PDA

View Full Version : Alpine KCA-420i Connects to Your iPod

MacBytes
Jul 12, 2004, 11:18 PM
Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: Alpine KCA-420i Connects to Your iPod (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040713001854)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

macridah
Jul 12, 2004, 11:46 PM
oh yeah. I really like this solution. If you use this alpine connector, then you could still use the cd changer and navigation--something you can't do with ipodyourbmw.

2GMario
Jul 13, 2004, 09:25 AM
only thing im upset about is late september

living in buffalo ny, last september isnt exactly go out for a drive for the hell of it weather. itll start getting cold out

either way, probably end up canceling my xm radio. i like variety, but id rather select what i wanna listen to from the ipod, than randomly be feed it, even if it comes from 100 channels. plus the sound quality should be better from the iPod.

to bad the xm reciever and antenna cost me around the 30gb ipod and now this adapter.

good thing for ebay

-Mario

mainstreetmark
Jul 13, 2004, 09:27 AM
That's a pretty big box! Is that all it's for, or does Alpine always do this these days for amps or something?

MondayNgt
Jul 13, 2004, 09:37 AM
I bought an Alpine stereo last summer (2003 model) that has Ai-NET built in on it (I currently have my XM receiver hooked up through it). One thing that bothered me when I read the product description is that the iPod product requires a 2004 Alpine stereo with Ai-Net. Does anyone know for sure if you most certainly have to have a 2004 model? If the Ai-NET is the same, shouldn't it technically work with older stereos? If the Ai-NET connector is different or have different protocols in the 2004 models, that to me would be like computer makers changing Firewire/USB specs with each model.

--
Patrick Shannon

My War With Culture (http://www.mywarwithculture.com)
The Positively Eclectic Online Comic!

Longey Nowze
Jul 13, 2004, 09:50 AM
I bought an Alpine stereo last summer (2003 model) that has Ai-NET built in on it (I currently have my XM receiver hooked up through it). One thing that bothered me when I read the product description is that the iPod product requires a 2004 Alpine stereo with Ai-Net. Does anyone know for sure if you most certainly have to have a 2004 model? If the Ai-NET is the same, shouldn't it technically work with older stereos? If the Ai-NET connector is different or have different protocols in the 2004 models, that to me would be like computer makers changing Firewire/USB specs with each model.

--
Patrick Shannon

My War With Culture (http://www.mywarwithculture.com)
The Positively Eclectic Online Comic!

I think you should email/call them and ask, you will get an answer from them.

mrsebastian
Jul 13, 2004, 12:17 PM

i doubt the connectors are different, they probably just updated the software, so you may be able to get an upgrade.

this is awesome from alpine! the biggest problem with hooking up your ipod to a car system, has been navigating your music collection. from what i've seen, even the bmw/ipod thing doesn't offer very good controls. good job on getting that part right alpine!

technocoy
Jul 13, 2004, 12:37 PM
yeah i just installed a new alpine just for this, i am stoked, the way it list the files is awesome. and you can view it by artist/album, artist/song album/song...etc,etc. it also has a search that looks alot like the scroll interface of the iPod. i can't wait for the adapter! oh and if anyone wants to spend some dough on a really nice head unit that is expandable without dropping 1400 on the one witha monitor, the 9835? i believe is AWESOME, and the diplay ROCKS.

Peace out,
technocoy