PDA

View Full Version : Japanese push chip envelope

MacBytes
Jul 12, 2004, 09:40 AM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Japanese push chip envelope (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040712104001)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

yamabushi
Jul 12, 2004, 10:04 AM
Wow! So the Cell processor is supposed to based on the 65nm process? Cool. I hope Toshiba can do it without serious delays. :cool:

g4cubed
Jul 12, 2004, 10:51 AM
What's the current size?

yamabushi
Jul 12, 2004, 12:58 PM
Well, the Cell processor isn't used in anything yet but is supposed to be related to POWER technology. So I suppose you could compare it to PowerPC chips as well. IBM is still struggling to produce the PPC970(G5) processor on a 90nm process is mass quantities. The original G5 was on a 130nm process.

slipper
Jul 12, 2004, 01:15 PM
i never did understand the nanometer term until i read this article, cool

g4cubed
Jul 12, 2004, 04:56 PM
Well, the Cell processor isn't used in anything yet but is supposed to be related to POWER technology. So I suppose you could compare it to PowerPC chips as well. IBM is still struggling to produce the PPC970(G5) processor on a 90nm process is mass quantities. The original G5 was on a 130nm process.

I thought the two chips where entirely different. So do you think this will help us break the wall at the 90nm?

yamabushi
Jul 13, 2004, 03:41 PM
I thought the two chips where entirely different. So do you think this will help us break the wall at the 90nm?

Apparently they are somehow related. That doesn't mean Cell is a POWER or a PowerPC but they share some technology. IBM and Sony are tight-lipped on details so we don't really know much yet. Toshiba is doing the fabbing but the design was a joint effort.

Getting to 65nm is going to be a major challenge and I wish them the best of luck. There are numerous hurdles in their way to overcome. For example, new lithography technology may have to be used since IBM is still having problems at 90nm. Imagine how difficult it would be to read a book if every other word of text was shifted one inch to the right so words were on top of each other and you can get some idea of the problems they have had with circuit pathways lining up.