Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PcBgone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
I just got an apple tv. I had encoded my entire dvd collection using handbrake and the apple tv presets. I knew one day I would eventually get an Apple Tv. I got everything to sync, however some episodes of some of my shows play while others do not. They all work fine in Itunes. I get some kind of error stating the file is in an incorrect format, but they are all m4v's.

Any ideas?

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Dude, I'll play a video, stop it, try to play the same one again and get an error message. It's called the ATV operating system is crap. It's things like this that show what Apple means by, "it's a hobby." I have had very few problems playing infinitely more videos in iTunes, which Apple obviously spends a lot of time and money developing. An Apple TV should really just be a box that plays iTunes with a remote control instead of Front Row's redheaded stepchild.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I just got an apple tv. I had encoded my entire dvd collection using handbrake and the apple tv presets. I knew one day I would eventually get an Apple Tv. I got everything to sync, however some episodes of some of my shows play while others do not. They all work fine in Itunes. I get some kind of error stating the file is in an incorrect format, but they are all m4v's.

Any ideas?

First, restart your computer and apple tv. If they still do not play, it likely means you did something wrong during encoding. As others said, sometimes there are glitches where a file that is known to be compatible will be unrecognized, but a restart will always fix this issue.

If you use the Universal Setting in Handbrake, you will have no issues.

PcBgone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
I have rebooted the Apple Tv...and amazingly those files that wouldnt play last night play just fine today.

Is ATV really this buggy? Has it always been like this or was it just this way with the latest software update?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.