PDA

View Full Version : Frequent iPod Rebooting

IJ Reilly
Jul 12, 2004, 05:13 PM
When my 3G 15 gig iPod is left asleep and disconnected from a Mac, quite often it apparently crashes. Pressing the play button results in a cold start/reboot. At that point, the battery indicator generally shows that the charge is down somewhat, even if it was fully charged when it was last put to sleep. Usually the iPod has to be left disconnected and unused for a day or more for this to happen, but then it occurs pretty consistently. A few hours in sleep state doesn't seem to be a problem.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? Does it have a fix?

musicpyrite
Jul 12, 2004, 05:28 PM
Try doing a total wipe of the iPod and then reinstall the iPod OS.

And make sure you don't drain the battery. When the battery on my iPod is low, I frequently turn it on and it has to boot, instead of waking up from its sleep.

IJ Reilly
Jul 12, 2004, 05:42 PM
Good grief, should that be necessary? Painful, very painful.

I rarely allow the batteries to run low, let alone, dead.

musicpyrite
Jul 12, 2004, 05:56 PM
Good grief, should that be necessary? Painful, very painful.

:confused:

Reinstalling the iPod OS is not painful at all.

It takes at most 1 minute to wipe the iPod HD and reinstall the HD.

And when I put 15 gigs of music on my iPod at once it takes like ~20 minutes.

It's not that hard at all, it's not like reinstalling Panther or XP.

IJ Reilly
Jul 12, 2004, 06:15 PM
I don't look forward to backing up all of the music. I suppose it won't be too horrible, but I'll have to be very careful not to miss anything.

How do you reinstall the OS? Will the updates have to run again?

musicpyrite
Jul 12, 2004, 07:14 PM
How do you reinstall the OS? Will the updates have to run again?

Assuming we are still talking about reinstalling the iPod OS (and not Panther) it's easy.

There's two (acutally three) that I will tell you how to get music off your iPod.

1) Assuming you have some program like Cocktail or Tinker Tool, use that. (what you need to do is enable yourself to hidden folders, the music on the iPod is located in hidden folders) All you have to do is drag the music from your iPod to your computer's hard drive, reinstall the OS, and then put the music in EXACTLY the same place you found it on your iPod.

2) Use a program (there are a ton of them, like iPodRip (Mac only)) to take the music off your iPod. Reinstall the OS and then put the music back on.

3) use the Terminal: it's too confusing for me to explain, and using the terminal, you run the risk of deleting all your music.

IJ Reilly
Jul 12, 2004, 07:28 PM
I use an AppleScript to copy music files from the iPod via iTunes. It's simple and it works. I'll do it that way and copy them back to the iPod with iTunes.

Still don't know how to reinstall the iPod OS, or whether I'll need to install the updates afterwards.