PDA

View Full Version : Ibook + Xtra Monitor = running slow

Aphexart
Sep 27, 2009, 09:26 AM
Hi,

I recently bought myself an Xtra monitor to hook up to my Ibook.
I also used the hack to be able to split up the monitors to have full resolution of my new monitor.

but now my computer is running slower.
somewhere in this forum I have found out that because of the hack my Ibook now has to work extra hard to be able to run on 2 monitors.

my question is, isn't there a way to be able to use my new monitor at full resolution and just shut of the original Ibook monitor? so my Ibook does not have to split up his memory?
If I mirror them I Can't work on full resolution ...

somebody doing this?

Or... What do I do/buy/download that my Ibook can work on 2 monitors, but doesn't run slower.

PAC88
Sep 27, 2009, 10:03 AM
I used to run my ibook (1.42ghz, 1.25gb ram) in extended desktop using the screen doctor or whatever and it never really slowed down my computer. I don't think you can turn the screen off on the ibook when hooked up to an external but maybe i'm wrong.. also.. I'm pretty sure the highest resolution that an ibook can output is like 1024x800 or something really low like that, no matter how you hook it up.

edit: the download I used was called "screen spanning doctor", which is probably what you're using now

Aphexart
Sep 27, 2009, 10:23 AM
during mirroring I tried every resolution setting there was, none of them realy did what I wanted.

so If you don't have this slowing down problem, why do I?

I have an Ibook, running on 10.4
1.33 ghz PP G4
1 GB DDR ram

I used Screen spanning doctor aswel

PAC88
Sep 27, 2009, 10:56 AM
I don't know how large your external monitor is but the one I used was a 15" Samsung which has a native resolution of 1024x768. So it was like a perfect match for use with my ibook in extended mode. The most graphic intensive program I used with it was Google Earth and it ran very smooth with no problem while editing documents at the same time.

My only guess is that it could be the size of the monitor you are trying to use, or maybe you just have too many things running at once. Whenever I used my external monitor, I always make sure I close programs that I'm not using. If you're trying to watch videos on youtube for example.. then I would close everything else because that probably will slow it down a lot.

Aphexart
Sep 28, 2009, 03:29 AM
mine is a widescreen 19" monitor, native resolution of 1440 x 900.

because I'm a graphic designer, I use allot of Photoshop and In design. so yeah, that uses some memory.

I was thinking I could maybe buy some extra ram (I still have 2 open slots) , could that help me with the slowing down thing? ... probably, right?

so how do I know If I'm buying the right ram, I'm not going to a mac store, way to expensive over there.
what Do I have to google to get the right kinda ram for my Ibook?
Is there something else I could buy (cheep) to update my little mac?

Thanx

Bengt77
Sep 28, 2009, 04:47 AM
I believe you can use any modern Apple laptop in clamshell mode (closed lid), to keep it from using its own screen. That way, you only have to drive the external monitor, which will no doubt help speed up your iBook somewhat. You enter clamshell mode by closing your iBook's lid, which puts it to sleep. Then, you attach your monitor cable and monitor, plug in an external keyboard and/or mouse, plug in your power adapter to both your iBook and a wall outlet, and then fire up your iBook again. It's internal screen should be off now.

EDIT: If this doesn't seem to work, you might get it working by using this hack (http://rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html).

Aphexart
Sep 28, 2009, 04:58 AM
what do you mean by modern?
my Ibook is from 2005, Ibook G4. can I clamshell this one? and how do I do that?

92WardSenatorFE
Sep 28, 2009, 05:06 AM
what do you mean by modern?
my Ibook is from 2005, Ibook G4. can I clamshell this one? and how do I do that?

If I am correct, iBooks can't do clamshell mode due to their design. The MacBook corrected this problem.

Aphexart
Sep 28, 2009, 05:18 AM
I downloaded a little program called InsomniaX, It is now possible to use my mac in Clamschell mode. BUT, He still uses both Monitors. I'm just not able to see one... because its closed LOL
so thats not the answer.

