PDA

View Full Version : Any good suggestions on finding good theme music?

silvergts1998
Sep 27, 2009, 12:14 PM
What are some good places to buy theme music for movies? I don't like using Itune songs but prefer music with no words for all type of movies.

Thanks in advance!

Adam

testcard
Sep 27, 2009, 01:05 PM
Try Googling "royalty free music".

silvergts1998
Sep 27, 2009, 06:53 PM
Try Googling "royalty free music".

I saw them but they seemed to be really expensive. Is that normai pricing?

pkoch1
Sep 28, 2009, 12:29 AM
Why are you looking for this music? To listen to? To put to a film that you have made?

testcard
Sep 28, 2009, 03:08 AM
I saw them but they seemed to be really expensive. Is that normai pricing?
The problem is that legally you can't take commercial music tracks and edit them to your own pictures as you'd be in breach of copyright. If you're working professionally, you can sign up to use "library music" tracks written for audio-visual productions, and pay a licence fee to stay legal, or else use royalty-free music - usually for unlimited use after paying a one-off fee. It would help to know how you're planning to use music in your productions.

silvergts1998
Sep 28, 2009, 07:12 AM
I am looking to add it to video productions. So Royalty music is the only option? Also can you tell me more about the subscription? Thanks!!!!

testcard
Sep 28, 2009, 07:22 AM
Where are you based? Here in the UK, video production companies sign up to the Mechanical Copyright Protection Society (MCPS). Then we can access all of the music libraries with material written purely for corporate videos, TV and radio commercials, online and so on. Once you've used library music in a production, you declare how much you've used to the MCPS, and they issue a licence for the usage. Rates are very much cheaper than using commercial tracks - for example, to use 30" of music in a corporate (non-broadcast) production would cost around 35. It all depends where you are (I'm pretty sure the US has a similar organisation to the MCPS here in the UK), and if you're producing videos professionally.

pkoch1
Sep 28, 2009, 07:45 AM
I am looking to add it to video productions. So Royalty music is the only option? Also can you tell me more about the subscription? Thanks!!!!

Hire a composer!

*cough*
www.paulkochmusic.com

testcard
Sep 28, 2009, 07:46 AM
Hire a composer!

*cough*
www.paulkochmusic.com

All the composers I know are vastly overpaid and charge by the note :D

salientstimulus
Sep 28, 2009, 11:17 AM

What sort of music are you looking to include? If it's of a pop category (broadly defined, rock, hip/hop, folk, etc), you might consider reaching out to indie musicians/labels. These are people that need all the exposure they can get, and they might let you use it for free, particularly if you include something promotional for them (a mention in the credits, etc).