PDA

View Full Version : Could get an eMac for $25

Pakaku
Sep 28, 2009, 10:40 PM
...but I don't know much more about it.

Apparently the university I go to is having a sale on older surplus electronics they're trying to get rid of, and eMacs are on the list for $25. Sounds like an alright deal to me, not much money out of my pocket. They say they're getting rid of "computers from last year", so that sounds like it could be the 2005 model, but it could still mean anything really. I emailed them about the specs and serial, but no reply yet.

I've read topics like these: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2150990&tstart=1 and know about the risks and what to look for. I'm going to go in tomorrow, check it out, and probably buy it anyways for collective purposes, just like to know your opinions first.

MacHamster68
Sep 28, 2009, 10:47 PM
simply buy one or two or three for that price , even if they are early 700mhz ones , still worth the money , if you are lucky you might really get the later usb2 models only the 1.25 models had capacitor problems , but if they used them since 2005 and no problems so far they will last
i would buy the job lot keep the best one and sell the others for a profit on ebay :)

mrsir2009
Sep 28, 2009, 10:52 PM
Yeah that's a pretty good price, about what they're worth :D

Scippy
Sep 28, 2009, 10:55 PM
eMacs are always nice to have around. If anything, you could probably sell them on eBay for a profit.

mrsir2009
Sep 28, 2009, 11:00 PM
I have an old G3 iMac, which is almost the same. It lives in my garage roof most of the time now :D

hughvane
Sep 29, 2009, 02:26 AM
With all due respect to Machamster, it's all but the 1.42 MHz eMacs that have/had capacitor problems (fingers crossed). Add to that some odd CRT monitor display issues (sensitive to hot conditions). Its upgrade options are limited to RAM, HD, optical drive and airport.

USB2 models are better, they came out in the US in April 2004.

However, all said and done, the eMac, like its predecessor iMac, is a rock-solid computer that will handle many of everyday activities.

Pakaku
Sep 29, 2009, 08:51 PM
Thanks guys, I waited in line for over two hours and by the time it was my turn, all the eMacs were still there. :) I bought two already, one for me and one for my dad

Turns out neither of them have wireless internet, though. Any cheap ways to get wifi running? I already spent 100$ on a card for another Mac, that's worth more than the eMac itself!

paulbeattie87
Sep 30, 2009, 12:55 PM
Thanks guys, I waited in line for over two hours and by the time it was my turn, all the eMacs were still there. :) I bought two already, one for me and one for my dad

Turns out neither of them have wireless internet, though. Any cheap ways to get wifi running? I already spent 100$ on a card for another Mac, that's worth more than the eMac itself!

You should have asked to choose which ones you wanted :P

As for wireless, you should be able to pick up an adaptor on eBay pretty cheap. Just search for usb airport and you should find a heap.

rdowns
Sep 30, 2009, 01:32 PM
eMacs are always nice to have around. If anything, you could probably sell them on eBay for a profit.

Who would buy one and have to pay to ship it?

Pakaku
Oct 1, 2009, 01:46 AM
You should have asked to choose which ones you wanted :P

Meh, they were all the same so I picked the nicest-looking two. :P If a USB adaptor will work, then that's good enough for me.

MacHamster68
Oct 1, 2009, 02:41 AM
welcome to the emac family :)
cheap wifi solution the airport cards are usually not very expensive on ebay
if your emacs are usb 2.0 models , then you could use normal wifi usb dongles
but they are not that much cheaper , so i would look for a cheap airport or airport extrem card then you wont block a usb port :D

three
Oct 1, 2009, 04:25 PM
Buy a couple, I'd buy them just to collect.