Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spazma7ik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
So I have had my 32GB for a few weeks now and have noticed that my speaker is really distorted when I turn up the volume to max on the external speaker. I thought it was just my iPod because listening to my friends 2G touch it sounded nothing like this when turned up all the way.

Well i went into the Apple Store to try and get an exchange and when I talked to the genius guy at the bar he told me that he could definitely hear the distortion and then we went to go see if it was like that on all the Touches or just mine. So after listening to a few 32's they all sounded like this when playing the same song.

Then I told him that I was listening to one in the store that didn't sound like that, so we went over to the one I was referring to and listened to it, and lo and behold it sounded crispy clear. No distortion at full audio, then he told me the bad news, we looked at the back and it was an 8GB 3rd Gen Touch.

After listening to a few of both models we realized that it was a problem specific to 32GB models.

Please note that this was with no EQ and sound check off.

I was wondering, to those with a 3rd Gen iPod, could you please list what model you have and if you have quality issues with distortion when playing at full audio on the external speaker.

kwajkat

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
I have no problems with the speaker on my 3rd gen 64GB. In fact the speaker is so much better than the one on the 2nd gen itouch I had. It is louder and the quality is great.

Maybe you got one from a batch from that store that have defective speakers.

McBeats

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2007
erf
i thought the new 8gb is really just a 2g still, no under-the-hood changes.

im sure its been said a million times, but someone clarify this plz :)

Barbie

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2009
ocean
i thought the new 8gb is really just a 2g still, no under-the-hood changes.

im sure its been said a million times, but someone clarify this plz :)

maybe the new 32GB speaker is simply worse than the old 8GB speaker?

although
there's been one cosmetic change to the 8GB (the 8GB sign on the back is smaller than before), so maybe a small speaker change ...

:)

spazma7ik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
I have no problems with the speaker on my 3rd gen 64GB. In fact the speaker is so much better than the one on the 2nd gen itouch I had. It is louder and the quality is great.

Maybe you got one from a batch from that store that have defective speakers.

Are you serious? Like you turn sound check off, and turn it up full blast and hear no distortion on any of your songs? If so then maybe it's just 32GB models?

spazma7ik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
My 32gb is not bad. If I turn it up all the way, it sounds sorta distorted, but if I move it down 2-3 notches, I can hear it perfectly.

Yeah same here, but you see it should sound perfect even at max volume. If you listen to a different model you'll notice a better sounding speaker at full blast on almost any other one.

LordEntropy

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
So this is more than a little disappointing but hopefully now this has been acknowledged in an actual Apple store they may do something about it.

Question will be how long it will be until the "fixed" models appear, if Apple decide to fix them and whether anyone who buys an earlier one will be automatically entitled to a replacement.

So looking back through this thread I cannot see if the OP ended up with a replacement or not?

spazma7ik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
So this is more than a little disappointing but hopefully now this has been acknowledged in an actual Apple store they may do something about it.

Question will be how long it will be until the "fixed" models appear, if Apple decide to fix them and whether anyone who buys an earlier one will be automatically entitled to a replacement.

So looking back through this thread I cannot see if the OP ended up with a replacement or not?

No I didn't because he said that since all the 32GB models we tested sounded like this, so he couldn't exchange. But what I could do was downgrade to an 8GB if I wanted, but the trade off isn't worth it to me.

I'm really upset about it though. I just want a fully functioning speaker..

LordEntropy

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
No I didn't because he said that since all the 32GB models we tested sounded like this, so he couldn't exchange. But what I could do was downgrade to an 8GB if I wanted, but the trade off isn't worth it to me.

I'm really upset about it though. I just want a fully functioning speaker..

I sympathise. I was thinking of getting a 3g 32gb for Christmas to replace my 1g but now I am reconsidering. May need to hold off until I can see that they have fixed this.

Have we confirmed that this plagues all 32gb and 64gb 3g Touches??

storch

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2009
my word!

i thought i was the only one who had that problem, its very very annoying. the speakers of my 32gb sounds very noticeably distorted even when the volume is close to the loudest. it just sucks coz there was no camera at first and now we have to deal with this. :mad:

tenand2indy

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2009
My 32GB Gen3 Touch has the same issue. Granted the speaker sucks anyway so I use headphones to listen to anything other than game sound effects. But it still sucks

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
So I have had my 32GB for a few weeks now and have noticed that my speaker is really distorted when I turn up the volume to max on the external speaker. I thought it was just my iPod because listening to my friends 2G touch it sounded nothing like this when turned up all the way.

Well i went into the Apple Store to try and get an exchange and when I talked to the genius guy at the bar he told me that he could definitely hear the distortion and then we went to go see if it was like that on all the Touches or just mine. So after listening to a few 32's they all sounded like this when playing the same song.

Then I told him that I was listening to one in the store that didn't sound like that, so we went over to the one I was referring to and listened to it, and lo and behold it sounded crispy clear. No distortion at full audio, then he told me the bad news, we looked at the back and it was an 8GB 3rd Gen Touch.

After listening to a few of both models we realized that it was a problem specific to 32GB models.

Please note that this was with no EQ and sound check off.

I was wondering, to those with a 3rd Gen iPod, could you please list what model you have and if you have quality issues with distortion when playing at full audio on the external speaker.

I know this is way off topic!

but are you the one they once called the infamous "THE SPAZ"? who got kicked out in Aug 09? idk, just asking?! :D :D :D :D

LordEntropy

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
So going back to the OP. So when you didn't accept an 8 gig model what did the guy say?

I think you guys with 32 gig models if you are not happy you need to do the same. Take it in and illustrate the problem on the existing in store stock. Only with sufficient visibility of the problem will Apple do anything about it.

ryan.stewie

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Australia
i have no speaker problems with my 3rd gen 32GB, even at max volume.:D i dont like turning it up to max though, it makes feel like the ipod will explode.:eek:

spazma7ik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
So going back to the OP. So when you didn't accept an 8 gig model what did the guy say?

I think you guys with 32 gig models if you are not happy you need to do the same. Take it in and illustrate the problem on the existing in store stock. Only with sufficient visibility of the problem will Apple do anything about it.

He just said he can't give me a replacement if the problem persists in all the 32's on display, and that I just have to deal with it, but that he doesn't use his speaker much anyways, and thinks of it as useless.

I really want a 64 now just to see if that fixes the problem.

oceansatori

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2009
please continue this investigation.... i was just about to buy a 32g, but audio is of critical importance... any 64g reports out there?

monmon238

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2009
same problem for me tooo.......this sucks...i replaced my old 16gb touch 2g for the new 32gb touch 3g and a horrible speaker wasn't what i signed up for.

Lok3sh

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2009
i just bought the 64gb touch yesterday. had the 8gb for about 2 months and decided eff this, i need more space lol. and that was the FIRST thing i noticed abt the 64gb touch... the speaker SUCKS royally. at full volume it sounds like a crappy recording of a concert where the recording device could not deal with the bass... everything sounds better with the bass reduce EQ on... but i dont want the damn EQ on for the headphones as well! theres no way to set different EQs for the external speaker. and im to lazy to keep changing it... hate you apple...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.