PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Died..

2nyRiggz
Sep 28, 2009, 01:48 PM
My 60gig BC PS3 kicked the bucket this morning..:( I have a new PS3 but I really want the data and the HDD from my old PS3 and put it into the slim....I need some help, how should I go about getting my game saves/data/PSN games unto the new HDD then swap the new with the old HDD and restoring the data to it.

Heres what I want to do:

Dead PS3 HDD>> PS3slim 120GB >>>Remove the 120GB from the slim and put the 500GB into the slim and restore the data on the 500 again.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bless

Unspoken Demise
Sep 28, 2009, 01:50 PM
How does a PS3 "die?"
I know a 360 red rings, but how do you know on your PS3?

Hellhammer
Sep 28, 2009, 01:52 PM
You could buy a enclosure, take out the dead PS3's HD and copy the saves from there to the new drive and do the same for 120GB HD.

MacRumorUser
Sep 28, 2009, 03:36 PM
How does a PS3 "die?"
I know a 360 red rings, but how do you know on your PS3?

Yellow Light Of Death. It just flashes and nothing comes on screen :(

It also seems to be the same cause as the RROD failures. Machine heating up and damaging the circuitry around the gpu. Digital Foundry did a great article covering the exact cause and unfortunately it seems to be getting 'relatively' common in repair shops from earlier PS3's. The bad thing is because it takes longer for it to materialize than the RROD your basically out of warranty and repair is costly.

As for external enclosure it may be worth a try but...

I'm not sure if PS3 formatting of it's HDD is FAT32 or even if it is - if its file system can be read on a windows/mac machine, hence you may not be able to read it in an external enclosure. We all know what Sony is like with propriety formats.

Also by trying to use it any other PS3 you will get an error message. :(:o:(

2nyRiggz
Sep 28, 2009, 04:23 PM
Well this sucks...Looks like I'm going to lose all of my game saves and will have to download all of my PSN games again....:mad:

I've researched it and it looks like the PC/Mac won't read PS3 files so getting a external enclosure wont work because it won't recognize the files.

I was thinking about putting it in an enclosure and try it that way but looks like that theory is shot down.

Looks like I'll have to start from the beginning of all my games and I don't think I can do that again...especially Fallout 3(I JUST GOT BROKEN STEEL!!!)

Lucky thing I bought the slim version a couple weeks ago but I never backed up my files because I was using it strictly for Blu-Ray...sad face.

Bless

spyker3292
Sep 28, 2009, 04:33 PM
I lost all my saves this year... Skate 2 crashed (this was about a week after the game came out, so... was that January?) and I got this nice message about corrupt data when I restarted. All of the installed data from games, as well as downloaded games, videos, and music were working. But every single save file was corrupt.

MacRumorUser
Sep 28, 2009, 05:50 PM
Well this sucks...Looks like I'm going to lose all of my game saves and will have to download all of my PSN games again....:mad:

Bless

Sadly as I expected :( Rememer to backup saves to a USB mem stick in future :(:o:(

e˛Studios
Sep 28, 2009, 11:43 PM
I moved a 500GB HD from one PS3 to another with no issues. The account name on the PS3 just has to be the same. I do backups on to a external HD, but you should be able to plug in the old HD and so long as the PS3 & PSN account name are the same it should work for you.

Taustin Powers
Sep 29, 2009, 12:34 AM
From what I have read (I might be wrong), the only problem is that the slim PS3 will not take the hard drive from a fat one. But transferring harddrives from fat to fat is supposed to work fine...?

So you would need to find someone who will let you rape his fat PS3 for a bit. Install your old hard drive with all your game saves and data in that one, then do a backup to an external hd. Then use the external to restore everything on your slim.

If my first assumption isn't completely false, this should work. :confused:

JackAxe
Sep 29, 2009, 12:57 AM
That's a bummer 2nyRiggz. :(

Here's hoping for a quick and easy resolve. On the bright side you're getting a new PS3. :)

Oh, check out the video on this page, they talk about how to transfer your files from an old PS3 to a new one;
http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/27/playstation-3-slim-review/

MacRumorUser
Sep 29, 2009, 02:27 AM
From what I have read (I might be wrong), the only problem is that the slim PS3 will not take the hard drive from a fat one. But transferring harddrives from fat to fat is supposed to work fine...?

So you would need to find someone who will let you rape his fat PS3 for a bit. Install your old hard drive with all your game saves and data in that one, then do a backup to an external hd. Then use the external to restore everything on your slim.

If my first assumption isn't completely false, this should work. :confused:

I have tried moving from Fat to Fat on ps3 with same usernames. It still showed the error message that this data was done on a different ps3.

The username and console name were the same :(.

Maybe the hardware has to be exactly the same too ???? :confused:

Taustin Powers
Sep 29, 2009, 03:48 AM
Wow, if that is the case, that really sucks.

I guess I should start doing regular backups of my PS3's hd. :(

MacRumorUser
Sep 29, 2009, 05:41 AM
Wow, if that is the case, that really sucks.

I guess I should start doing regular backups of my PS3's hd. :(

Well at least of your save games anyway.

ManhattanPrjct
Sep 29, 2009, 07:44 AM
Just out of curiosity, how long did it take for your PS3 to die?

