Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

154115-zip-1.jpg
154115-zip-2.jpg

Zipcar's app, which was first demonstrated at Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference in June, made its appearance in the App Store today. The app can utilize the physical location of the iPhone or iPod touch and its wireless connectivity to provide search functionality and common transactions on the go.

154115-zip-3.jpg
154115-zip-4.jpg

Zipcar, a car-sharing service with locations in various cities and universities around the United States, offers car rentals by the hour or day with costs varying based on the driving plan selected. Through the Zipcar app, members can find nearby available cars, reserve them, and even remotely honk the car's horn and lock and unlock its doors.

The Zipcar app is available in the U.S. App Store here (link opens iTunes) and is free.

Article Link: Zipcar Drives into App Store

vwDavid

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2007
Hmm, I'm sure they have thought if this but I want to know what happens when its my turn for the car and my shopping is in the trunk and any joe blow can come up and unlock it?

iHavenolife

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2005
Great Lakes Region
Hmm, I'm sure they have thought if this but I want to know what happens when its my turn for the car and my shopping is in the trunk and any joe blow can come up and unlock it?

you have keycard like item that you need to hold near the upper righthand corner of the windshield of the car to unlock it, it will only unlock for the keycard that is registered to have that car during that time.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
how does insurance work with these ziplock cars?

insurance and gas are included in the rental. Mileage is limited to 180 miles a day, anything over that, you get charged extra per mile. They also have a deal going on right now where you can reserve the car from 6pm - 8:30am Monday (might even start on Sunday) - Thursday for $29. Pretty good deal, if you ask me.

I live near downtown Portland, and we use this quite a bit. Great to use if I want to go to the Columbia River Gorge for a nice evening hike.

optophobia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Hudson MA
you have keycard like item that you need to hold near the upper righthand corner of the windshield of the car to unlock it, it will only unlock for the keycard that is registered to have that car during that time.

Did you actually read the article ?

" Through the Zipcar app, members can find nearby available cars, reserve them, and even remotely honk the car's horn and lock and unlock its doors."

Anyway, you can only unlock / lock the car during your reservation period after you have scanned your actual membership card.

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
Awesome! This will be a HUGE hit in the major cities. People who don't own a car can now drive a car, and they won't have to rent it for an entire day. Competition with taxi cabs? Sure, but I like this! :)

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Is anyone else thinking of the practical joke of hiring a car, then waiting till people go past and hooting the horn? :D

rstansby

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
I think the important point is: your keycard (or iphone with app) can only unlock the car during the reservation period. Until today the keycard was the only option, now there is an app as well.

Did you actually read the article ?

" Through the Zipcar app, members can find nearby available cars, reserve them, and even remotely honk the car's horn and lock and unlock its doors."

Anyway, you can only unlock / lock the car during your reservation period after you have scanned your actual membership card.

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
This whole Zipcar thing is really cool. I'm going to New York later this year and I really want to try one out.

Is anyone else thinking of the practical joke of hiring a car, then waiting till people go past and hooting the horn? :D

Expensive but yes, a fun past time with my own car.

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
I think the important point is: your keycard (or iphone with app) can only unlock the car during the reservation period. Until today the keycard was the only option, now there is an app as well.

Yes. Except you still need to use your card the first time you want to unlock the car each reservation. i.e. with only your iPhone but not your card you cannot gain access to the zipcar you've reserved... you still have to remember to bring your card, which is a bit of an inconvenience really.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
This is brilliant - it even let's you play with the remote, which makes realistic car horn, "lock" and "un-locking" sounds. This'll be a very useful app.

154115-zip-2.jpg

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
Awesome! This will be a HUGE hit in the major cities. People who don't own a car can now drive a car, and they won't have to rent it for an entire day. Competition with taxi cabs? Sure, but I like this! :)

zipcar has been around for 2-3 years now. Zipcar is only available in select cities, and they are in many university campuses only..http://www.zipcar.com/jhu/find-cars

they are in like 12 or so cities in the U.S. right now. I know, at least here, they have like 300 cars in Portland, scattered all over downtown. It really is convenient!

And you still need your zipcard. You cannot use the iPhone app to open the car...

dsl4c

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2007
Portland, OR
portland rocks

zip zip zip cars all around portland.. no joke.. they are everywhere and anywhere.. go PDX! although, I still prefer trimet personally..

Bonsai71

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2008

Only you can unlock the car during your reservation time, no other zipcar member can unlock the car, even with their zipcard (you get issued yours when you join - its like a regular office door/proximity card, except it opens cars) the same goes for the iPhone App, you have to sign in with your username and password in the app, and you can only control the car you have booked, during the time you have booked it.

You must leave the car empty of your shopping when your time is up. You can also extend the reservation if no one else has already booked it, if you need more time, at no cost penalty.

Zip car is not new, its been running for a few years, the iPhone App is new, but is just the cherry on top of an already really amazing service.

Not until you suggested it :)

Yes. Except you still need to use your card the first time you want to unlock the car each reservation. i.e. with only your iPhone but not your card you cannot gain access to the zipcar you've reserved... you still have to remember to bring your card, which is a bit of an inconvenience really.

I can't imagine not having my card on me, so many times I've suddenly needed a car, and been able to book it on the spot and jump in - this app makes that even easier now, and solves the one pain in the ass part of the card, you now have a remote key fob in the shape of your iPhone during your reservation.

That whole system is awesome!

Yes. Yes it is. I'm a huge fan - I've been car ownership free for 12 years now, and used to hire cars fairly regularly (about 10 times a year) from the likes of Budget and Hertz, and it was always a HUGE PAIN - long line up at the rental desk, lots and lots and lots of typing by the rental agent (even though you were there 2 weeks ago, and NONE of your details have changed) then the inspection walk around, finally able to drive it away; typically taking an hour all told to get to the rental site, get the car, then get it home again to load up and go. Then you have to do that AGAIN when you return it, line up at the desk, lots and lots of typing again, vehicle inspection with the agent, overpriced fuel if you forgot to fill up, or they stiff you on the difference, or rip you off with any excess fuel you put it, etc. etc. etc. etc. aaand all this during their office hours too - I hated it, but put up with it, cause it was still cheaper than owning and insuring my own car.

Then Came ZipCar.

And they really changed everything for the car rental model. The cars are near you in parking lots of places you already go - supermarkets, hotels, downtown - they can be rented for 1 hour. At 3am on a Sunday if you need it. Everything is paid for in that one hourly rental rate - the car, the gasoline, the insurance, the parking fee where that car lives. (not the parking where you might take it).

One usage I never could have done before, is the lunchtime downtown rental, its near where you work, you book it for an hour, and drive somewhere nice, then return back to downtown, and put it back in its reserved parking spot. For $10. All in. To park your own car there in that same lot during the day would have cost $15 in parking alone, and your spot would go during lunch, maybe from the entire lot. zip cars are reserved spaces, always near the exit/entrance.

I can go on - and on - its just too awesome, IKEA, Groceries, Ski Trips, Emergencies, Whimsies, Getting a 52" TV home from Best Buy, Being able to take it across the border, Being able to rent in any country with your existing membership, wide choice of vehicles to suit your task, mood, budget and location.......

Even if you have a car, consider joining on the cheap annual plan, there will be times it will help you out, and maybe, just maybe, you'll consider taking a short break from owning when you next trade up your car, and see how long ZipCar, Transit, Taxis, Limos, Kayaks, Your Feet and that Bicycle That Hangs in the Garage can work for you instead.

http://www.zipcar.com - I don't work for them. I would have their babies. But I'm a dude.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.