PDA

View Full Version : how good is a imac G3 600mhz ?

MacHamster68
Sep 28, 2009, 07:22 AM
hello as i could get a snowy imac g3 600mhz 16mb vram ,running 10.4.11 tiger ,i would like to know what is it capable of ?
i found some benchmarking things ,but the problem with all these benchmark tests are , they actually say nothing about the performance in the real world
some compare the imac G3 with pc`s i never heard of :confused:
i also know some people really use them today for old OS9 games
but what about every day computing , surfing the web, watching youtube
or a film (AVI/divx),is it possible or will the processor burst into flames?:confused:

mrsir2009
Sep 28, 2009, 11:31 PM
I'd expect normal browsing would be OK. But some of these machines struggle or can't do streamed media, as in You Tube. I have an iMac G3 (blue) running panther and OS9 and it can't do streamed media at all. It even struggles with CSS on the net.

They are generally pretty ok offline. If you have a good browser then they may handle the net ok, but don't expect them to do streamed media too well or at all.

As for email, outlook and some other mail clients work pretty good, though it may struggle or not be able to handle web mail, sorry, mine can't.

Good luck!

eRondeau
Sep 28, 2009, 11:56 PM
I have the exact same 10.4.11/600MHz/640MB/40GB iMac G3 "Snow". I keep it at my mother's house to use when I visit her. The "fun" of old computers is trying to find the right combination of software that will keep it functional nearly a decade later. For example, mine runs Camino very happily although I've disabled Flash. Tiger Mail works fine. iTunes 8 works fine for music (no video). MS Office (Mac) 2004 works great. So the bottom line is, it's still completely usable for basic tasks that don't involve video or Flash animation. And using it just "feels different" compared to my newer Macs. :apple:

hughvane
Sep 29, 2009, 02:18 AM
Hear, hear to what eRondeau has to say about video on a G3 600. I have the graphite (more a dirty blue) model, but I won't venture beyond Panther with it. It handles most tasks of everyday computing at a gentle pace, but it's almost unstoppable. A rock-solid computer.

iMJustAGuy
Sep 30, 2009, 11:40 AM
hello as i could get a snowy imac g3 600mhz 16mb vram ,running 10.4.11 tiger ,i would like to know what is it capable of ?
i found some benchmarking things ,but the problem with all these benchmark tests are , they actually say nothing about the performance in the real world
some compare the imac G3 with pc`s i never heard of :confused:
i also know some people really use them today for old OS9 games
but what about every day computing , surfing the web, watching youtube
or a film (AVI/divx),is it possible or will the processor burst into flames?:confused:
Your specs seem a little better than mine (see the sig) but I can't even run youtube videos on my G3.

EDIT: or not, I don't have it in there anymore.. I think its like 400mhz...

iPhone 62S
Sep 30, 2009, 11:44 AM
These computers are nice for collectors and for playing around with, but they're not practical for real-world use.

Keeping it on old software (OS 9, OS X 2 and 3) will keep the system itself running at a decent pace, but as others have said, the internet can be a problem, unless you do all your browsing via Internet Archive to get sites from 2001 :p

yoak
Sep 30, 2009, 12:05 PM
I have a G3 in my daughter´s room. Use it as a DVD player and for playing music.
I run Tiger and it runs fine. It has airport so I can check mail etc on it if I want.

I have to admit I only used it as a novelty when I got it for free

MacHamster68
Oct 3, 2009, 05:45 PM
thanks for the answers

i just love these old mac`s as they still have these nice crt screens inside
they are robust , thats why parents buy them possibly for theire kids as a crt screen doesn`t mind fingerprints without getting pressure marks :D
or you can open a can fizzy in front of it and just wipe it of with the next thing that comes to hand without having to worry about scratches or preassure marks

MacHamster68
Oct 5, 2009, 04:43 AM
i can answer my question now definitly
it does everything i ask it it plays movies , it suerfs the web, it does photoshop, word you name it ,it does it even plays youtube videos
it does itunes really well ,surpriced about the quality of these small harman kardon speakers inside

might be a bit slower if you do to much multitasking and open to many applications at once , but i did not expect the performance of a eightcore processor when i bought the imac G3 , but its a pleasure to look at and fun to see it still keeps up at every day computing :)
so in my opinion if you dont need topspeed for your applications you are running the imac g3 is still usable for every day computing , and you can even play all sort of games on it ,
there are plenty around , which you can play on a imac g3

mrsir2009
Oct 5, 2009, 01:56 PM
Lol, I have one. It runs OS9, but I do have OSX3 on it too. Its OK, but I've given up trying to browse the web on it. I've tried an old and new version of firefox, and an old and a new version of safari, and neither work.

All that does is internet explorer 5. And that is the worst browser I've EVER used!

MacHamster68
Oct 5, 2009, 03:20 PM
mine works perfectly on the internet it even plays all youtube i came across , without any problems
i use camino just now as i write here ,the little imac g3 snow (i call it my little snowball) here is my main internet browsing machine and its working perfect :D