Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adapa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
I'm giving my 2nd gen 8gb touch with 3.1 to my 10 year old for his birthday.
I want to kid proof it and set up parental controls. This seems to be limited to three areas; case protection, internet limiting (youtube, safari etc.), & itunes charges.

1)Any suggestions for the best case protection? I use a leather case but when he uses my touch he *always* takes it out of the case. He needs a wrap around that might give it some shock protection. I also have a hard acrylic case but it doesn't seem to have enough shock protection.
What about this?
http://www.switcheasy.com/products/R...ebelTouch.php#

2) I was thinking of using a combination of the settings parental controls & a app called mobicip for $5
http://www.mobicip.com/online_safety/ipod_touch

3) This one has me stumped, if I set up a gift card itunes(is this possible?) account on his computer(a 8 year old pc again a handme down) then he won't have any of the games I've already bought. Or will the new home Sharing feature allow me to share apps too?
Or I could sync it on my computer & not let him have my password for the itunes account. The advantage would be access to my tivo'ed converted for ipod shows.
I'd love to have him on his own itunes account tho. He needs to manage his own pod.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
You can authorize your account on his computer, and share the apps. I buy everything in my account, and move files over to the kids computer. you can also set up an allowance for him within iTunes, but he needs his own account for that. For now, we will be sticking with the "mom buys the stuff".

I plan on putting mine in an Otterbox when the kids get it (5, 10 & 13yo). That said, they have been doing fine with the DLO Gamer case i bought. It has grips on the ends and makes it a bit easier to hold onto.

IF mine get any internet access on it, it will be with Mobicip on there.

Mine have done well with it and enjoy a variety of educational games on it (and some pure entertainment), it's been great for them!

happy double digits to your son!

adapa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
Thanks for the insite!

I ordered the otter case. it seems like the best shock protection out there. I'm being over protective with it but he's been pestering us for *months* & savig up his hard earned $ for a touch, I'd hate for it to get broken.

I'll explore setting up itunes with my account on his computer. That's a good idea, thank you.

I may let him buy the mocipi app if he want's to get on the web.
B-day is on Sat.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Mine actually don't have access to an account at all. I have the machine authorized, but when they go to iTunes, it is not logged in. They just give me a list of things to buy :D (because, with a click happy 5yo.... well, i can't afford her obsession with Taylor Swift :p)

I really don't blame you on the being obsessed with keeping it in one piece. I'm paranoid about that myself!

I'm thinking my 13yo might be getting her own for Christmas... despite really needing a new laptop. We shall see....

adapa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
I have the machine authorized, but when they go to iTunes, it is not logged in. They just give me a list of things to buy :D (because, with a click happy 5yo.... well, i can't afford her obsession with Taylor Swift :p)
Agreed, while I don't think my son will intentionally spend a lot of money, he could get himself into trouble by not realizing the cost of app's or movies etc. We''re still at the point that mom & dad ok the stuff he buys, just so he's not disappointed & feels like he didn't get good value. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.