Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
Currently only using a screen protector and may even take that off.

Had the Contour Showcase, protective but a bit bulky and difficult to take the phone out to clean out lint.

Had the Mophie Juice Pack, liked the battery backup but heavy and slippery. It started to not take a charge and other quality control issues re the battery. So now I have no case since I can't find a good case. I am considering going for a nice looking leather case, which would give some protection and feel good in holding it.

But as is in its natural state the iPhone is quite light and nice to hold, so anybody here consciously decided it was best for them to go naked? If yes, what was your reasoning?

I read that some even forgo the screen protector. I may also do that. It's a hassle trying to put one on, and some say the 3GS glass screen feels better and easier to clean than with a screen protector. If you forgo the screen protector, what's your reasoning and have you been happy?

lollicup

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2009
Power support anti glare + bodyguardz rear shield

= no added thickness or weight = still protected from scratches.

The cost to replace the iPhone screen is $200. I think a $15 investment to protect it from scratches is worth it

Dizzler

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2009
No protection

Currently only using a screen protector and may even take that off...

But as is in its natural state the iPhone is quite light and nice to hold, so anybody here consciously decided it was best for them to go naked? If yes, what was your reasoning?

I read that some even forgo the screen protector. I may also do that. It's a hassle trying to put one on, and some say the 3GS glass screen feels better and easier to clean than with a screen protector. If you forgo the screen protector, what's your reasoning and have you been happy?

I am not using a case or screen protector. Who wants to cover up such a beautifully designed thing? When I put the iPhone in my purse, I just put it into a sock--yes, a real sock. It provides protection and it's cheap.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Having no case at all is not really a smart thing to do, if you dont want cases i would tell you to just get the slimmest case available. Check out the new MicroShell by Marware, it only protect the back of the phone..

christyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Salt Lake
have used cases, and they were always a waste of money since I always get annoyed with the bulk and end up taking it off.

Just using a powersupport crystal film :)

Sir S.A.B.

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2009
I was using a cast-mate one but noticed today that my case blocks signal, the moment I removed it my bar strenght jumped 1-2 bars. I think I'm done with cases

polobreaka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2009
Huntington Beach, CA
currently using wrapsol back and power support anti-glare screen protector. best feeling in my hands ;)

from time to time i would put on my incipio feather or moshi iglaze. even these cases wont add bulk.:apple:

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
I went through the "finding thr perfect iPhone case" phase. It's a gigantic waste of money and time since the iPhone is already resiliant enough to withstand everyday normal use.

I joined everyone with trying cases out with the OCD people on here, itsmemorphious' reviews, etc. Until I noticed itsmemorphious was getting too buddy-buddy with his suppliers (MyGearStore) and with his reviews in general. For example he would sway and always say SwitchEasy makes great cases like the CapsuleRebel. Frankly, I own a CapsuleRebel and I think it's garbage. I won't get into any details but it's a cheap flimsy POS.

Until I saw people freaking about their CASES being scratched, damaged, not perfect is when I said forget it.

I use my white iPhone 3GS naked. No screen protector, no case--nothing. I recently discovered cracks in the white plastic and Apple replaced it with a new one. Will i put it in a case? Nope and I will continue case-less.

Have any if you iPhone case users ever walk into an Apple store and play with a demo iPhone just because? Doesn't it look great and feel comfortable without cheap overpriced chinese plastic covering it?

The only exception I think when it comes to cases are leather sleeves or like just slim sleeves in general.

I guess I just got over that it's just an expensive phone and scratches are ok. :)

/end rant haha

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
But you had Apple replace your phone because of cracks. So scratches are ok but cracks are not?

Cracks are defects. Scratches are one's own fault. Plus, the bottom screw fell out because the crack kept opening and spreading so it was slowly falling apart

Justin.MTT

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2009
Seattle
I'm just using a screen protector. There are a few good cases out there though.. Incase slider isn't bad, but I heard it scratches up your phone if you take it off. Probably solve that with some painters tape before putting the slider on.

Anyway, iPhone just looks too good without a case :p.

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
I'm definitely rocking the PS Anti-Glare screen protector as well as the PS Air Jacket (matte black). I had it without either for the first day, then immediately bought the two. I couldn't stand the screen getting constantly smudged, also I just can't handle the cold fragile feel of the screen itself

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Once you drop it once and it hits just that slightly wrong way on a tile floor, like I did, you will not want it out of a case again. :eek:

Nope.

I ended up making a 1/2 inch crack on the back of my phone from dropping it and that's STILL better than having a case. No doubt about it.

I love my naked phone.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Nope.

I ended up making a 1/2 inch crack on the back of my phone from dropping it and that's STILL better than having a case. No doubt about it.

I love my naked phone.

next time it falls without a case and it fails to work, apple will not cover it. trust me.
Anyway ill tell u something, i also have the 1g iphone and from day 1 it was in a case and i kept it like new, after more then a year and without applecare my screen stopped working because of some drops of water.
went to apple and the manager approved to give me a new replacement because i have kept the phone in new condition.