Bengt77
Sep 28, 2009, 10:21 AM
Did you try the hack I linked to in the red line of my earlier post?

Aphexart
Sep 28, 2009, 10:32 AM
thats just the screen spanning doctor, right?

I already have that. what should that do that I'm not aware of?

Aphexart
Sep 28, 2009, 10:37 AM
yes!! i did what you wrote, works like a charm! :D

thanks

Bengt77
Sep 28, 2009, 10:49 AM
I don't have any experience with the hack myself, but if you open the site and scroll down to where it says Update 01/12/04, there's the following line:

"I corrected a small bug in Screen Spanning Doctor, that prevented it from enabling clamshell mode on G4 iBooks. Users of G3 iBooks don't need to care about this update but if you own a G4 iBook and want to use clamshell mode you should download and run the latest version."

So might it be that you're running an older version of the hack than the one that line links to? If so, clamshell mode for iBooks probably wasn't implemented in that version yet. But again, I have no experience with Screen Spanning Doctor.

Bengt77
Sep 28, 2009, 10:52 AM
yes!! i did what you wrote, works like a charm! :D

thanks
Good. I hope it helps your iBook speed up a little. But then again, it is getting quite old. Time for an upgrade? ;)

Aphexart
Sep 28, 2009, 10:54 AM
so yeah, problem solved! I hope now my little one will be somewhat faster.

but I think I'll need to ad some ram. I've downloaded this programm that tells me if I need more ram when I'am working.
and suprise suprise... when I'm using all 3 adobe programmes at ones (wich are open most of the time because it's just to much of a hassle to open and close them all of the time) I need some more POWER!!

So next Question :p ;)

Ibook G4 ram... is there like a cheeper version? could I use sertain pc ram?
or is it Only Ibook G4 ram I can use?
what do I look up in Google? "IBook G4 ram"? :confused:

Aphexart
Sep 28, 2009, 10:58 AM
yeah I know, it is getting old :o
but its not like I go to the bathroom and S** some money ;) :D :p

what else could I update cheep (cheep= under 150$ 100€) besides some ram and maybe a new harddrive?

Bengt77
Sep 28, 2009, 11:09 AM
It depends what iBook G4 you have. If you have one of the first line (http://apple-history.com/?page=gallery&model=ibook_g4&sort=date&performa=off&order=ASC&range=) (from late 2003), then you'll need a 512MB PC2100 SO-DIMM (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/2100DDRSO512/) to maximize your iBook's RAM. It has 128MB soldered to the motherboard and won't take more than 640MB total. If, however, you have newer iBook G4 (http://apple-history.com/?page=gallery&model=ibook_g4_lat_04&sort=date&performa=off&order=ASC&range=) (either from early or late 2004), you can add a 1GB PC2100 SO-DIMM (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/2100DDRSO1GB/) to maximize your RAM. The last line of iBooks (http://apple-history.com/?page=gallery&model=ibook_g4_mid_05&sort=date&performa=off&order=ASC&range=) (from 2005) uses PC2700 SO-DIMMs (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/2700DDRS1GBA/), though, so be sure which iBook you have. The last batch can also take 1GB RAM modules to get to the maximum of 1,5GB RAM total.

I don't think upgrading your hard drive will matter a bit. Upgrading your RAM is your best bet.

Aphexart
Sep 28, 2009, 11:22 AM
I got mine November 2005.
It already has one slot taken by some extra ram. I am now at 1Gb ram.

so I can only update 500mb more?
or can I stuff the other 2 slots with 1GB each, to get up to 3GB?

I know my hardrive won't do anything to my speed. but most of the time my humongous 40GB HD is full. and when its full... that does do something to the speed... or not?
if not.. having a larger HD would be super!

I know its in German, but could I buy this one for my Ibook.

http://www.cyberport-store.de/notebook/notebook-zubehoer/festplatten-intern/ata-bis-500-gb/western-digital-scorpio-wd2500beve-250gb-5400rpm-8mb-2-5zoll---ata.html

ps: zoll = inch

Bengt77
Sep 28, 2009, 11:41 AM
If your iBook's hard drive is nearly full all the time, then yes, it will impact the speed. If there's not enough space for a nicely sized (read: big) swap file, then there will indeed be a noticeable speed penalty. So yes, I would advice you to get the bigger drive.

