PDA

View Full Version : My First Post

Mickie Mac
Jul 13, 2004, 05:11 AM
Well i finally did it. I've been reading MacRumors for about 1 year now (mostly at work) and I finally joined. At the moment I have a G4 with OS 9.2 and next week I'm upgrading to OS X! I'm soo excited. :D

If anyone has any tips or things i should try with my new OS please don't hesitate to share!

Thanks all :cool:

Rod Rod
Jul 13, 2004, 06:15 AM
Congratulations on the post, and on making the move to system 10. A whole lot of the keyboard shortcuts you're used to will work in the new OS, so try them out and you'll feel right at home quickly.

Mickie Mac
Jul 13, 2004, 06:21 AM
I'm also in the world of Graphic Design (as most Mac users are). I like to use photoshop and Quark, what are some other OS 10 programs I should try?

michaelrjohnson
Jul 13, 2004, 09:29 AM
There are *tons* of immensely valuable shareware/freeware apps for OS X. You will enjoy it more than you know. There's too much to reccomend, but keep posting, and we'll all be sure to answer. Welcome to OS X, and welcome to MR!

iGav
Jul 13, 2004, 09:34 AM
I'm also in the world of Graphic Design (as most Mac users are). I like to use photoshop and Quark, what are some other OS 10 programs I should try?

I'm a designer too... :D I'd drop Quark though if I were you... InDesign is much better. ;)

King Cobra
Jul 13, 2004, 12:03 PM
Great, first posts...

Look, OS X is quite different from OS 9. Get excited when things work better for you than you expect, or so much easier than you're used to (no 3rd-party software is needed for your printer to work, and you can navigate through Finder windows). But also get used to some drawbacks on the operating system. Applications take longer to launch on OS X than OS 9, and boot time is greater on OS X than OS 9. There'll be others you notice as you develop a working knowledge of OS X. This one took me a while to understand: You can log out and log into OS X even if you're not on a network, and you can set up user accounts for different people that will use that one machine under OS X.

Doctor Q
Jul 13, 2004, 02:45 PM
boot time is greater on OS X than OS 9Which leads to another difference: you shouldn't have to reboot other than to install new O.S.-level software, particularly Mac OS X updates. The total amount of time you spend rebooting in a month should be less with OS X, since it keeps running and running, Energizer-bunny-style, without crashes or freezes due to application errors.

MacsRgr8
Jul 13, 2004, 05:23 PM
Which leads to another difference: you shouldn't have to reboot other than to install new O.S.-level software, particularly Mac OS X updates. The total amount of time you spend rebooting in a month should be less with OS X, since it keeps running and running, Energizer-bunny-style, without crashes or freezes due to application errors.

Yep!

And because of memory caching, apps which have been used before launch much faster the next time.... so don't reboot unless you really have to!

Mac OS X is the best!

tech4all
Jul 13, 2004, 05:59 PM

I'm right there with ya (well I'm still a graphic design student). On my Mac I have Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, GoLive, Dreamweaver, Flash, and FreeHand. I would upgrade to the new Adobe CS. I've used Quark for about 2 years now (on the PC), but since I got CS I'm now with InDesign. You might want to consider switching to InDesign as it works well with Photoshop and Illustrator. And the industry is slowly going to InDesign from Quark. Aside from layout, go ahead and get Illustrator as well.

Oh yeah, CONGRATS on your first post, and welcome! :D :p ;) :)

King Cobra
Jul 13, 2004, 06:00 PM
The total amount of time you spend rebooting in a month should be less with OS X, since it keeps running and running, Energizer-bunny-style, without crashes or freezes due to application errors.
Actually, I've had exactly the opposite experience. I find that if I keep my computer running for 3 days or so using the sleep mood as opposed to rebooting it, OS X gives me double or triple the problems I have compared to just after a fresh reboot. That's why when I'm done using the computer, I shut it down. In fact, I never use the sleep function except if my mouse unclicks at that option when it should have unclicked at "Reboot...," or if I don't remember to shut it down.

wdlove
Jul 13, 2004, 08:48 PM
Actually, I've had exactly the opposite experience. I find that if I keep my computer running for 3 days or so using the sleep mood as opposed to rebooting it, OS X gives me double or triple the problems I have compared to just after a fresh reboot. That's why when I'm done using the computer, I shut it down. In fact, I never use the sleep function except if my mouse unclicks at that option when it should have unclicked at "Reboot...," or if I don't remember to shut it down.

I leave mine run 24/7, as many on this forum have recommended. Leaving the Mac run it allows the system to run many self maintenance programs. Mine has been running flawlessly for months now.

cb911
Jul 13, 2004, 10:37 PM
congrats Mackie! :)

as far as apps for design go... i'd recommend you give InDesign a go as well. ;)

also you should try to leave your compy on as long as possible, if you want to. i leave my PB on unless it really slows down, i've been up 8 days now. if you just log out and then back in that clears all of the swap files and any used RAM, so i just keep doing that instead of rebooting, it's also alot faster.

also, how much RAM do you have? you'll probably notice that OS X is alot more RAM hungry than 9.

Doctor Q
Jul 14, 2004, 01:15 AM
Actually, I've had exactly the opposite experience. I find that if I keep my computer running for 3 days or so using the sleep mood as opposed to rebooting it, OS X gives me double or triple the problems I have compared to just after a fresh reboot.That's not normal and I'm sorry you have to put up with it. I don't know what causes that or what (short of a fresh install) might fix it. You might try turning off sleeping options for a day or two to see if it is the sleeping that results in the problems you have, or something else that "builds up" and requires an occasional restart. You might also try restarting the Finder once in a while, without restarting the whole Mac.

Mickie Mac
Jul 14, 2004, 11:19 PM
Thanks so much for the helpful tips. I currently have a roomate who has used a PC her whole life and over the last year I've been "converting" her to a Mac. She is nervous about the new system but I've assured her that it's much better :) .

As for waiting a week for my new OS, the date moved up to today :D I'm soooo excited to start playing!

Thanks again for the tips and I'd love to hear more. I'm going to look into InDesign ;)

-Mickie

Mickie Mac
Jul 14, 2004, 11:20 PM
As to the question about RAM... at the moment I have 256 and in 2 days will be getting another 256.