Djlild7hina

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
i've been through the phase of trying to find the perfect case and i cannot find one. I've also tried the IS, BSE, and wrapsol but they dont like nice on the white iphone after a few days so i end up taking them off. i think i'm just going to go fully naked like i did my 3g because i liked the form factor the best.

Houls

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2008
Naked

I have also gone back to naked. I use a Sena Ultraslim pouch when it's in my pocket but I prefer the phone without a case. I gave up on screen protectors long ago. I have way too many cases laying around. I think I'll dump them on ebay.

jd8619

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2009
I have a black 3GS and I too went through the "case phase" but then realized it's only a phone and who cares if it gets scratched up as long as everything works fine I have no problems!

dauerhippo

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
I went through the "finding thr perfect iPhone case" phase. It's a gigantic waste of money and time since the iPhone is already resiliant enough to withstand everyday normal use.

I joined everyone with trying cases out with the OCD people on here, itsmemorphious' reviews, etc. Until I noticed itsmemorphious was getting too buddy-buddy with his suppliers (MyGearStore) and with his reviews in general. For example he would sway and always say SwitchEasy makes great cases like the CapsuleRebel. Frankly, I own a CapsuleRebel and I think it's garbage. I won't get into any details but it's a cheap flimsy POS.

Until I saw people freaking about their CASES being scratched, damaged, not perfect is when I said forget it.

I use my white iPhone 3GS naked. No screen protector, no case--nothing. I recently discovered cracks in the white plastic and Apple replaced it with a new one. Will i put it in a case? Nope and I will continue case-less.

Have any if you iPhone case users ever walk into an Apple store and play with a demo iPhone just because? Doesn't it look great and feel comfortable without cheap overpriced chinese plastic covering it?

The only exception I think when it comes to cases are leather sleeves or like just slim sleeves in general.

I guess I just got over that it's just an expensive phone and scratches are ok. :)

/end rant haha

I think itsmemorphious has been a pretty honest upstanding reviewer. I agree though, that the Switcheasy rebel is a big POS. I think the issue is that he only orders the whacky colored ones, whereas most of us prefer basic black or basic white. It's been discussed in the forums here a lot, but the black and white ones were made from a different inferior material than the colored ones. I don't nescessarily think that's his fault for not knowing that.

But in general, I think you bring up a really interesting issue, about what the relationship should be between manufacturers/suppliers and the reviewers who review their products. To me it's pretty obvious that 90% of reviewers on youtube are so thrilled to get free stuff and not piss off the companies who sent it, that they give everything a glowing review. E.g. check out reviews from this girl named "Pashyn" - her reviews are more like infomercials. Also supersonic90 and the buymeaniphone.com guys all give sorta fake reviews that don't really give you any useful information.

I think though, that itsmemorphious has always been much better about that stuff, but I completely agree with you that close relationships between reviewers and suppliers/manufacturers can be kinda problematic.

I'd be curious to know your thoughts on this in more detail.

youngplaya0228

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Texas
I usually just switch between the two. I went caseless for about 3 months and then went back because i wanted a new look. Gotten the Speck Candyshell and after a few weeks the back is already more scratched up then my iphone was during the whole 3 months without a case. Gonna go caseless and never look back.

However, I honestly don't know how anyone with a 3G can't use a screen protector, because it makes it SO much easier to keep the screen clean. Just wipe with your thumb and it's clean. Without it, it's just a huge smear and u gotta use a shirt/cleaner all the time.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
I think itsmemorphious has been a pretty honest upstanding reviewer. I agree though, that the Switcheasy rebel is a big POS. I think the issue is that he only orders the whacky colored ones, whereas most of us prefer basic black or basic white. It's been discussed in the forums here a lot, but the black and white ones were made from a different inferior material than the colored ones. I don't nescessarily think that's his fault for not knowing that.

But in general, I think you bring up a really interesting issue, about what the relationship should be between manufacturers/suppliers and the reviewers who review their products. To me it's pretty obvious that 90% of reviewers on youtube are so thrilled to get free stuff and not piss off the companies who sent it, that they give everything a glowing review. E.g. check out reviews from this girl named "Pashyn" - her reviews are more like infomercials. Also supersonic90 and the buymeaniphone.com guys all give sorta fake reviews that don't really give you any useful information.

I think though, that itsmemorphious has always been much better about that stuff, but I completely agree with you that close relationships between reviewers and suppliers/manufacturers can be kinda problematic.

I'd be curious to know your thoughts on this in more detail.

I agree with you 100%, i also get to review some stuff here and there but always give my own opinion. most companies appreciate you being honest..
The only "company" i know who only wants you to say good stuff about them is Rebalscholar..

3gbuff

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2009
I love cases!!! Ive got over 20 now and use them all. I like changing cases every 1-2 days. I get out my polishing microfiber and my bottle of Iklear and shine that baby of about 3 minutes. then i clean and polish the case and install. theres nothing like a nice clean Iphone and case.

The naked iphone is too small and slippery. Add a Incase slider to the mix and voila! perfect size to hold and adds protection to boot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.