PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Powerbook M9677B/A have some questions.

Xexis
Sep 26, 2009, 10:28 PM
Okay so Craigslist is way~ overpriced and I only have $300 to spend that the wife will let me actually spend so I found a Powerbook but the specs don't mention Bluetooth so I really have no idea if it will have it or not, also I don't think the person will have MAC OS X 10.5.X Discs to go with it but they said it's installed, now I can't find Leopard discs online,anyone know if the Apple Retail stores still stock them? Or if I buy used can I do that like Windows with a product key or do I have to purchase a new product key? Also this is my first Mac and I'm very excited so I can use one but save for a better one eventually. We have four Windows computers a Laptop and three desktops and I've had to reinstall windows so many times on two of the desktops it's drving me nuts because of the driver issues for the Mobos, also it will be nice to use my iPhone 3GS with the powerbook.

Oh yes! forgot to mention does iLife auto update or will I have to purchase a new copy for leopard. ('09)

airplaneman
Sep 26, 2009, 11:03 PM
iLife does not auto update. I'm sure you can find Leopard on Amazon or something... it's strange that you can't:confused:.

gr8tfly
Sep 26, 2009, 11:32 PM
It has built-in Bluetooth and AirPort Extreme (802.11b/g).

You should be able to buy Leopard 10.5 - I found it at a couple of retailers (not many), but I think eBay would be a better deal. There's quite a selection there.

mrsir2009
Sep 27, 2009, 12:37 AM
If you live in New Zealand totallymac.com still sells them and ships them nationwide although they are based in Auckland. :D

Xexis
Sep 27, 2009, 12:58 AM
Thanks for letting me know about that stuff guys, I was also wondering what MS office is better for mac 03 or 07? But iWork can work also if you prefer reccomending that, I just need a periodically updated Word processing software, but I did like the templates that iWork has I'd like to tinker with that. :)

gr8tfly
Sep 27, 2009, 01:04 AM
Thanks for letting me know about that stuff guys, I was also wondering what MS office is better for mac 03 or 07? But iWork can work also if you prefer reccomending that, I just need a periodically updated Word processing software, but I did like the templates that iWork has I'd like to tinker with that. :)

For the Mac, it'd be Office 2004 or Office 2008. I'd recommend going with '08 for best OS-X compatibility.

If you're doing simple stuff, even TextEdit might be good enough. It can also read & write Word documents (as long as they're simple).

mrsir2009
Sep 27, 2009, 01:58 AM
Or look up "Bean" on google and download it. Its similar to textedit but I find it a bit more easy to use with a few more features and a toolbar :cool:

Xexis
Sep 27, 2009, 04:01 AM
Thanks for the "Bean" info it was helpful and could actually work better.

I did look on Ebay everything but a tiny bit are Snow Leopard. I just need Word Processing and one of the main reasons I want a Mac is because I've heard I rarely would have to do a HDD reformat. and besides if I have Leopard I'll have Time Capsule.(Which I will be buying with a router function!)