designed to text everyone. I know what they are designed to do. Yes, I would say it is a huge drawback that the Blackberry Messenger can't SMS to other phones except Blackberry phones.

However, Unlimited SMS is designed to do what they do PLUS text people on a lot of other phones and carriers for free too. Along with texting with my iPhone buddies for free that have the app, I can text Aunt May on Verizon and Uncle Carl on T-Mobile for free with Unlimited SMS. I can't do that with Ping! or WhatsApp.

Unlimited SMS has been faster and more reliable that either Ping! or WhatsApp.

The nicest thing is I don't have to get anyone to download any apps or do anything special.....

S-

johnnyxhuynh
Oct 13, 2009, 10:26 AM
Is there any way to save ping names like a buddy list :\ when I format my phone I have to restore from a backup or I lose all my pings names.

Not yet. This feature was recently part of a poll Gary posted on Facebook. Will probably be included in a future release.

fungg3
Oct 13, 2009, 10:32 AM
Hello all, version 1.01 is 1.1.
01 = 1 :) and yes it has the much wanted unregister function.

srl7741
Oct 13, 2009, 11:43 AM
Hello all, version 1.01 is 1.1.
01 = 1 :) and yes it has the much wanted unregister function.

What does the unregister function do? I see it but would like to know more about it.

kicko
Oct 13, 2009, 11:51 AM
What does the unregister function do? I see it but would like to know more about it.

press it... it will tell you all you need to know.

Compile 'em all
Oct 13, 2009, 12:06 PM
I understand that the two apps, Ping! and WhatsApp, were not designed to text everyone. I know what they are designed to do. Yes, I would say it is a huge drawback that the Blackberry Messenger can't SMS to other phones except Blackberry phones.

However, Unlimited SMS is designed to do what they do PLUS text people on a lot of other phones and carriers for free too. Along with texting with my iPhone buddies for free that have the app, I can text Aunt May on Verizon and Uncle Carl on T-Mobile for free with Unlimited SMS. I can't do that with Ping! or WhatsApp.

Unlimited SMS is useless outside the states. Where many people also live.

sidewinder
Oct 13, 2009, 12:31 PM
Unlimited SMS is useless outside the states. Where many people also live.

It is not any more "useless" than Ping! or WhatsApp for carriers it does not support. In other words, it works like Ping! and WhatsApp from iPhone to iPhone. So I can use Unlimited SMS to text a friend in Moscow if he has an iPhone and is running Unlimited SMS.

It does support many carriers in Canada, by the way.

S-

kicko
Oct 13, 2009, 12:40 PM
Carriers can always be added in updates, contact the developers and see what they can do.

everlast77
Oct 26, 2009, 06:47 AM
When will 1.2 be out ?

//E

Angelo921
Oct 26, 2009, 07:08 AM
Personally I think Textnow Unlimited for the $4.99 one time fee is way better than Ping. You can text everyone and anyone and they dont have to have the same software installed. What do you think?

http://findfiles.com/314716233/iphone-app-unlimited-sms-send-unlimited-texts-free-.html?&setsite=win

erasat
Oct 27, 2009, 04:53 PM
I needed to unregister because I sold my 3G and got a new 3GS, so everything went fine, I have my usual ID in my new phone, now, if by any chance (and it comes to my mind about 100 reasons on why to do it, but most important for me now is that I need to restore and reinstall my Apps) I need to unregister again, it ALWAYS says, Error: You must wait 24 hours before you can unregister your Ping! ID again. So what's up with this?, I've waited a week and the same, so the error simply mentions that but it's not really counting any hours or days at all.

Also and most annoying, is there a way to clear IDs history?, Right now, if I don't want that other people see whom I'm chatting with, I simply can't let them use my phone, because in Ping, if you type the first letter of a user ID, it will bring all IDs that you have chat with, and there is no way to clear that, or am I wrong?

Please Developer, if you are seeing this let me know about it.

Thanks.

lllll
Oct 27, 2009, 07:35 PM
Personally I think Textnow Unlimited for the $4.99 one time fee is way better than Ping. You can text everyone and anyone and they dont have to have the same software installed. What do you think?

http://findfiles.com/314716233/iphone-app-unlimited-sms-send-unlimited-texts-free-.html?&setsite=win

Agree. Textnow is the only thing that make sense. It just lack other cool graphical features, but who cares. It has free, unlimited text. :cool:

everlast77
Nov 1, 2009, 04:42 AM
Were is 1.2 ??

//Everlast

PBF
Nov 1, 2009, 06:09 PM
Here's a real way to get BBM on the iPhone. So you can communicate with all other BB users.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjuoswXon-Y
And here are six nightmarish and hideous steps in order to achieve the so-called "real way to BBM on the iPhone":

1. You will need an iPhone and a Blackberry with functioning Blackberry Messenger in order to do this.
2. Download LogMeIn Free for your Mac or PC.
3. Download LogMeIn Ignition for your iPhone ($29.99)
4. Follow LogMeIn Setup Instructions so that you can control and view your Mac or PC screen from your iPhone. Half the work is done.
5. Download Impatica ViaDock in order to control your Blackberry from your Mac or PC. 5-day trial is free, and registered version is $39.99.
6. Download Impatica...

No, thanks. :rolleyes:

hopuxri
Nov 1, 2009, 06:52 PM
Were is 1.2 ??

//Everlast

Good work !
Very cool, looking great so far. Keep going, I wanna see it finished!

erasat
Nov 5, 2009, 05:09 PM
Is the developer still around?, I have posted my problem here and also on facebook, I've been waiting for a week and still nothing.

Again, I need to unregister my ID for the second time since I have Ping! installed, when this new version arrived, I finally could unregistered and re-registered, BUT now I need to unregister before I change phones, but if you don't answer why it says FOREVER that I need to wait 24 hours more before I can unregister again, then I will need to delete this app and use another app or get a new ID.

everlast77
Nov 25, 2009, 12:53 AM
Ping 1.2 Is Out !!!

//e

stridemat
Nov 25, 2009, 02:29 AM
and a much needed upgrade, thanks fungg3

boxstboy
Nov 25, 2009, 07:35 AM
Version 1.2 is no better than the last version. It still screws up the display on switching between portrait and landscape. Surely it can't be that hard. Most apps do this okay. Waiting for next version...

fungg3
Nov 27, 2009, 09:44 AM
Thanksgiving & Black Friday Sale!!!

For US fans, hope you all had a good Thanksgiving! Even though Canada's Thanksgiving has passed, I'm definitely thankful for Ping! fans and Apple for finally approving 1.2.

For Black Friday, we are offering Ping! for FREE (down from $0.99). Tell your friends to grab Ping! (http://bit.ly/eKD52) don't miss this special offer!

If you have twitter you can click this (http://bit.ly/7oMvAC) to easily tell your friends about this promotion. :)

Pooshka
Nov 30, 2009, 11:34 PM
FYI:

Obviously, there's a limit as to how many characters per message get successfully delivered, and the limit is 190 characters. To solve the problem, the developer promises to implement a character counter. :)