PDA

View Full Version : Your Insurance Policy/Provider?

MacAztec
Jul 12, 2004, 05:11 PM
My parents are going to be getting me car insurance soon. They told the insurance people I may either get a Cadillac DeVille (94-96), or a Ford Ranger (99-02). They said the Cadillac would be 1700/year, and the Ranger 1800/year. My parents think these prices are really high, and they are looking for cheaper providers. This is for liability only insurance.

What insurance providers do you use? How much does it cost?

Pheonix
Jul 12, 2004, 06:07 PM
My parents are going to be getting me car insurance soon. They told the insurance people I may either get a Cadillac DeVille (94-96), or a Ford Ranger (99-02). They said the Cadillac would be 1700/year, and the Ranger 1800/year. My parents think these prices are really high, and they are looking for cheaper providers. This is for liability only insurance.

What insurance providers do you use? How much does it cost?
You get cheaper insurance by buying the right car. A Honda or a Hyundai is cheap if you stay away from the sporty models. I currently pay about 1200 a year but I have 300k liability tacked on my insurance. Insurance rates will drop as you get older as well.

Cleaning up your credit report (the person who is getting the insurance), getting a car with airbags, antilock breaks, anti theft systems can lower your cost as well. Don't be tricked into getting liability only. It is cheap but legally your not allowed to drive the car only park it with a liscence plate on it.

blackfox
Jul 12, 2004, 06:16 PM
Well, macaztec,

It would help if I knew the insurance provider that quoted the figures you put in your post. It is also somewhat helpful to know where you live, as there are some reputable regional providers.

I personally use American Family. I cannot say if they are available to you, or if they are recommended...I have used them for a long time, and at my age w/ a flawless driving record (no tickets, no accidents) they give me a good deal.

I believe Geico can be pretty reasonable...I just don't know that many providers.

Still, most providers all offer the same discounts, for being a good student, or for taking a driving safety course...these can knock a bit off of the total. So can older and less-powerful cars (even for liability), if you want to keep looking around for transport. Rates are also cheaper w/ larger deductables in your plan, but I believe that doesn't really matter w/ liability only...

Allstate is evil...but maybe that was just an unlucky experience...

bousozoku
Jul 12, 2004, 06:31 PM
I'm currently with Nationwide and it's somewhat expensive. I can't go with Geico or Progressive because I would lose the discount for having my house and car insurance with one provider.

I've had Progressive and believe them to be good and they're less expensive than the big names. State Farm is probably the least expensive of the big name insurers.

Allstate is to be avoided, as Blackfox says, they are evil.