Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maccin475

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2009
Hey Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and i was a PC person till a few months ago. After my 3rd laptop died on me, i've decided not to spend anymore money trying to fix my crappy laptops and have finally decided to make a switch to a Macbook. I am currently a college student and i've heard that students get a discount on select products through the Apple Store. If they do then is the discount applicable on Macbooks? If yes, then how much is the discount?

Thanks

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Yes, there is a student discount for Macs. For the base white MacBook it is $50 and for the base MacBook Pro 13" it is $100 for the discount. In addition to having a discount on all the Built To Order upgrades that you add on.

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
While there is a education discount, it's been my experience that it's not really worth it. If you're outside the US I can't speak to that point, but in the US, Apple charges sales tax regardless of your location. Depending on the tax in your area, it can be more advantageous to purchase from a reseller at full price and avoid paying sales tax.

zenoran

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2009
While there is a education discount, it's been my experience that it's not really worth it. If you're outside the US I can't speak to that point, but in the US, Apple charges sales tax regardless of your location. Depending on the tax in your area, it can be more advantageous to purchase from a reseller at full price and avoid paying sales tax.

technically you're supposed to pay taxes on internet sales when you file your taxes every year :)

londonmystery

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
London, UK
In the UK

For us in the UK the HE discount is between 11 & 18% dependant on what you buy. My airport extreme and express were 11%, imac was 15% I think and uMBP was either 16 or 18%. All prices here are inclusive of tax or as we call it, VAT. :):)

nullx86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
Wilmington/Jacksonville, NC
As long as your in College (or a recognized High School) you will 9% most likely have a discount. Personally, If your on a tight budget, I would get a refurb, as they are loads cheaper (20" 2008 iMac for $999 + tax versus 1199+tax for new.). I have a refurb 2008 24" iMac and I couldn't be happier. No problems with it so far, and I dont expect to have any. If you want a bigger discount, you coul get a ADC (apple developer connection) Student Membership. You must be a student to get one, and you get a one time discount, which I think is about 20% on the "Pro" (MBP, iMac, Mac Pro, Xserve) models. Hope that helps.

captincroc

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2009
I personally like the £703 discount I can get from the Education Store. It also gives the sense I must use it for educational purposes :p!

Maccin475

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2009
As long as your in College (or a recognized High School) you will 9% most likely have a discount. Personally, If your on a tight budget, I would get a refurb, as they are loads cheaper (20" 2008 iMac for $999 + tax versus 1199+tax for new.). I have a refurb 2008 24" iMac and I couldn't be happier. No problems with it so far, and I dont expect to have any. If you want a bigger discount, you coul get a ADC (apple developer connection) Student Membership. You must be a student to get one, and you get a one time discount, which I think is about 20% on the "Pro" (MBP, iMac, Mac Pro, Xserve) models. Hope that helps.

Thank you all for your help. Nullx, i live in California where the sales tax is 9.25%, so that will pretty much negate the student discount. A friend of mine also suggested that i look into Refurbs. I saw a couple on eBay, do you recommend that i buy off another user on eBay, or are there any other websites that sell Refurb Mac's?

londonmystery

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
London, UK

nullx86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
Wilmington/Jacksonville, NC
Thank you all for your help. Nullx, i live in California where the sales tax is 9.25%, so that will pretty much negate the student discount. A friend of mine also suggested that i look into Refurbs. I saw a couple on eBay, do you recommend that i buy off another user on eBay, or are there any other websites that sell Refurb Mac's?

Go to http://store.apple.com scroll down mid page, and look for the link the says Refurbished Mac. Or do an F3 in Firefox and search for that term. Ebay is not reliable unless you know a good sender. I would reccomend trying Apple's refurb store first, then MacLister, and some other "Authorized" Apple retailers before hitting ebay. I looked for months and could not find jack squat on ebay that was anywhere close to a deal. Most of what I found were blackbooks being sold as new for the price of the new MBA's.

OH! I may have caused some confusion; The price of the MacBook is £703! I didn't save £703, that would be silly.

Ah, I thought you meant you saved $703 :p So how did you get a $200 quid discount? Must my discount goes for is 100-150 USD.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
technically you're supposed to pay taxes on internet sales when you file your taxes every year :)

I new someone would say this in this thread. I have never heard of this before, until reading it in several threads here, and doubt most anyone would actually do it. Maybe it varies from state to state or something. Personally if I'm not charged tax at the time of purchase they are never going to get it from me.

Ninjasrule

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2010
Is this student discount one time deal still working? I was hoping to use it for the new MBPs.. thanks!

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Is this student discount one time deal still working? I was hoping to use it for the new MBPs.. thanks!

Here's what I see when I go on the Apple Store as a student.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-04-13 at 5.02.16 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-04-13 at 5.02.16 PM.png
    150.6 KB · Views: 933
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.