PDA

View Full Version : Open source kills jobs, says Gates

MacBytes
Jul 12, 2004, 06:57 PM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Open source kills jobs, says Gates (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040712195711)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

OhEsTen
Jul 12, 2004, 07:32 PM
Nothing keeps more people working like an os with bugs. Man, good ol' bill wants to monopolize people's computers and job opportunities.

nuckinfutz
Jul 12, 2004, 07:50 PM
Open Source is rather anti establishment. However I doubt that it kills jobs anymore than Microsoft creating iron clad document formats kills jobs. Microsoft seems to like to portray itself as an amiable citizen acting out of pure benevolence when in fact their 50 billion in the bank go there because they "wouldn't" share IP. The real question is under what circumstance is our computing life better? Going with the expensive and proprietary formats or utilizing open source apps that lack the spit n polish but don't cost an arm and a leg either. I'm sorry but Bill just doesn't have the moxy to win this arguemen.

Stella
Jul 12, 2004, 08:42 PM
Alternatively, you could view MS a different way. Blood sucking leeches:

How much money do MS squeeze from Health and Education Authorities throughout the world? ( unfair license conditions.. organisations have to pay for licenses for software on their PCs (and even Macs) even if they aren't going to use product on that machine). A vast sums... money that can be better spend on educating Kids and caring for patients. Example: Education authories in Ontario will use OpenOffice, thus saving a large sum of money - better spent elsewhere than MS's pocket.

Opensource - something that MS cannot kill, easily. If developers want to band together to create free software, that is often better than commercial software ( I.e., Elicpse (spelling), JBoss, Mozilla, Apache et al ), then why shouldn't they??

It of course, benefits companies: how much money and time has Apple saved in implementing opensource components in Mac OS?

MS even use opensource software in their applications... whilst their preaching...

isgoed
Jul 13, 2004, 03:21 AM
Open source kills jobs, says Gates
I thought that he meant Steve Jobs. :)

iMeowbot
Jul 13, 2004, 06:25 AM
If that seems counterintuitive, consider that the large commercial software vendors can and do pick up development projects and move them to the cheap country of the moment at the drop of a hat, devastating local economies in their wake.

FOSS, by its very nature, serves as an awesome antidote to that problem. With the source code again available, end users are now able to resume a practice that shrink-wrapped software nearly eliminated, namely the ability to tailor the software to the organization's specific needs.

Right up into the '90s, when the heavy business logic was performed on central mainframes or departmental minis, it was normal for even proprietary software to ship with source code. This was wonderful, because organizations were always able to alter the software to match their specific problems. In the shrink-wrap world, customers frequently are forced instead to modify their practices to match what their software can do. "It can't be done" is not a formula for being successful and competitive!

Of course, someone has to perform that custom tailoring, and that's where locally based development comes back into the picture. That's the kind of work that really needs to be performed locally to be cost effective; some of those customizations can be relatively small, yet very important, and the kind of individual feedback a customer gets by having someone on site isn't there with a remote development house.

This type of work falls more onto the consulting end of things, and admittedly that's going to make some people uncomfortable. It doesn't require quite the same skill set as a corporate coder needs. There's some hustling involved, and a lot more creativity is required. In return, it tends to pay a lot better and allow a much more flexible personal schedule.

So yeah, things are changing a lot and will continue to change, but it's far from all gloom and doom.

cb911
Jul 13, 2004, 07:21 AM
I thought that he meant Steve Jobs. :)

he he. i thought that as well. :p

kill and jobs are not two words i like to see in the same sentance.

as far as OpenSource goes, i love it! :D down with MS more and more OpenSource! :D

the_mole1314
Jul 13, 2004, 10:03 AM
I agree that just relying on opensource stuff, with like Joe-Schmoe's Linux, is pointless, but dear god, Apple and others prove that you can sell a product based on open source.