PDA

View Full Version : Going to Australia

rendezvouscp
Jul 12, 2004, 04:21 PM
Hey Aussies out there, I'm going to the east coast in less than two weeks. I'll be landing in Sydney and working my way up to Cairns. I wanted to know if there are any really good places I should go to in Sydney, Cairns, or other large cities inbetween. Also, is the plug for Australia the same for U.S.? Anything I should pack (that I wouldn't usually think of)? Not looking for anything too specific, but if you have any suggestions, please suggest.
–Chase

JesseJames
Jul 12, 2004, 05:06 PM
CRIKEY!!!

mim
Jul 12, 2004, 05:42 PM
Hey Aussies out there, I'm going to the east coast in less than two weeks. I'll be landing in Sydney and working my way up to Cairns. I wanted to know if there are any really good places I should go to in Sydney, Cairns, or other large cities inbetween. Also, is the plug for Australia the same for U.S.? Anything I should pack (that I wouldn't usually think of)? Not looking for anything too specific, but if you have any suggestions, please suggest.
–Chase

Hey Rendezvouscp.

Hope you enjoy your trip. Very jealous ('cause I got no money to travel at the moment...sigh). Here's my tips:

But first....and only because so many of your country-people make this one huge mistake - IT'S WINTER HERE. That doesn't mean snow, but you won't be swimming at Bondi beach without a wetsuit. Cairns will be bearable rather than stinking hot.

Australia uses 240V and has a different plug. Your electrical equipment won't work unless it's rated for 230-240V (most new stuff is).

Most interesting places working north might be the Blue Mountains (just out of Sydney), Harvey Bay, Brisbane & surrounds (Brisbane itself might not be that interesting unless you find a local to take you to the cool bars & bands/etc - but it's a good base to see the Goldcoast, Maroochydoore, Glass house mountains...great beaches, but get up into the hinterland too). From there, well there's lots of cane fields all the way to Cairns. I can't think of anything really exciting till Cairns. Up there there's quite a bit - the Reef, the Daintree rainforest, there's some huge lava tubes up that way too.

Enjoy!

Jalexster
Jul 12, 2004, 05:56 PM
I'm Australian, I can tell you some things. I don't leave Victoria (Lowest State on the mainland) very often, so I can't tell you where to go; But visit Darling Harbour and the Opera House in Sydney, it's very nice.

Anyway, we don't use the same power connectors here. Also, in America, the power standard is 110volts. Here it's 240volts, so your equipment will get fried. If you are a Mac user with a Powerbook, iBook or iPod that has the new type of power adaptor, you can by a nice travel kit from apple, that allows you to remove the American plug, and replace it with plugs from other countries. Also, the Apple Power Adaptors take a wide-varity of voltages (I think(, so a voltage adaptor will not be required. You will have to get some sort of 240 to 110 voltage converter from somewhere, for everything else.

When traveling, stay near the coast. The desert is NOT somewhere you want to go, for one thing, EVERYTHING gets covered in red dust. It's also very hot down here, this is one country where wearing a hat + sunscreen, is not a joke.

Now, keep in mind, we drive of the left side of the road, and cars are kind of mirrored, so the driver's seat is on the right, etc...

Also: the spiders: Don't go near any spider webs in a funnel shape. They belong to funnelweb spiders, which are very dangerous. Also, stay away from white spiders, because they are also very dangerous. Also stay away from spiders which have red on thier back. They are redbacks, and, you guessed it, very dangerous. There aren't many though, so you should be ok.

Finally: No guns here. Really. The only people who have guns, are the police.

This does not cover everything you need to know, so I'd check with some other people too. But I do hope this information helps.

DJY
Jul 13, 2004, 03:19 AM
Come on over mate - you'll love it!
You may not want to go home!

Lots of see up the east coast... too many to list here!
What sort of things are you interested in?
That might help us point you in the right direction...

Definitely do Sunshine Coast / Glass House Mountains...
Maybe out to the Great Barrier Reef?
A nice resort island in the Whitsundays

Definitely try lots of our local beers!!! Especially Boags and Cascade!
Lots of great local wine to try...
lots of great people...
and HEAPS to do.

kaylee
Jul 13, 2004, 04:58 AM
To add to the list of already mentioned places to visit

Themeparks:
Warner Bros Movie World (http://www.movieworld.com.au/home/homepage.cfm) , Dreamworld (http://www.dreamworld.com.au/dw/dreamweb.nsf) (Gold Coast)
Australia Zoo (http://www.crocodilehunter.com/australia_zoo/welcome/) (Beerwah) - This is Croc Hunter Steve Irwin's zoo

Markets:
Southbank, Brisbane and Eagle Street Pier, Brisbane have markets (friday nights and weekends for Southbank, and Sundays for Eagle Street Pier).
http://www.ourbrisbane.com/whatson/markets/ has a more complete list of markets in Brisbane and surrounding areas.

There are also markets in Sydney and Paddington. I'm actually from Brisbane so don't know a great deal about them.
http://www.sydney.com.au/ - search for markets.

Also both the sydney and ourbrisbane sights appear to be good for finding out info about touristy places, upcoming events, accomodation, travel/how-to-get-places guides etc, etc.

Rod Rod
Jul 13, 2004, 06:13 AM
Try to get a window seat so you can take in the landing at the airport in Sydney. The flight path takes you pretty close to the city and it's an amazing view.

Katoomba in western Sydney (by Penrith) is alright, but if you've seen any canyons in the U.S. it may be a little underwhelming. The story about the three sisters is folksy though.

They may have built a new airport since I flew in 9 years ago, and maybe katoomba has improved since.

It's illegal for vehicles to have more than a spot of rust (if that). you'll notice even beaters in Oz are in pretty good shape. Vehicle registration won't be renewed if there's any rust.

Have that chocolate-coated yellow cake (lemmington?) for breakfast.

Canberra is a daytrip from sydney. The architecture and public art there (including the parliament building) is worth checking out.

There's a space needle type observation tower in sydney.

It will be light jacket to sweater (jumper) weather.

Have fun!

rendezvouscp
Jul 13, 2004, 06:26 AM
Hey guys, thanks a lot for posting. This actually is turning out to be quite helpful to me. I'll check up on the Apple Power Adaptor, thanks for the heads up. Those spiders are interesting... I knew Australia houses some of the most dangerous wildlife (maybe not in the city, but in the whole country). I'm going with a "tour group" [it's really a group called People to People. They send out groups of teenagers to be student ambassadors (pretty much to meet different people, experience the country, and meet with some sort of government officials) to different countries like Australia], so I don't have control of where I'm staying, but we seem to have a lot of downtime so we can go out in the city and look around. It's a great trip, you can learn more about the trip here (http://www.studentambassadors.org/).

In short, I'll be staying in Sydney, Coffs Harbour, South Stradbroke Island, Fraser Island, Rockhampton, Yeppoon, Airlie Beach, Charter Towers, and Cairns, for various amounts of days. So, in those cities, I'm pretty much free to do whatever I want in my downtime with whoever I'm with in our group. Sadly, I can't experience any alcoholic drink, as I'm only 15 ;). But, anything else I can do.

Thanks for the links so far, they're providing me with a little more insight into the trip too. I'll be going to the Opera House, and climb with Harbor Bridge too. Someone mentioned the reef, I'm going snorkeling there.

Thanks for your posts. They're really appreciated.
–Chase