With regards to the RAM, there are no 'other two slots'. There is one 512MB module soldered to the motherboard, leaving only one slot free for you to fill. So that makes 1,5GB the absolute maximum amount of RAM your iBook can take.

Bengt77
Sep 28, 2009, 11:56 AM
You could also go for an enclosure like this (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/EZ%20Quest/N61200/). That way, you can put your current 40GB drive in the enclosure and have an external backup drive. OWC also has the WD drive you linked to (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Western%20Digital/WD2500BEVE/). The price, compared to what the drive costs at the German store, might seem high. But please note that ordering from the US is very interesting now, as the dollar is pretty weak. Just be aware that there might be customs added to the price when the product reaches the European main land.

Aphexart
Sep 28, 2009, 12:19 PM
ow, so you make your old HD into an external HD. that's pretty neat! :cool:
Good Idea when I do upgrade to a newer mac (After I buy a bigger internal).

but at the moment I already have enough external capacity. I think over 1TB.
I just want a bigger internal, so I don't have to backup every... month or so.

The internal I showed you, that's one I can use for my Ibook?
the link you posted to the "same" one didn't work. could you post it as a normal address?

Aphexart
Sep 28, 2009, 12:27 PM
never mind the link, I got it.

with shipping it comes to about the same price. so for those 2-3$ I'll just buy it here.
Aslong as I know I can buy it without making a mistake. :rolleyes:

Bengt77
Sep 28, 2009, 12:52 PM
Aslong as I know I can buy it without making a mistake. :rolleyes:
You can. Order it; the added space will be very nice and helpful. And about not having to back up every so often: wrong bet! You do need to back up often. Otherwise, you'll be sorry when (and not if) something bad happens to your drive.

Aphexart
Sep 28, 2009, 01:25 PM
yeah I know, I've already gone trough that.

once with my external backup HD, everything I backed up gone! :eek: that was one of the worst days of my life :( now I have 3 externals, with allmost the same stuff on it.

last time was a month ago, when my Little Ibook just didn't startup again. only into "DOS for mac" I thought he was a goneīr. but then after a couple of weeks doing nothing, just laying my closset, I went to the macshop to show somebody what the hell was wrong. He just startet like nothing was wrong.

oh yeah, last week I had the same problem, but after 2 days doing nothing all was well again.

what could that be?
is he telling me " I'm old, I want to only work part time now, I need my nappy nap" :p :confused:

Bengt77
Sep 28, 2009, 04:59 PM
is he telling me " I'm old, I want to only work part time now, I need my nappy nap" :p :confused:
Yes. A new (used) Apple laptop could be cheaper than you think. (http://cgi.ebay.de/Apple-Macbook-13-2-2-GHZ-2MB-RAM-mit-Snow-Leopard_W0QQitemZ170386739874QQcmdZViewItemQQptZApple_Systeme?hash=item27abd752a2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_500wt_1179)

Aphexart
Sep 29, 2009, 09:45 AM
serious, what could be the problem when he just doesnīt start for a couple a days. but then starts again after not doing anything.
is he heating up or something like that?

I know I need a new mac, but like I said, I just donīt have the money. not even for a secondhand. :(

some rich guy here want to sponsor me one? :p :D

Bengt77
Sep 29, 2009, 03:10 PM
serious, what could be the problem when he just doesnīt start for a couple a days. but then starts again after not doing anything.
is he heating up or something like that?
I have no clue at all. I've had my original iMac do the same thing on me once or twice, but the Macs I've had since then didn't ever show this behaviour. If anything, I'd say it's just from old age. It might be dust, collected on the inside over the years, that's blocking electrical current in some wires or transistors every now and then.

Aphexart
Oct 5, 2009, 04:11 AM
forgot to say thanx for all the help!

so, Thanx for all the help everyone! :)

maybe untill next time?