On a bizarrely similar topic, I should be getting a new external HDD in the mail today to backup my own PS3 (after reading all of the terrible reviews of FW 3.0, I thought this would be a good time to start backing up...).

2nyRiggz
Sep 29, 2009, 09:52 AM
This is a launch console, just remember to back up your data on a regular. I'm going to try moving my 500GB HDD into my friend's fat version and see if I can get something out of it and If that don't work I will put it in an enclosure and try to pluck the my save game data from the external to my PS3 slim out of it one by one....It never hurts to try.

Bless

Peterkro
Sep 29, 2009, 10:03 AM
I really know nothing about game consoles but the BBC did a story on this recently where some guys took the motherboard out and stuck it in an oven to resolder the joints with some success. I don't know where you live but a site called console doctor does the repair in the U.K.

MattZani
Sep 29, 2009, 10:45 AM
The PS3 HDD will only work in the console it was formatted in, no other. It will just ask to format the HDD.

Could try finding someone to do the fix, then backup and sell for spares?

Superman07
Sep 30, 2009, 07:13 PM
My co-worker is going through the same problem with his son's PS3. Sounds like there isn't a solution. :(

xIGmanIx
Sep 30, 2009, 07:18 PM
this issue might be that you don't have a backup from your old PS3. I know you can upgrade your HD on the PS3 (Obviously) and there is an option in the XMB to do so, never thought about a hardware failure though. that stinks

2nyRiggz
Sep 30, 2009, 10:46 PM
Good news, I(with some help from my friend) was able to bring the PS3 back to life with a heat gun and thermal paste. It took us less than three hours to dissemble, heat, apply and resemble the machine and it was a success. The first thing I did was back up my 500GB HDD so if it goes down again I'll still have my saves in tact.

Thanks guys for all the suggestion...that was a close one. Remember to back up every once and a while guys.

Note: I let the PS3 run all night after we fixed it....and its still going.

Bless

JackAxe
Sep 30, 2009, 11:46 PM
Awesome!

What do you think caused your PS3 to cut out? Did it overheat? If that's the case though, at least on PCs, the screen will usually just go black and the system will reboot.

2nyRiggz
Oct 2, 2009, 08:19 AM
I think it got struck by a power surge.(It was a stormy night when they were playing) My brother in law was playing it and he told me that it shut itself down and never came back up. Although I didn't see any component destroyed when I opened it up I still went ahead and applied the paste and fixed the battery compartment.

It worked in the end but I don't know how long it will last but thats cool with me because I've never used BC or the card readers...the slim is good enough for me.

Bless

MacRumorUser
Oct 2, 2009, 11:11 AM
^ I just discovered today that my cat's brought in a mouse, which then decided to bite through my PSP power cable whilst charging my psp and fried the mouse and power-supply :rolleyes: typical.....

2nyRiggz
Oct 2, 2009, 12:23 PM
^Your cats actually allowed the mouse to live long enough to screw with your power cord...Sounds like a Tom and Jerry moment was going on in there before Jerry got fried:D

So does that mean you're in the market for a pspgo?;)

Bless

sikkinixx
Oct 2, 2009, 07:25 PM
^Your cats actually allowed the mouse to live long enough to screw with your power cord...Sounds like a Tom and Jerry moment was going on in there before Jerry got fried:D

So does that mean you're in the market for a pspgo?;)

Bless

Nah MRU is buying me one. A nice purdy white one. He has too much money anyway;)

MacRumorUser
Oct 3, 2009, 02:23 AM
Unfortunetly I had bought a few psp ges lately too :( I'm just gonna buy a cheap third party adapter. Still can't justify PSPgo yet! :)

carlosbutler
Oct 4, 2009, 03:53 PM
Try and see if its the hard drive or the PS3 that has broken. If its the YLOD (yellow light of death... what a lame name:p) then you can fix it since I did it just today. Then you can back up data on a USB hard drive and 'restore' data on the new console.

Here is a link to fix the yellow light problem. (http://playstationlifestyle.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2376)

JackAxe
Oct 4, 2009, 07:46 PM
He was able to fix his PS3 using magic. :)

XNine
Oct 4, 2009, 09:21 PM
2 2 2 2 2nyyyyyyyyyy. Ingenious fixing man. ;)
I backa ll my saves up onto a compact flash card, then onto DVD. That's what I've found to be the best way of backing up.

Chicks dig the PS3.

2nyRiggz
Oct 5, 2009, 09:41 AM
Oni, whats your PSN so we can jam sometime. I don't see you on LIVE anymore but I don't have a gold membership anymore so PSN is the place:)

On topic: The PS3 is still working and the transfer of data went smooth....except the PS3 slim only recovers the save data and everything else has to be re-installed(bummer since I have over 30 games)

Bless

XNine
Oct 5, 2009, 10:14 PM
Oni, whats your PSN so we can jam sometime. I don't see you on LIVE anymore but I don't have a gold membership anymore so PSN is the place:)

On topic: The PS3 is still working and the transfer of data went smooth....except the PS3 slim only recovers the save data and everything else has to be re-installed(bummer since I have over 30 games)

Bless

I think my PSN ID is just XNine Pretty sure it is anyway. I don't play a whole lot of games on their though as I've built a gaming rig. But there's a few I play.