PDA

View Full Version : iTunes adds extra time to end of track imported from GarageBand

lmorett
Sep 28, 2009, 12:34 AM
I'm a cognitive scientist preparing some audio files for playback during an experiment. I recently spent more time than I'd like to admit cropping my files that I had created within GarageBand ('08) to 100ms. of silence before and after the sound. To my chagrin, when I imported the files into iTunes, extra silence had been added to the end of my files so that they were 5 s. apiece. Does anyone know what is causing this? Is there some option within GarageBand or iTunes that I can uncheck to retain the original length of my files (about 1-2 s. apiece), or some work around that gets around this? The whole reason why I cropped all of the files so carefully is because the timing of playback and silence is important in the experiment in which these files will be played back.

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can offer.

Jolly Jimmy
Sep 28, 2009, 07:55 AM
You need to set the end of the project by moving the small triangle in the timeline bar.

lmorett
Sep 28, 2009, 01:29 PM
You need to set the end of the project by moving the small triangle in the timeline bar.

Thanks for the suggestion, Jolly Jimmy. I tried to move the triangle in the timeline bar to the end of my sound clip, but it won't move any closer to 0:00 than 0:12, whereas my sound clip is only 0:02 in duration. Note that I only have one track, with only that one sound clip in it. Any thoughts on this?

Jolly Jimmy
Sep 28, 2009, 04:41 PM
I've never had to deal with such short clips before, but I just checked and it seems that you can't move the end of a project to less than 12 seconds in Garageband. I'm not completely familiar with it, but I use Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/mac) for stuff that Garageband can't deal with.

salientstimulus
Sep 28, 2009, 05:25 PM
I'd also put a plug in for Audacity, it's quite a bit more 'hands-on' than GarageBand. You should be able to get exactly the file length you want.

lmorett
Sep 28, 2009, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I downloaded and tested Audacity today, and I think that I'll use it to create the audio clips for my experiment instead of GarageBand (forcing me to discard my previous work, alas--but such is the life of a researcher). Between the problem with the timing of the clips I've already described here and my discovery that I need to create .wav files, I think Audacity would serve my needs better than GB.

jaredloman
Feb 17, 2010, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, Jolly Jimmy. I tried to move the triangle in the timeline bar to the end of my sound clip, but it won't move any closer to 0:00 than 0:12, whereas my sound clip is only 0:02 in duration. Note that I only have one track, with only that one sound clip in it. Any thoughts on this?

Hello there,

I realize this is an old thread, but incase you are still in need of this feature or perhaps someone else stumbles upon this..I have found a solution that doesn't require any software outside of GB.

Just use the loop feature to select the segment you want and when you export, it will only be the loop selection.

Hope this is helpful!

-Jared

zipcode1
Jan 3, 2011, 11:38 AM
Hello there,

I realize this is an old thread, but incase you are still in need of this feature or perhaps someone else stumbles upon this..I have found a solution that doesn't require any software outside of GB.

Just use the loop feature to select the segment you want and when you export, it will only be the loop selection.

Hope this is helpful!

-Jared

THANK YOU!!!! I tried to solve this thing for days!